Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-25-2010, 03:41 AM View Post #1 (Link) Newbie with an information overload
Umenle (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
So, my friend referred me to this site and now I'm sitting here thinking... "What in the world am I looking at?" So, after a muddled conversation with my friend, he has told me to "BE MYSELF GOSH DARN IT!" So, here goes...

I love to write fantasy, although I've been wandering through real world writing and a little bit of steam punk. If you know what that is, bravo! I love giving my characters detail, even if it never comes out in the story, just so I can understand them better. So in the end, I do tend to get very attached to them like they're related to me. When you add the fact that I draw my characters and places as well, you could say that I'm thoroughly engulfed in my worlds.

I do tend to be a little bit of a grammar/spelling control freak though, much akin to a composition teacher.

I'm still not sure exactly what to do in this place, so I hope to learn a lot from other people as I read others' writings and submit my writings for criticism. I can tell I'll be bothering my friend with tons of questions and he will soon be annoyed that he ever mentioned this place to me in the first place. If you want to ask me anything, just reply and...well, we'll go from there. ^_^
Old 07-25-2010, 03:49 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Avernoth (Offline)
Novice Writer

Location: <Warning! Virus Detected!> <Triangulating Source> <Dispatching Field Agents> <Estimated TA: 15 min.>
Times Thanked: 2
Welcome Umenle! Enjoy your stay at YWO, you can find lots of stuff to do here, for example, the Chat Room, when occupied, is a party all by itself! To post and critique works, go click on the writing tab at the top header of your page. Please read the rules and enjoy your stay!
Old 07-25-2010, 10:07 AM View Post #3 (Link)
the_knockon_effect (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 28
More or less, as above Welcome to the site

"SUCK MY PIANIST!"
Old 07-25-2010, 10:13 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Jack (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 114
I like you.

Welcome to YWO. Be sure to read the rules and critique guidelines.

Good to see you're dabbling in Steampunk. If you are interested, the YWO magazine Survival By Storytelling is looking for Steampunk art and literature for its upcoming Steampunk themed issue. It focuses on publishing youngwriters like yourself, you should give it a try.

Have fun
Old 07-25-2010, 02:43 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Originally Posted by Umenle View Post
I do tend to be a little bit of a grammar/spelling control freak though, much akin to a composition teacher.
I think I'm going to like you. I'm like that, too. The day we spent our entire composition class going over grammar was my favorite day. And I've been known to correct others' grammar. Real life and online, though in real life I'm usually too shy to actually say it to anyone other than my sister or my writing friend.

Anyway, welcome to YWO!

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 07-25-2010, 03:00 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Alice Glitterhorn (Offline)
Crit Sheriff

Times Thanked: 76
Steampunk! I love steampunk.

Welcome. Be good.

I think of you naked, rimbaud drinking, and how lovely my hair is

They sailed away, for a year and a day,
To the land where the bong-tree grows;
And there in a wood a Piggy-wig stood,
With a ring at the end of his nose,

Word Count: 10000/50000
Old 07-29-2010, 04:54 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Umenle (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
@the_knockon_effect- I read the part of the book you have up and I love it. Per the rules of crit.ing, I didn't just put an empty "good job" on your wall. haha. But I do like it a lot. It actually helped me think about what I'm missing in my writing. thanks. One thing I would say is, "toss in some ages or something" When I heard the description of Opal, I picture a 10-12 year old girl...unless that's what she is. And then, there's just a few missing commas here and there, but no big issues.

@Alicegriffin- rock on the steampunk! I have every intention of being good here. But I won't be on often since my only chance to write here will be when I'm at the library. I will love learning from other people though. =D

@Draxzar- Thanks! I'm glad you like me. lol. Thanks for the reminder about reading the rules. I am interested in the Steampunk magazine bit, but my art isn't that good and my first, longer than three pages, steampunk book is...well...like six pages. hahaha...I'm not so good at finishing books as I am starting them.

@Majyk- yeah, I'm careful about who I say my grammar nazi things to in real life. I don't want to be annoying. But I always think it. Grammar Nazis unite! ^_^

@Avernoth- **poke** (anyone who reads this, this is an inside joke ^_^)