Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 08-22-2010, 11:24 AM View Post #1 (Link) Write a blurb.
the_knockon_effect (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 28
Right, well this is basically what is says on the tin. Try and make up a blurb, either for something you've written or something you plan to write. Do your best to condense a plot summery into the kind of blurb you'd see on the back of any published novel.

Here's one I did for my novel "Bibliothican" :

Spoiler:
In the ancient city of Narraware, the story of the famed Bibliothican is known by all as an infamous legend; an old wives tale, a myth to frighten children.

But to one person the Bibliothican is a brutal reality.

Novelist and historian Evangelina Russo knows all too well the secrets of the Bibliothican, and the consequences of dabbling in dark legends. She has buried her past and built a life untainted by the horrors of that ancient tale. But when a mysterious individual named Temple enlists her help to rediscover the myth, her briefly stable world is hurled back into turmoil.

With the help of fellow historian Neville, she must finally face the demons of her past, in a race against time to ensure that the deadly secrets of the Bibliothican remain sealed where they belong.

Some things are best left undiscovered.

"SUCK MY PIANIST!"
Old 08-22-2010, 04:08 PM View Post #2 (Link)
ManyIdeas (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
Heres one for Brush Blade, a novel I'm working at the moment. It may not be to good, but I've given it a shot

Spoiler:
The modern world is a dangerous place to hide. With its bright lights shinning out into the heavens, and its masses of inhabitants. It isn’t the first choice to hide for a God escaping a ruthless Higher-Power. No, this tale isn’t about the God who is hiding… but the child whom he hides.

With origins stretching beyond human imagination, Asgard Bane is forced to be hidden from himself under a thick web of lies cast by his father and his family, uncertain of everything around him. A new school life in the strangest class of them all, the mysterious characters who go their, and when a trip in the backstreets of Newquay begins to blow away the cobwebs of his past, do things begin to change.

Asgard’s new goal, is to retrieve a set of files stolen from his father’s office, which could help in unveiling his true identity, with the help of Cairo De Centa, Susanoo, Benzaiten and a group of higher up school kids, before they are transferred by a mysterious Guardian in the shape of a white dragon, to the place we know as; Heaven
Old 09-04-2010, 02:19 AM View Post #3 (Link)
flaahgraman (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I thought I'd post something for a novel I'm writing at the moment, which has no title as of yet.

In the darkest hours of humanity, in a world torn by war and greed, religious fanatics take it upon themselves to usher in a new age. A woman and her new born child are sacrificed and from the pits of hell hordes of demons and arcane creatures spew forth, their sole purpose; to eradicate all life.

Eighteen years on, and the world is in the grip of a war against the demons. Azander D'Kirin is found alone in the woods, in a clearing where magic and evil saturates the air. Leaving the safety of his northern home, Azander will find friends and enemies, magic and warfare, but will he find the truth about his past?
Old 09-04-2010, 03:25 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Alice Glitterhorn (Offline)
Crit Sheriff

Times Thanked: 76
Well, this was hard.

Finding the Whale

Spoiler:

In the waiting room of a hospital, a troupe of out-of-work actors bring together forty people. They came in toting a stabbed member, yet they won't explain what happened; instead, they put on a play to illustrate the events.

In between each scene, another person tells the story of why they're there and waiting to see the doctor, or waiting for a loved one. Every history is different, ranging from a group of strippers squatting in an abandoned theater to a single mom whose son may have HIV because of her carelessness. All seemingly unrelated, except for a single emblem: the Whale.

Over the course of eight hours, the Whale may change the lives of everyone involved. The actors may reveal a secret that will put not only their own reliability on the line, but that of everything the world fears.

As the play nears its end and the histories get wilder, everyone in the waiting room realizes that they've been caught up in the beginning of a terrifying new age.

I think of you naked, rimbaud drinking, and how lovely my hair is

They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the bong-tree grows;
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood,
With a ring at the end of his nose,

Word Count: 10000/50000
Old 09-04-2010, 05:10 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
I actually do this all the time. I'm pretty sure that each of my finished novels has a summary of some kind. This particular blurb is from book one of my trilogy and is called Guides. I'm working on book three now.

Spoiler:
Spirit Guide Aziel has never cared for the lonely, tedious task of guiding newly deceased souls through the lowest realm of the Otherworld. He finds the entire process boring, and has resorted to amusing himself by toying with the already frightened spirits. Because of this, he has been warned numerous times—told that Spirit Guides are supposed to be kind and comforting to others—and finally the higher spirits have had enough, giving him one last chance to change his ways or he will lose his title as Spirit Guide. Yet it is not in Aziel’s nature to give up easily, and this, combined with his sarcastic, cocky attitude, leaves him with only one choice: conform and remain a Spirit Guide, trapped in a lackluster, solitary job, or continue to rebel and lose the only title that he is allowed?

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
— Albert Einstein

Old 09-05-2010, 12:53 PM View Post #6 (Link)
lostbookworm (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 96
Here's mine for a little story about Death I hope to post soon enough.

Spoiler:
Alfred-17, cocky, intelligent, and bored out of his mind.
Death- 194, lazy, angry and bored out of his skull.
Both want out of their lives, or in this case, death, and will do anything to change. But they don't know their lives will be changed forever when Death gets an assignment. Alfred.
Tragically entwined, this is the story of two completely different beings who will change each others lives-forever.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Yes, I already posted a blurb here. But that series is a few pages, a chapter at the most, away from being finished, and this story has been floating around in my head for a while now.

Wrote this last night at one thirty am to satisfy the urge to write this novel since I won't start working on it until I'm done with my other story. xD

Spoiler:
Immortal peace keepers, the stories say. Legendary for their control of the city Nyela, five men rule the perfect metropolis. Everyone’s occupations are chosen for them depending upon what they do best. Every season is planned to perfection. Nothing goes on in Nyela that is harmful to the city or its inhabitants. Nothing happens that hasn’t first been planned. Then one of the five rulers dies unexpectedly, setting off a chain of unforeseen events in a world that has grown lazy and useless after countless years of its perfectly planned existence.

In a city full of people accustomed to being told every detail of their lives down to the very clothes that they will wear, their survival is now shaken. Their lives are now their own. But what is there to do when your entire life has been sketched out by a higher power and then suddenly thrust into your hands?

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
— Albert Einstein

Old 09-07-2010, 05:47 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Rage (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 19
Spoiler:
I stared at my hand, and witnessed as tiny blots of blood began seeping into the air from my skin; it looked like a washed out neon covering the circumference of my hand. The strange phenomenon began to creep its way along my arm; eventually the blood drenched the shoulder part of my t-shirt, it didn't seem to proceed any further than that. I nudged the focus point of my eyes to floor in front of me, and attempted to process how this was possible.
"You can't go back now, welcome to reality my friend", croaked the strange man, who now kept his distance from me. "Can you keep a secret?" he continued...

Several weeks ago, I lived a methodical life. To me, life felt like a systematic group of choices. Yet they’re not really ‘choices’, there’s too many restraints attached for these to count as a choice. I always felt as if something was lacking from this reality, I just never imagined I was right.

Probably something like that for what I'm writing. Bit cliche, matrix kinda shit but yeah.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:44 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Faust (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 18
Here is the one for my book:

The cottage was on fire. The tounges of flames were lapping up the remains of it. I was forced to retreat back into the freezing cold night. When my hands touched the ice cold snow, relief flowed through my veins. I could only hope grandad had got out in time.....
Of course it is. It's resourceful. It is my inside demon after all."
-Skullduggery Pleasent.

I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have the recipe for grandeur

My ywo family
Ji- Wifey. I shall be yours for ever and not even Emma Waton can compare
Emma- Daughter.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:02 PM View Post #10 (Link)
SapphireSeaBird (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 15
Only the elite are summoned to the Skye Palace. Only the ones worthy of studying the Arte of Anciente Magicke. Only the ones destined for greatness and glory.

Pulled from her hometown, family and friends, when Faye is summed to the Skye Palace she has no choice but to accept it. Her world is about to be turned upside down, and she will be tested to the limit. The Guardians of the Skye Palace have great expectations for her - but is she strong enough to survive?