Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 PM View Post #111 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Originally Posted by hollisterfreak99 View Post
Hi.
Im new here.
I dont get this at alll.
How do you post storys ?
You can't post stories until you critique and get some points. You should check out the FAQ and Rules along with the Critique Guidelines; those links will probably clear some things up for you. One more thing: this is a writing site, so please use correct grammar and punctuation. Thank you.

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 03-02-2011, 03:16 AM View Post #112 (Link) Hehe...
Bwandls (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 12
So, I was just wondering...
Is there like, a level of appropriateness that cannot be surpassed? I.E., can I post some suggestive pieces? Or violent-ish pieces?

- Bwandls :3
Old 03-02-2011, 02:19 PM View Post #113 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
It should technically be all right. It might be a good idea to put a warning in the post, because there are younger members here. See numbers three and four:

Originally Posted by Rules For Posting Literature
  1. Don't submit more than one thing per day. Submitting something that's 100 pages long will probably be ignored by members - it's too much! And submitting 5 poems in a single day won't give members a chance to read them all. Moderation is key.
  2. Give at least two critiques for each piece you submit. The more critiques you write, the more people will critique your own work.
  3. Use content warnings. If you think your story is not suitable for certain audiences, put a content warning at the top of your post saying so. Also, try to leave offensive material out of the thread's title.
  4. No explicit sex or obscene violence Do not post anything that is explicitly sexual or obscenely violent without prior approval of a moderator or administrator. Explicit sex is a detailed description of sexual activity of any kind. Obscene violence is violence for the sake of violence, which does not enhance a story or move the plot forward. If in doubt, please contact a staff member to make sure your submission is okay.
  5. Please follow our guidelines for giving critiques

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 04-13-2011, 01:22 AM View Post #114 (Link)
kayjay (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Hi! This is probably a silly question but...: how do I delete threads? Thanks in advance!

Oh! And how do you delete an account???

Last edited by kayjay; 04-13-2011 at 01:34 AM.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:26 PM View Post #115 (Link)
jenna321 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

hello my names jen ive just joined hoping to make new friends and to share the one thing im passionte about which is writing
Old 04-15-2011, 06:29 PM View Post #116 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
Kayjay: Accounts and threads can't be deleted except by Admin or Mod action. We generally do not delete accounts, though. Threads are easier, since we can soft delete those. PM a mod if you want one of those things done.

jenna321: This isn't really the place for saying hello. Start your own newbie thread to say "hi" to everyone.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 PM View Post #117 (Link)
Jose (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 25
Can you as a "Newbie" post a critique on others including higher leveled writers? And what is the number of points requested from you in order to be able to post a story or a novel or a peom? Thank you.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 PM View Post #118 (Link)
Jack (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 114
You can critique any one or any thing that you like, including older members that have been here a while. We don't like to think about the writers here as being in 'levels' as such; if you feel like you can offer constructive criticism to anyone here you can do regardless of how long you've been here.

Currently, you need 10 critique points in order to post a story of novel part, and 6 in order to post poetry or lyrics.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM View Post #119 (Link)
OrionRising (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 21
You can critique anyone you want. However, higher level writers will usually expect better critiques, not because they are better but because they know what is an acceptable and helpful critique and what is not.

Just remember, your critique should be full of information that the writer will be able to use to improve their writing, not just grammar mistakes (although it is fine to point these out). If I were you I would look around a bit see if you can find a critique written by a Crit Sherrif, they are really good.

--

Poems cost 6 points.

A novel (which you do no post all at once) costs 10 points per post (which should be only 1 or 2 chapters.)

However, it is usually expected that you do a couple good critiques before posting. You will see that many, if not most, members have 30 points. A good ratio, in my opinion is one of your works for ever two or three good critiques that you do.

Hope this helps.

Witting Poetry

Just because there isn't much there doesn't mean it isn't worth a quick read!
Old 05-11-2011, 01:02 AM View Post #120 (Link)
MarkusErzahler (Offline)
Novice Writer

I joined a few days ago, and I've been exploring the site and trying to figure everything out on my own if I could. I do have one question though. I am currently working on a fantasy novel and I posted the prologue on the member only novel forum. I plan on posting my future chapters as well (I am a little over halfway done with chapter I). Should I keep posting on the same post as the prologue or create new threads with new titles?

Thanks,
Mark