Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-02-2012, 11:01 PM View Post #1 (Link) Any Editors?
MurphyWuzX (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Is there any free editors here? Any other site that I've been at has had free editors, and I wondered if any people here were willing.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:20 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
There are people here who will critique your work, but they are not editors, and in general they shouldn't be editing your work the way an actual editor at a publishing house or literary magazine would. That's not what we do here. We workshop, critique, and help each other. You can post your work here and get feedback. Some of the feedback will be minor changes, but most of it should focus on bigger picture things than punctuation, spelling, and sentence structure: things like plot, pace, style, imagery, use of figurative language, etc. The people who will respond to your work will be your peers (other young writers) and the price of this help will be participation - offering constructive criticism to others. The site functions as a community. Its not tit for tat - people who you have not helped will help you, but in turn you must help someone on the site.

For the most part, editing and revision is hard work that you must undertake yourself. Asking someone else to do it for free is a little bit rude and a lot lazy. Maybe someone will take you up on your offer, but instead I'd suggest that you get involved with the critiquing part of the site (click on the notepad symbol that says "Writing" at the top of the page) - it will be very beneficial to you in the long run. Critiquing and getting critiqued will teach you a lot about writing, and a lot about how to learn to write. If you don't know how to critique or have never done it before, that's ok! There are friendly mods called "Crit Sheriffs" with purple names, and they can help you. We even have guides to teach you how to critique. You can find a general guide to critiquing here, plus specific guides for critiquing fiction here and critiquing poetry there.

Last edited by Isis; 07-02-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:24 PM View Post #3 (Link)
MurphyWuzX (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Thanks for telling me! I really didn't know. Thanks!