Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-05-2014, 10:38 PM View Post #291 (Link)
owl (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 41
Yes, you can. Whether it's a short story or a novel, post a thread for each part -- for example, you would have a thread for Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:24 AM View Post #292 (Link) Points
Iknowdude00 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
How do i get more points? Also can i put a whole short story on one thread (i like to copy and paste straight from my notes)
Old 01-09-2014, 01:45 PM View Post #293 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Originally Posted by Iknowdude00 View Post
How do i get more points? Also can i put a whole short story on one thread (i like to copy and paste straight from my notes)
If you haven't already, please read the site rules and our critique guidelines. The critique guidelines tells you that you get points for critiquing people's work, and the longer the critique, the more points you will get (up to 10). Any critique you post that isn't sufficient will be deleted and, if you do post work, your writing thread will be closed until you can write a helpful enough critique.

Yes, you can put a whole short story in one thread. If you write a a novel, however, you must put each chapter in its own thread. If the short story is being posted in parts, over time, then you should post each part in its own thread as well (i.e "my story part 1" then "my story part 2")

As well as the site rules and critique guidelines, you should read all the stickied threads you can find. Stickied threads are the ones that are pinned to the top of each subforum--for example, this FAQ thread is stickied to the top of the Newbie Zone. The Stickied threads are all there to help new members.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM View Post #294 (Link) Problems Posting (not pnt related)
Dead Poet Denizen (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 6
Greetings,

I am trying to post under Novels (Members only) and I am recieving the following message: "In an effort to stamp out forum SPAM only members with 10 posts or more can post website links or email addresses."

I have the required points, and the copied text contains neither prohibited item.

I figured the length of 54 formatted pages might have been causing the submission to error, I attempted posting merely the introduction and met the same result. Could I be told what I am doing incorrectly? I would very much like to get this novel up and critiqued. Thanks!!
Cheers,
- Dead Poet Denizen
Old 01-23-2014, 05:24 PM View Post #295 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Originally Posted by Dead Poet Denizen View Post
Greetings,

I am trying to post under Novels (Members only) and I am recieving the following message: "In an effort to stamp out forum SPAM only members with 10 posts or more can post website links or email addresses."

I have the required points, and the copied text contains neither prohibited item.

I figured the length of 54 formatted pages might have been causing the submission to error, I attempted posting merely the introduction and met the same result. Could I be told what I am doing incorrectly? I would very much like to get this novel up and critiqued. Thanks!!
Cheers,
- Dead Poet Denizen
That's super weird, and I'm not sure why the forum is having that reaction. Maybe it's something with the formatting or how the forum is seeing the formatting? I've never had that issue. You can PM me the section you want to post and I'll take a look through it though, and see if any obvious issues pop out.

One thing though: Generally, in the novels forum, we ask that you post a chapter at a time, and that each chapter gets a new thread. This is both the keep the forum fair (so that you don't do one critique and then put up your entire novel), but also to make it easier for people to read and critique your stuff. So once you get the post to go through, PLEASE PLEASE only put a chapter or section up at a time, and make a new thread or new post within a thread for each one. You can look through stuff other people have posted to get an idea of what length is acceptable if your novel isn't broken up into chapters. I think a few thousand words at a time is ok.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:28 PM View Post #296 (Link)
Emer (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
Is there a reason the forums are closed? I just joined and would like to post some of my work but i am unable.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:58 PM View Post #297 (Link)
MonaLon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 34
Hey Emer! You need to critique other people's work before you can post your own. That way, everyone gets feedback. Before you start critiquing, read the guidelines. And make sure you follow them! Otherwise, your critiques will be deleted by the mods, so just pay attention to what you're writing and you should be fine.

Big project: The Queen of Gosnter

Smaller project: Callback

"Stuff happened." --Something someone said at some point
Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 PM View Post #298 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Originally Posted by Emer View Post
Is there a reason the forums are closed? I just joined and would like to post some of my work but i am unable.
What MonaLon said (thanks by the way!). In addition to reading the guidelines, I think you should read this guide to how the forum works. Pay careful attention to the stuff about critiques, both what we're looking for and how to give a really good one. It looks like the critique you posted so far might be a little short, so I'd start practicing more in depth ones as soon as you can.

Basically, if you put work into the site you'll get helpful stuff back out - our rules are in place just to nudge that along.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:18 PM View Post #299 (Link) question related to 4th annual Young Writers Award
tmedha (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

This thread exists to answer a lot of the questions new users have here. If you want to ask something else, you can post your question in this thread and one of our existing members will answer it for you.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS SITE?

Young Writers Online was created so that young writers would be able to receive constructive advice on their work, so that they may become better writers and artists. We strive to do this by creating an environment where people can post any sincere literature, questions, suggestions, or critiques, and receive answers in a friendly, constructive manner. We encourage all writing and discussions, as long as they are posted without malicious intent and do not invite unnecessary drama or stress into the boards. We will take whatever reasonable action is necessary to ensure that this purpose is maintained.

WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE?

Shaun Duke (Shaun) and Andrew Kay (Andy) pay for and maintain the site, while playing an administration role. If you have questions or comments, you can e-mail them at: (Andy) calamire@gmail.com or (Shaun) arconna@yahoo.com

IS MY WORK PROTECTED?

All work posted here remains the property of the author. We will not reproduce any part of any work posted without the author's consent. If you are worried about work being stolen, just remember that all posts here have a date, which proves you are the original author. If you are worried about ruining your First Printing Rights by posting your work tot he public, we have several members-only forums which will maintain those rights.

HOW DO I SUBMIT MY WORK AND READ OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK?

All writing can be found in the Literature Section. To submit work, find the appropriate subsection and click "New Thread." To comment on other people's writing, click the "Post Reply" button on the same page as at writing.

We use a Points System to make everyone does their fair share of comments. If you hardly comment on other people's writing, it will not let you post your work. At the same time, it helps ensure that the comments other members give to your writing are as detailed and helpful as possible.

WHAT ARE THE LIGHT BULBS I SEE EVERYWHERE?

In each post, next to each member's name, you'll see a light bulb. If it's turned on, that member is currently online. If it's off, that member is offline.

HOW DO I THANK PEOPLE?

When you feel someone had posted something really good or nice, you can thank them. To do this, click the green check mark () at the bottom-left corner of their post.

To see how many people have thanked you, look directly under your avatar. To see posts other people thanked you for, go to your User Control Panel, and you'll see them listed.

WHAT ARE THE RANKINGS?

Rankings are little titles under your username which indicate how many posts you've made. Here is a list of the rankings used at YWO, and the number of posts needed to see them:

0-9: Literary Newbie
10-24: Novice Writer
25-49: Abstract Thinker
50-99: Idea Scribe
100-249: Scholarly Apprentice
250-499: Literary Artist
500-749: Aspiring Author
750-999: Creative Fanatic
1000-1999: Freelance Writer
2000-2999: Wordsmith
3000-3999: Language Creator
4000-4999: Maker of Worlds
5000 and up: Master of English

WHAT ARE THE FORUM RULES?

You can find the rules in the Info Center >> Site Info >> Rules
i am very new to this site and i am finding it amazing. can i take part in 4th annual Young Writers Award and will my new status to this site affect the results.

Last edited by Infinity_Man; 02-14-2014 at 07:39 PM.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:28 PM View Post #300 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
it depends if you're Joyce or not.

But I think you have to be active, you can't just roll on in here, enter, win, and then leave.