Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 PM View Post #1 (Link) A Sign
Bwandls (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 12
I was challenged to write a script based on a historical moment. Well, lol, it came out way more cheesy then I wanted, but I chose the fall of the Berlin wall. ALKAM's story is based off a true experience, too. And I hate the ending. So, yeah.

Destroy this beast!

A SIGN

EXT. SHOT – ELS – It is the morning of November 9th, 1989. Arial shot of Berlin, a large group of protestors visible on the east wall, awaiting family members and old friends on the west wall. The wall is not simply one wall but two, one on the east side and one on the west, with a huge gap referred to as “No Man’s Land” between them; it is filled with watch towers, trip-wires, barbed-wire fencing, ditches, machine guns, spotlights, vehicular-traps and a kill zone with attack-dogs on long leashes. “Hand Covers Bruise” by Trent Resnor and Atticus Ross plays in the background until the first shot of ALKAM and FRITZCHEN.

EXT. SHOT – MLS – Camera pans over top of wall, showing sharp glass shards and twisted barbed wiring protrude from parts of the top, rounded edges, with tons of graffiti covering the east wall. Scene begins to cross-cut between different views of the wall and the gathering protestors.

EXT. SHOT – MLS – High shot tilted down on the thousands of East-Berlin citizens chanting and screaming “Down with the wall!”. Signs can be seen on pickets throughout the crowd; one says “LOVE AND PEACE – THE WEST AND EAST!!”. Several people wave Berlin flags. One boy, ALKAM, age 22, stands amongst the crowd, dressed in a faded red sweater. His younger brother, FRITZCHEN, 18, wears a long, aged brown coat.]

ALKAM: [Voiceover as camera pans crowd] Finally, it was here – the day the wall would fall. I was excited –we would at last see “Eine Stadt der Freiheit”. The city of freedom. Yet, when I saw the people and troops all standing together, it reminded me of something that happened a long time ago.

[EXT. SHOT – MCU – We see ALKAM’s nervous face from a side profile, staring up the wall, followed by a low shot of the wall from ALKAM’s POV. We see a frontal MCU of FRITZCHEN. Camera switches to a MS of both standing side by side.]

FRITZCHEN: It's happening. It's actually happening! Vader was right – the Soviets can't stop us now, can they, Alkam?

[ALKAM seems unable to respond. He looks lost.]

FRITZCHEN: Alkam?

ALKAM: [Shakes head, then grins] No, they can't! We’re too close. Aunt Alda called from the other side last night; she said they'll all be waiting for us, with champagne and candies and flowers. She said she’s excited to meet us, and for us to meet little Filip. [thoughtfully] We’ll be uncles soon...

FRITZCHEN: [slyly] ...Do you think Mutti will let me have some champagne, too?

ALKAM: [chuckles] Maybe this once – it is a great day, today! Vadder and Mutti are both so excited. Papa says he can't even remember what the other side looks like, it's been so long.

FRITZCHEN: What do you think it's like? [mockingly] I hope the Wessi aren't as stupid as our Soviet “brothers”. [Air-quotes on “brothers”]

ALKAM: [laughs] Fritz, why do you always speaking of our Soviet “brothers” like that? [mocking] Don’t you mean Soviet friends?

FRITZCHEN: Well, you can pick your friends. [both laugh]

ALKAM: But no, the Wessi must be nice. They've never lived in a prison, like us. I bet they are always smiling, all the time.

FRITZCHEN: I bet the sausage is delicious. [groans, rubbing belly] I'm sick of the food here! Papa says the West side had the best sausages. Lucky Wessi’s don’t know what they’ve got.

ALKAM: We’ll be having them soon enough, Fritz. The wall will fall any day now. I know it!

FRITZCHEN: ... I wonder what they’ll think of us.

ALKAM: The Wessi? Didn’t I tell you?? They’re waiting for us on the other side. Everyone is sick of this stupid wall.

FRITZCHEN: Not everyone. Father says there are people who support the divide. He said it’s not just this wall, but Die Mauer im Kopf. The wall in people’s heads.

ALKAM: But more are supporting us! Look – even some of the guards have left their posts to join the protesters! Even some of them are on our side.

FRITZCHEN: It’s hard to think like that. They’ve kept us locked here like slaves for 28 years. We’re nothing but anti-communist dogs to them. That’s what Mutti says. [Looks to ALKAM] I never understood why the guards never seemed to bother you.

ALKAM: [Beat] It’s not that they don’t bother me. Lots of them piss me off, the way they just watch us through their binoculars in the watchtowers, never doing anything to help. But a few years ago, when I was just a small kid, no higher than the last button on your coat, I became “friends” with a guard.

FRITZCHEN: [laughs] Friends with a Grepo? Funny, Alkam. Always the joker.

ALKAM: [nods] One day, when I was visiting Opa – remember when he lived near the wall?
FRITZCHEN: Yeah, because everyone was jealous of him then. But it was only because he was too old to escape.(laughs) Opa’s house was very popular then.

[As ALKAM begins his story, we flashback to a small, modest house in the chilly winter of 79’. ALKAM, age 9, leans against the back wall in a faded red sweater. As he mentions them, we see a LS of the guards, just close enough to see the expressions on their faces.]

ALKAM: One day I was visiting him, and I was kind of close to the wall; his house was low-set, so there was no way I could look over it. But I would stand there, leaning against Opa’s house, just to be still and think,. I’d pretend, if I thought really hard, that if I tried I could peer over at all the Wessi. I wasn’t trying to escape or anything. Just looking.

His house faced the wall, and the watchtower beside it held two guards - two Grepo’s. [Camera shows MS of guards - one of them scanning with binoculars as usual, the other standing around, looking bored.] I don’t know what came over me – maybe it was the recklessness of the era, I don’t know – but I waved. I wasn’t scared. In fact, I was grinning like a fool. [Grins, pausing. We come back to the present.]

FRITZCHEN: Well? Were they suspicious? Send some guards down?

ALKAM: No. They did nothing at first. [We flashback and see the guards again. The one with the binoculars points at YOUNG ALKAM and says something to the other guard, who stops for a second, before he looks back and waves. The first guard forms a peace sign in the air. Both are smiling.] We were all smiling - like we were just neighbours with a big fence between us.

FRITZCHEN: And?

ALKAM: That’s it. They just kind of chuckled and looked away after.

FRITZCHEN: [Skeptical] Two friendly guards is all it takes to sway you? [Laughs] You soft-hearted fool! Look, I didn’t mean to bring this all up. You’re right, [puts hand on ALKAM’s shoulder] – we should be celebrating! Come on, let’s tear down this damn wall! [FRITZCHEN runs off to join others protesting in front of wall]

[We see scenes of protestors fighting, and as day turns to night, we eventually see the guards letting the citizens through the gate. We see clips of news castors announcing across the world that the wall has fallen. ALKAM’s voiceover begins as we see the Ossis running across to West Berlin, embracing, kissing, dancing in the street with friends and strangers alike. We see ALKAM and FRITZCHEN run with their family into the arms of their relatives.]

ALKAM: We crossed the wall that day; the guards couldn’t stop us. We tore it apart with our bare hands, precious chunks stuffed in our pockets so we could show our children pieces of our old prison once it was forgotten. We said hello to old friends we hadn’t seen in thirty years, and embraced relatives we’d never met; [laughs] we did drink champagne. [ALKAM walks through West Berlin with the crowd, and he notices the odd stares of two bewildered West Berliners] And Fritz was right; you’d notice the odd stares when someone realized you were an Ossis. Some couldn’t forget the wall in their heads. Like they were staring at a myth come to life.

It’s been a long time since that day. I’m older, now, but I haven’t forgotten that time. Sometimes, when the city is noisy, and the headlines are filled with only bad news, I think of that day in my Grandfathers backyard; I think of a peace sign in a watchtower.