Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 PM View Post #11 (Link)
Rose (Offline)
Crit Trash Collector

Times Thanked: 454
1- Make a Spanish version of YWO.
2- Give Shaun more love.
3- World Domination.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM View Post #12 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
1) New chatroom.
2) Finish the update.
3) All of the above.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 PM View Post #13 (Link)
Jose (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 25
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
1- Make a Spanish version of YWO.
2- Give Shaun more love.
3- World Domination.
Shaun's rules are divine; he clearly said no world domination. He never mentioned leading the globalization of mother earth, though.

Hmm... how do I put this? My first impression of this group... You're a bunch of idiots. _Kakashi

Originally Posted by Rose in the chatroom
Jay is PURE CHARM, Faust. Listing facts.
New plan: World Domination - Shh!

Old 02-08-2012, 08:36 PM View Post #14 (Link)
FayGee (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 30
I guess my only solution is to stop coming on here, then.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some poems rhyme
This one doesn't

So ha.

I collect thank points.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:18 AM View Post #15 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 83
Guys, quit wasting your third choice. It's like wasting a vote.

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
1. I'd love for published authors to be able to interact with the site in some way, maybe writing up some guides, filming themselves giving some advice and posting it to a certain section of the forum, maybe linking their writing related podcasts? They wouldn't really interact with the main forum, but they could have their own section where they could post these things. It would give them some publicity and it would give us a chance to hear from the people actually working in the business. Maybe this is a bit overambitious, though. lol

2. A poet of the month and writer of the month. Like, picking one writer and one poet from the site and just displaying them for a month. It wouldn't be based on how good you are, but perhaps on how active you are and how much you contribute to the community, and maybe like, if you've accomplished something notable: if you've published something, written a novel (or several), etc.

3. A monthly word goal/word counter thing. I'm basically taking this idea from critiquecircle.com--they let you set a word goal for a month, and as the month progresses you can update your word count, and you'll have this little graph that shows your progress.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 PM View Post #17 (Link)
Julian (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 78
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
1. I'd love for published authors to be able to interact with the site in some way, maybe writing up some guides, filming themselves giving some advice and posting it to a certain section of the forum, maybe linking their writing related podcasts? They wouldn't really interact with the main forum, but they could have their own section where they could post these things. It would give them some publicity and it would give us a chance to hear from the people actually working in the business. Maybe this is a bit overambitious, though. lol

2. A poet of the month and writer of the month. Like, picking one writer and one poet from the site and just displaying them for a month. It wouldn't be based on how good you are, but perhaps on how active you are and how much you contribute to the community, and maybe like, if you've accomplished something notable: if you've published something, written a novel (or several), etc. Or the best works of the month?

3. A monthly word goal/word counter thing. I'm basically taking this idea from critiquecircle.com--they let you set a word goal for a month, and as the month progresses you can update your word count, and you'll have this little graph that shows your progress.
Awesome.

1) A section for book clubs that is visible enough for people to go and participate.

2) A more advanced 'message' text box, with tools that further facilitate critiquing. You know, like that textbox in Wordpress. I want my red text to be red in the text box, not in that coded version. I bet that many people share this sentiment, and I think that more people will be galvanised to critique if the critiquing tools were easier to use.

3) Better chatrooms, and more of these. A video chatroom. A chatroom designated for certain types of conversations (e.g roleplay, critiquing, lit. discussion, renaissance, Ancient Greek lit. discussion, contests, etc.).

Originally Posted by Bowie20049 View Post
  1. Deletion of completely inactive members to free up names for newer members/name changes OR Moving avatars That is, unless the user himself/herself tells you to preserve their account.
This. I can't emphasise the importance of this.

Last edited by Julian; 02-09-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:07 PM View Post #18 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
2) A more advanced 'message' text box, with tools that further facilitate critiquing. You know, like that textbox in Wordpress. I want my red text to be red in the text box, not in that coded version. I bet that many people share this sentiment, and I think that more people will be galvanised to critique if the critiquing tools were easier to use.
We did used to be able to do that. There was a button which used to toggle between viewing and hiding the coding, but it vanished a while back. Also, there's no difference between the Standard Editor and the Enhanced Interface options anymore, and I remember there used to be . . . perhaps a bug from the last update, maybe?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 PM View Post #19 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
My Mac's Firefox browser has this already. All the coding works in the box except the quotes. So my red is red. But my Safari browser doesn't; coding shows and not colour.

I want.
1. Writing Olympics that really do happen, at a convenient time.
2. A new chatroom that always loads (so Nasim's on ).
3. Rules and crit guidelines should have their own button, so that we can access them from anywhere without the dropdown menus.

What is Writing Beta? What did I miss? I haven't been here long enough.
Also... I wouldn't like videos on the homepage. It would make the site load more slowly (it loads amazingly fast now). It might block the site from my computer, because Youtube is going to be blocked, and I suspect they'd be connected with it.
Moving avatars would be even more annoying.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 PM View Post #20 (Link)
FayGee (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 30
Another thing: is it just me, or does YWO look really funny for everyone right now?

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some poems rhyme
This one doesn't

So ha.

I collect thank points.

Closed Thread