Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM View Post #11 (Link)
Charlie (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 13
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
Ugh Charlie I feel that big time. My writing suffered terribly in college. I'm only just now figuring out how to build it into everyday life again.

Last year I felt like there was NO WAY I could make time to work on my art with all the other academic stuff going on (to be fair, art was also academic, so I had to paint something eventually to hand in). Eventually I scheduled time where I had to be in my studio. I didn't have to work on anything serious, I just had to be there for two hours four or five days a week. Usually I went between classes or right after I had dinner, because I never did real work at those times anyway. It set up a good routine. If there's anywhere that you can make yourself go to write like a library, and go there for an hour every day, writing might be doable. It's just an hour.

It's easier to build things into your routine then it is to give up sleep. Don't do it, man. When I was a freshman I never slept, and when I did it was at weird ass hours. As a sophomore I started sleeping 7 or 8 hours a night and my grades skyrocked.

/advice rant
The first and second years were all right, I could manage everything perfectly - which is strange because there were more days - but with critiquing people's work and giving my time over to immersing myself in their work, leaves little time for my own.

I suppose I could schedule time, there are only two days I'm actually at uni. I just have to think about commuting time and the amount of time I spend on other people's work, and the time I spend on my own. I'm sure there's some time somewhere, it just feels like there's hope hope, that someone found the light at the end of the tunnel and decided it needed a dimmer switch.

Oh I know what giving up sleep does - that's part of the unNaNoWriMo thing. Sleep and I have a strange relationship at the moment anyway - my mind doesn't want to - so I spend hours dozing in my room, completing easy crosswords.

Thanks for the advice, I will be sure to put it to good use, simply because I'm too much of an egomaniac to let something like 50k words beat me.

Like Charlie? Love Various Altitudes!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:12 PM View Post #12 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
November is seriously fast approaching now and I've finally decided what I'm going to do. Calen's story about Audrey. Wahhoooo.

This is my NaNo page. Add me as a buddy if I don't have you already.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:11 PM View Post #13 (Link)
Fluke (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 9
Lordy lordy! We're five days in already!

This is the first year I've done NaNoWriMo, how's everyone else doing? Although I didn't enter my word count until the fifth day, I think I'm doing pretty well. If anyone wants to be a "writing buddy", here's a link to my profile majiggy.

Dispatch Progress
Word Count: 46883/70000

Last edited by Fluke; 11-05-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Reason: Forgot my thingy
Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM View Post #14 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Now we've had two whole weekends (more or less) to write, and I'm a little behind on my fake NaNo that I'm going (write 20 poems). But I've finished 6! and I only did something procedural and chancy for one of them. My goal is to have 8 done by the end of the day. I've discovered that my main character really likes Andy Warhol and going to art openings for the free drinks; she once went to a party in an abandoned but fully furnished and decorated condo in the woods; and as time goes on she takes her camera everywhere.

How is everybody else doing?

Last edited by Isis; 11-11-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:28 PM View Post #15 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
Bloody nora. I am on target, thank god for that. Almost two weeks. I'm slowly losing momentum, but yesterday I wrote 6,000 after having missed a day completely and doing less the other day. But 6,000 in a few hours was fantastic, so I'm proud of that.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 PM View Post #16 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
Now we've had two whole weekends (more or less) to write, and I'm a little behind on my fake NaNo that I'm going (write 20 poems). But I've finished 6! and I only did something procedural and chancy for one of them. My goal is to have 8 done by the end of the day. I've discovered that my main character really likes Andy Warhol and going to art openings for the free drinks; she once went to a party in an abandoned but fully furnished and decorated condo in the woods; and as time goes on she takes her camera everywhere.

How is everybody else doing?
Whooo, that's beautiful. I'd like to meet her.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM View Post #17 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
I'm only at like 4k. Assignments and distractions hoo-boy. I do intend to at least hit 20k by the end of the month though, but I'm not allowing myself to write until after my essay (due friday) is done.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:00 PM View Post #18 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
21,676 in and I should get there by the end of the month!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 AM View Post #19 (Link)
Fluke (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 9
I come home tired every single day (on a side note: work sucks). I only write like 1,600 words a day, so unless I have a writing spurt, then I should finish right on time... or like on December 1st. If that happens I'm going to throw a chair.

What you are guys writing about?

I'm actually writing something that I've drafted before (17,000 words in 2008) and outlined heavily, so call it cheating if you will, but I am focused on completing a first draft. That will be my real prize, not some bragging rights or a button or whatever.

Dispatch Progress
Word Count: 46883/70000
Old 11-14-2012, 09:04 PM View Post #20 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
Well, It's really complicated. It's called The Paradise and I struggled to write the short synopsis for it. I didn't want to really give away anything, I'm just too busy writing it!