Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:24 PM View Post #1 (Link) Whispering colors
fake magic (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 2

Photography has been a part of my life for a very long time. Even though my life wasn't that long.
I guess because of that I deserve much more critique than any amateur. Feel welcomed.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Last edited by fake magic; 06-11-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:22 PM View Post #2 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
I don't know how I feel about the two photos in the city. I just feel like city stuff like that is always photographed. The rest though are amazing. I take it the sky one you were on a plane? And what about the one of NYC?

Old 06-12-2012, 04:08 PM View Post #3 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
fake magic (Offline)
Novice Writer

City photos might be common but they have the kind of feeling in them.. This quote by Gene Mcsweeney describes it the best: We try to grab pieces of our lives as they speed past us. Photographs freeze those pieces and help us remember how we were. We don't know these lost people but if you look around, you'll find someone just like them.
The picture of the sky was simply taken from the inside of moving car, just a quick shot of amazing clouds. NYC view capture from the top of empire state building. Thanks for your comment!(:

Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM View Post #4 (Link)
fatma fuad (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
you really are a good photographer but i just think your pictures are too bright. that tsort of takes away the beauty of originality in them.this is especially obvious in the market pic.
i liked the last pic of the guy who's about to separate the two characters in the pic, has a lot of messages behind it.
overall, good

Old 06-21-2012, 09:33 AM View Post #5 (Link) Whispering Colors.
mazza (Offline)
Novice Writer

This phpotograph was captivating and the graphics were perfect i really liked the tranquility of it however if the photo had had a range of colors rather then just green it would have been more interesting. Well done!

Old 06-25-2012, 03:21 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Critique ahoy.

1. I like the mix of polish and mess in this photo. If it were a really controlled shot, there would be only one figure in the photo (the one smoking) and maybe some photogenic people in the background doing artsy/nostalgiac/european things. But the people in the background are just regular; for some weird reason they seem drawn to the shop window. Its like everyone in the photo is doing one thing (heading over to the shop, checking out something important or fascinating) while the subject in the foreground is indifferent or occupied with her own thoughts. I like the colors in the photo - how did you make them? Were they applied later in something like instagram, did you use an old camera with a light leak, did you develop the film yourself, did the summer day just diffuse it with those colors for real?

I think the main front of the building gets very contrast-y and washed out, but this might be the unavoidable result of bright sunlight on a bright surface. It just makes the balconies look weird. But I think if you took the contrast down in the photo you might lose some of the detail on the far left (the sliver you get to see of the next street over adds some interesting depth to the photo) and I'm not sure what would happen to the shadow of the tree on the building, which I find interesting.

2. I feel like this would be better were it larger. Mostly because I'm struggling to make out the detail - it seems like there's a LOT of detail in this photo. This doesn't totally remind me of the work of Andreas Gursky, but you should look at his work and think about the scale of photos (some are better huge, some are better tiny, and when you print photos in real life scale can make a HUGE difference). You can look at some of his photographs and learn about them here. Most of them are truly enormous and contain insane detail. The size of the print is listed below the image. Try and imagine how big that would be in life.

On to the photo: I like the contrast between the drab buildings, the bright signs with red characters, and the bright people on the street. I think the photo would be better without that black car in the foreground. I like that there's also some detail in the deep darks on the far left and inside the shop in the front. Overall it seems like everything in the photo is at the same level of focus and that's sort of disorienting; but that might be the size.

3. Pretty - taken from an airplane? And did you edit the colors or the edge of the clouds? It seems very pixely at the top border between dark blue sky and bright clouds.

4. I like the colors in this photo a lot, and the fact that the landscape in the background is the same set of tones as the skyscrapers. I also like the tilted angle, and the fact that you've captured enough landmarks to make me feel at home - the Chrysler and MetLife buildings scream, to me at least, "welcome back!!!" Pilots like to take you over the city when you fly into JFK or Laguardia, so a sight like this one (albeit from much farther away and with less detail) welcomes me whenever I fly back home from wherever I've been. How come you took the photo at a tilt?

5. This one is pretty, but I think its too glowy and diaphanous; I like the way everything seems transparent, but I wish there were more details visible in the flower - I think if the pistils and stamens (the parts sticking up above the petals) were in better focus this would be a stronger photo, because they would be clear anchor points surrounded by a glowing mass. I do like the way you've transformed the bee into something beautiful.

6. I think the best part of this photo is the scissors - pockmarked, dirty, with the brand name surviving it all. I'm not sure I like the way the darks on the hand are the same as the background tones - it helps make the foreground seem more unified with the surroundings, but still. Hm.
Something about the balance between the out of focus and slightly mottled background and the very sharp and clear foreground bugs me. The photo inside the photo is mottled like the background, but with light instead of dark colors.

So now, for questions: What kind of camera/cameras do you use? Do you have any favorite artists, photographers, graphic designers? Do you ever go look at photo exhibits or artist websites online?

Last edited by Isis; 06-25-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:41 PM View Post #7 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
fake magic (Offline)
Novice Writer

to fatma fuad:
Your comment made me think. It might be that my pictures are bright and I admit that most of the time I try making them bright. I guess they can get too bright sometimes. I'll try to be more careful. Thanks.

to mazza:
I guess you are talking about the green leaves photo. Well, it does have blue and black in it so I don't agree that more colors are needed, but thank you.

to Isis:
thank you for detailed critic, I appreciate it.
3. no, its taken from a moving car actually, and the clouds are pretty much natural.
4. I guess, I liked it more this way, without a tilt picture would look quite boring for my eyes(:

I use nikon D60 camera, nothing very fancy. All pictures here are taken with the most common Nikkor 18-55mm, except the one with a bee, for that one I used Micro Nikkor 105mm.
I have many people that inspire me. Many of them not that famous. I love natural photos with overflowing feelings, however my pictures rarely have that. I guess that even if I have people that I look up to, I don't copy them. I have my style which is just there, no matter if I like it or not.
If you want, you can check out Ezgi Polat's and Nirrimi's works. They inspire me.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:39 AM View Post #8 (Link)
infinity (Offline)
Literary Newbie

These photos are really good! They're taken with amazing quality!
i love taking photo's and these are great!!

Closed Thread