Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 PM View Post #11 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Originally Posted by Lykaios View Post
Ahhhhhhh

It will be awesome not to be banning so many advertisers. So many . . . aaaaall the time, every day. >.<

You are awesome, Andy, truely awesome.
Seriously! This will be greatly appreciated, Andy!

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
— Albert Einstein

Old 07-06-2010, 11:31 PM View Post #12 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Originally Posted by J.L.A.Montoya View Post
Yes, I am.

And oh, I wasn't aware that such a thing was such a drastic step. Or even possible.

Hey, you could always change their name/password. That'd be a laugh. If it's human.
I can't assume that there won't be people in a region who legitimately want to join the site. Even if unlikely, it's still possible. IP address ARE region-specific, so if I wanted to I could ban an entire country. Unless they use proxies.

Changing the name & password won't really do much. They register, change their signature, then leave forever.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:29 AM View Post #13 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Is that the Costumes guy? There's like three with slight username variations been banned now. And advertisers with 14 and 23 at the end their username seem to be common.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM View Post #14 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Yeah, it's most definitely a human registering and posting spam, because the spam is still coming.

Signature spam has stopped, but they're trying other things like visitor messages. I've re-enabled email verification so they'll need a new email address every time they create a new account. Also banned portions of the IP addresses that were similar for a few of them.

Last edited by Andy; 07-07-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:31 PM View Post #15 (Link)
J.L.A.Montoya (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 3
Nice. That e-mail verification should stop 'em/slow them down to a turtle's pace. I wonder if the businesses actually hired the spammers to spam?
Old 07-07-2010, 04:04 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by J.L.A.Montoya View Post
Nice. That e-mail verification should stop 'em/slow them down to a turtle's pace. I wonder if the businesses actually hired the spammers to spam?
I honestly don't see the point of this type of spam anyway.

If a member doesn't post anything, then there won't be any links to their profile, not even in the members listing, so nobody would ever see the spam.

It could be that they're trying to accumulate links pointing to their websites to increase their Google rankings. But I went and changed all the homepage links in profiles to nofollow links. So they won't affect their Google ranks anymore, so the spam is pointless for that reason as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:19 AM View Post #17 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

From now on, new members with less than ten posts will not be able to post external links in visitor messages. This is the exact same anti-spam measure we've been using for new members' posts in the forums.

Internal links are fine. If they post a link to their story on YWO, it won't get blocked.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:31 AM View Post #18 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Looking via Google, it looks like YWO is not the only website whose forums are getting hit with the same spam. And all within the past few weeks.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:19 PM View Post #19 (Link)
Thomas Freestone (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Nothing in the Constitution compels us to listen to or view any unwanted communication, whatever its merit… We therefore categorically reject the argument that a vendor has a right under the Constitution or otherwise to send unwanted material into the home of another.
ROWAN v. U.S. POST OFFICE, USC, 397 U.S. 728
Old 01-10-2011, 10:47 PM View Post #20 (Link)
Kalculator (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 5
Spam is annoying but cheap and easy way to target thousands or even millions of people.

Hmmm.....

Do you have a program that tells you where the spammer is posting from? If it's from the same city or state or region or something, maybe it might be one person? This one person might be using lots of computers?

DOWN WITH THE SPAMMERS!