Forum
Community Forum
Today's Posts
FAQ & Rules
Members List

Writing
Writing Forum
Recent Posts
Critique Guidelines

Groups
YWO Social Groups
Facebook
Myspace

Chat
 
YWA

Register

Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 PM View Post #1 (Link) Top 3 Things You Want on YWO (for the future)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person
 
Shaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 5,691
Points: 11.33
Times Thanked: 142
This is your chance to tell us the top 3 things you want to see done on YWO in the future.

A couple rules:
1) They have to be reasonable things. World domination does not count.
2) You can only choose three. Period.

That's it.

My top 3:
1) New Chatroom that is reasonably priced (or free) (w/ mod features, etc. etc. etc.)
2) A YWO Homepage, with an embedded blog (Wordpress, perhaps) and other bells and whistles. This way we can have a YWO blog and embed nifty videos from YouTube and the like of author interviews.
3) The completion of the Writing Beta. Because it's so close...

And that's it. Your turn!
__________________
The Viking Amoeba Army is here! Run for your lives!

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
 
Old 02-07-2012, 11:42 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer
 
Bowie20049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: カリフオニヤです
Posts: 1,095
Points: 30
Times Thanked: 83
  1. New Chat Room(s) with options such as mod controls and maybe voice chatting and pizza delivery.
  2. Writing Beta. That's been up there for who knows how long.
  3. Deletion of completely inactive members to free up names for newer members/name changes OR Moving avatars.
__________________

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?
 
Old 02-08-2012, 12:52 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person
 
Lykaios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ὡς ἐν ἄλλῳ κόσμῳ
Posts: 1,374
Points: 30
Times Thanked: 115
1. Writing Beta
2. New Chatroom
3. Homepage
3.5 Moving avatars
3.6 Mod usernames should be blue not green

(you do realised everyone's going to say the same things just in different orders, right?)
  
						Last edited by Lykaios; 02-09-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:06 AM View Post #4 (Link)
FayGee (Offline)
Aspiring Author
 
FayGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: the home is where the heart is!
Posts: 528
Points: 22.57
Times Thanked: 30
1. Less inappropriateness.
2. Less inappropriateness.
3. Less inappropriateness.
Do you know how scared I am that one day my mother will come on here to check what it's like and completely blow her top because of abovementioned reason? You say this is a young writers' site. Well? Make it truly comfortable for young writers.
__________________
YWO Awards 2011:
Most Welcoming Member: FayGee
Worst Spammer: FayGee

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some poems rhyme
This one doesn't


So ha.

I collect thank points.
 
Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer
 
Bowie20049's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: カリフオニヤです
Posts: 1,095
Points: 30
Times Thanked: 83
Originally Posted by FayGee View Post
1. Less inappropriateness.
2. Less inappropriateness.
3. Less inappropriateness.
Do you know how scared I am that one day my mother will come on here to check what it's like and completely blow her top because of abovementioned reason? You say this is a young writers' site. Well? Make it truly comfortable for young writers.
There's a report button. Report it. Do you know any specific examples of inappropriateness?
__________________

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?
 
Old 02-08-2012, 05:55 AM View Post #6 (Link) ...
FayGee (Offline)
Aspiring Author
 
FayGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: the home is where the heart is!
Posts: 528
Points: 22.57
Times Thanked: 30
Originally Posted by Bowie20049 View Post
There's a report button. Report it. Do you know any specific examples of inappropriateness?
If I reported all that I see offensive, I wouldn't have time to live.
It's the easy swearing, explicit language (and quotes from the chatroom).
__________________
YWO Awards 2011:
Most Welcoming Member: FayGee
Worst Spammer: FayGee

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Some poems rhyme
This one doesn't


So ha.

I collect thank points.
 
Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Alice Glitterhorn (Offline)
Crit Sheriff
 
Alice Glitterhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Unicorn Valley
Posts: 74
Points: 23.42
Times Thanked: 76
Originally Posted by FayGee View Post
If I reported all that I see offensive, I wouldn't have time to live.
It's the easy swearing, explicit language (and quotes from the chatroom).
Young people hear this sort of stuff everywhere. Why does it offend you so much? I know I'd heard every bad word in the book by the time I was your age, and it usually made me giggle. How we talk is part of who we are, and if that offends you, don't talk to the people who use bad language.


Anyway.

1. New chatroom
2. Beta
3. Crit Camps
__________________
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Caleb
when I hear the word poet

I think of you naked, rimbaud drinking, and how lovely my hair is


They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the bong-tree grows;
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood,
With a ring at the end of his nose,

Word Count: 10000/50000
 
Old 02-08-2012, 05:40 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer
 
Carraka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Little Montenegro, down on the Adriatic Sea.
Posts: 1,948
Points: 30
Times Thanked: 121
1. Clean Alice's sig because it's inappropriate and misrepresents me.
2. More Lannister sex videos.
3. Completion of the writing beta.

Hmmm. I remember first time I heard easy swearing from my peers was when I entered middle school, and it was shocking to me then (11 years old) and also extremely disappointing. I guess I had expected better of the people around me. Time passed, I became disillusioned, and then eventually I became part of the pattern. But the first time my peers heard swearing from me was actually last winter, and I pulled it out for a special occasion, then stuffed it back in the closet. My real-life friends don't swear. They also don't use facebook. They don't text message. But they don't write either. So you can't have everything. Plus, they also don't go to this college. x.x Anywayyy ...

Once, my mom peered over my shoulder while I was on another writing site, and she saw a member's signature, which basically contained FUCK YEAH in large blue letters. Her reaction was that she felt very sorry for that member. Then again, she failed to stop me from reading George R. R. Martin at the ripe age of 12, so what sort of parent is she?
__________________
Corkscrewed alienation, rocking red. A kill. Joys again.
-- Alex

My mother is a fish.
  
						Last edited by Carraka; 02-08-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person
 
Lykaios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ὡς ἐν ἄλλῳ κόσμῳ
Posts: 1,374
Points: 30
Times Thanked: 115
Originally Posted by FayGee View Post
If I reported all that I see offensive, I wouldn't have time to live.
It's the easy swearing, explicit language (and quotes from the chatroom).
FayGee, the thing you have to understand here is that just about everyone who is age-appropriate for this site will either be regularly exposed to bad language through others, tv or books, or will use it themselves. Censoring language won't do anything - we're (mostly) not children - if you don't like it, you simply don't use it (like me) but you really can't tell others what not to say, especially when it's not harming anyone. I do understand where you're coming from though - I honestly don't see the point of swearing unless you cut your own foot off or something and would rather people didn't swear, too, but as I explained above, controlling other people is not on, and impractical.

Because you're younger than most members here, you'll probably have not been exposed to this as much yet. But you will, and I suppose being here could be like a way of getting used to it. If you get offended by every swear word or mock-dirty conversation, secondary school and college will be very tough for you.

The only times I think that that sort of thing should be stopped is when it's directed at someone in a non-friendly way. I've only ever seen that a couple times, and usually the person directed at deserved it, and if they didn't it has been reigned in by whoever else is around.
 
Old 02-08-2012, 07:51 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Jose (Offline)
Idea Scribe
 
Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Beirut
Posts: 96
Points: 30
Times Thanked: 25
1- Purple-ing more usernames.
2- Moving avatars sound cool.
3- Mainly, new chat room, one we can past link in it.
__________________
I eat Manga

Hmm... how do I put this? My first impression of this group... You're a bunch of idiots. _Kakashi

Originally Posted by Rose in the chatroom
Jay is PURE CHARM, Faust. Listing facts.
New plan: World Domination - Shh!
 
Closed Thread
Thread Tools

 


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 - Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All writing Copyright © its author(s). All other material Copyright © 2007-2012 Young Writers Online unless otherwise specified.
Managed by Andrew Kukwa (Andy) and Shaun Duke (Shaun) from The World in the Satin Bag. Design by HTWoRKS.