Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 09-22-2012, 12:47 PM View Post #1 (Link) NaNoWriMo 2012!
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
Hey!

Guess what time of year it is? It's the end of September! Which means it's a month until the end of October which means it's very almost NaNoWriMo!

I'm lucky that this year I have two stories I could continue/finish/start/whatever. Both of them are different and both of them I have adequate characterisation for.

One of them is Audrey before Village is destroyed. A kids book! Waahoo! And the other is a young adult fiction novel. Avery! That probably meant nothing to a large percentage of people on here.

Anyvays, what are you planning to do? Have you done any planning yet? Are you actually going to do it and do you think you'll win? Are you setting yourself different targets?

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:01 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
I'm going to take advantage of the 'errybody write erry day alla time' atmosphere of NaNoWriMo to work on and hopefully get close to finishing a book of poems about Claudine. It's not going to be a verse novel the way "An Autobiography of Red" by Anne Carson is, but it tells stories and it's about a main character, which is close enough for NaNo for me. I haven't written prose I was happy with in 5 years, so I think that ship has sailed, but I want to participate in my own way and try to get something serious finished. Including stuff I've written already, I'm aiming for 20-40 pages/poems.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 PM View Post #3 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Oooh, that's a creative way of approaching non-prose NaNoWriMo. I'd totally do that if I could write poetry, which I can't, so you know.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:17 AM View Post #4 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
I'm going to take advantage of the 'errybody write erry day alla time' atmosphere of NaNoWriMo to work on and hopefully get close to finishing a book of poems about Claudine. It's not going to be a verse novel the way "An Autobiography of Red" by Anne Carson is, but it tells stories and it's about a main character, which is close enough for NaNo for me. I haven't written prose I was happy with in 5 years, so I think that ship has sailed, but I want to participate in my own way and try to get something serious finished. Including stuff I've written already, I'm aiming for 20-40 pages/poems.
If you publish that, I will buy it. First edition.

But I'm probably skipping Nano this year, po' me. I'm writing every day (new years resolution, less than good idea but not a bad one), so. And I'm working on a novel but if I pay attention to word count I'll lose it. So. I get to snicker at you all while you stay up late and stress bliss stress.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:33 AM View Post #5 (Link)
bookworm (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 151
I have a novel which I've only just got round to writing properly a few weeks ago. I want to take part in NaNo, of course--I've been thinking about it since December--but I'm a bit scared it'll rush and maybe ruin my story. I dunno. Perhaps I'll set myself a goal of writing 50k of anything without burdening my novel, for which I want to think through absolutely everything; I'm writing it in longhand and enjoying the experience a lot. Of course I could edit, but last year it took me 16 days to finish my novel. I saved the document, closed it, and barely looked at it again. I haven't even reread it. I don't want that to happen to my new novel.

And yes, I'm also buying Claudine <333

Last edited by bookworm; 09-23-2012 at 07:37 AM.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
I think I'm pretty much going to do what I did last year, and set myself my own target of 30k. In the previous years where I've gone for 50k, I've done it, and then had very little that's even worth keeping to edit, and it feels rather like I've just rushed through my stories and got bored. Even though I definitely hope to go back to my other novels at some point, I reckon I will restart from scratch.

The novel I've been writing for a year now, I started off in a frenzy last September and knocked out 25k in about three weeks. Most of what I wrote then has stayed past my editing stage, which is odd - but I wasn't concerned about how much I wrote, I was just enjoying writing, and if felt very different from my Nano experiences. I then did Nano with something different (but that's now been combined with he idea I had before) and got 37k, and most of that I haven't yet touched, and most of it will just end up in the cut bin as the story's changed. Since Christmas I've been doing a lot of character development and worldbuilding, and adding stuff, and now the story's changed, but so far I've not felt bored by this story at all, even though it's definitely the most slow-going project I've ever written.

So with that in mind, I'm much more happy to go slower and do a lower target for the faint hope of not panicking and writing a load of terrible drivel, but actually writing something worth editing and enjoying it at the same time.

So yeah. 20-30k in the month is my target, and if I don't get it I won't be too worried.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
All I need to do is write a novel that isn't based on medieval Europe.

Fifty kay of that, and I will consider myself successful.

No wait, normally I set higher targets, don't I ... last year I did 80k. And it was awful, possibly because I was writing the wrong book. I'll aim for 75k then.

My mother is a fish.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:32 PM View Post #8 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

75k, bloody hell. I'll be glad if I hit 30k due to all the fucking work in the world. Damn college.

I've also settled on which one I am going to do. It's a children's novel. It's all planned out to be 22 chapters long and I know what's in all of the chapters. It's set as a sort of prequel to Audrey and involves Audrey at eleven years old. It has treehouses and rock pools and disease! What more could you want?

... I really hope I get to write this.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:38 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Charlie (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 13
And it looks like I won't be finishing NaNo this year. I'm just saying that uni got hard in the third year, who'd have thought it. Either way, we're a month before the event and I'm here wondering whether I have time to write, rather than what I'll write. The last week I've not even had time to read - this upsets me, I need to read.

Maybe it's just time management skills - maybe a time-table is the way to go, and I'll have to write between classes and whilst volunteering. We're definitely not having a repeat of certain events a few years ago.

Does anyone know a good way to become an insomniac?

Answers on a postcard.

Maybe I am making something out of nothing, maybe I'm having a breakdown. This is the life of a student writer - I'm not even drinking out of my gnome mug. :/

Until next time, that is all.

Like Charlie? Love Various Altitudes!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:54 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Ugh Charlie I feel that big time. My writing suffered terribly in college. I'm only just now figuring out how to build it into everyday life again.

Last year I felt like there was NO WAY I could make time to work on my art with all the other academic stuff going on (to be fair, art was also academic, so I had to paint something eventually to hand in). Eventually I scheduled time where I had to be in my studio. I didn't have to work on anything serious, I just had to be there for two hours four or five days a week. Usually I went between classes or right after I had dinner, because I never did real work at those times anyway. It set up a good routine. If there's anywhere that you can make yourself go to write like a library, and go there for an hour every day, writing might be doable. It's just an hour.

It's easier to build things into your routine then it is to give up sleep. Don't do it, man. When I was a freshman I never slept, and when I did it was at weird ass hours. As a sophomore I started sleeping 7 or 8 hours a night and my grades skyrocked.

/advice rant