Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 09-27-2007, 10:39 PM View Post #1 (Link) FAQ for new Members, Ask Questions Here
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99

This thread exists to answer a lot of the questions new users have here. If you want to ask something else, you can post your question in this thread and one of our existing members will answer it for you.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS SITE?

Young Writers Online was created so that young writers would be able to receive constructive advice on their work, so that they may become better writers and artists. We strive to do this by creating an environment where people can post any sincere literature, questions, suggestions, or critiques, and receive answers in a friendly, constructive manner. We encourage all writing and discussions, as long as they are posted without malicious intent and do not invite unnecessary drama or stress into the boards. We will take whatever reasonable action is necessary to ensure that this purpose is maintained.

WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE?

Shaun Duke (Shaun) and Andrew Kay (Andy) pay for and maintain the site, while playing an administration role. If you have questions or comments, you can e-mail them at: (Andy) calamire@gmail.com or (Shaun) arconna@yahoo.com

IS MY WORK PROTECTED?

All work posted here remains the property of the author. We will not reproduce any part of any work posted without the author's consent. If you are worried about work being stolen, just remember that all posts here have a date, which proves you are the original author. If you are worried about ruining your First Printing Rights by posting your work tot he public, we have several members-only forums which will maintain those rights.

HOW DO I SUBMIT MY WORK AND READ OTHER PEOPLE'S WORK?

All writing can be found in the Literature Section. To submit work, find the appropriate subsection and click "New Thread." To comment on other people's writing, click the "Post Reply" button on the same page as at writing.

We use a Points System to make everyone does their fair share of comments. If you hardly comment on other people's writing, it will not let you post your work. At the same time, it helps ensure that the comments other members give to your writing are as detailed and helpful as possible.

WHAT ARE THE LIGHT BULBS I SEE EVERYWHERE?

In each post, next to each member's name, you'll see a light bulb. If it's turned on, that member is currently online. If it's off, that member is offline.

HOW DO I THANK PEOPLE?

When you feel someone had posted something really good or nice, you can thank them. To do this, click the green check mark () at the bottom-left corner of their post.

To see how many people have thanked you, look directly under your avatar. To see posts other people thanked you for, go to your User Control Panel, and you'll see them listed.

WHAT ARE THE RANKINGS?

Rankings are little titles under your username which indicate how many posts you've made. Here is a list of the rankings used at YWO, and the number of posts needed to see them:

0-9: Literary Newbie
10-24: Novice Writer
25-49: Abstract Thinker
50-99: Idea Scribe
100-249: Scholarly Apprentice
250-499: Literary Artist
500-749: Aspiring Author
750-999: Creative Fanatic
1000-1999: Freelance Writer
2000-2999: Wordsmith
3000-3999: Language Creator
4000-4999: Maker of Worlds
5000 and up: Master of English

WHAT ARE THE FORUM RULES?

You can find the rules in the Info Center >> Site Info >> Rules

Last edited by Andy; 08-07-2008 at 08:18 PM.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:34 AM View Post #2 (Link) question
Surt (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
hey i just joined and i was wondering about posting literature.

Does the quality matter? As i myself have no real idea if what i am posting is good or not and i know one of the reasons to post is to try and find that out but i feel that if i post then i will just be spamming the forum with something that perhaps shouldn't even be there in the first place.

Im not sure if i've communicated what im actually asking here but if u understand then please help
Old 01-03-2008, 01:38 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Rafael Domination (Offline)
Maker of Worlds

Times Thanked: 76
Well, if it's related to the topic, then you have nothing to worry about. Besides, some of the old members are chronic spammers *Nyx-cough-Shadow-cough*, so unless you're posting nothing but stuff that doesn't relate, insulting, or just plain nonsense, then you should start being afraid.

But, as for the 'quality' of your work...don't worry too much about that either. We exist to 'better' the 'quality' of any novels, poems, stuff you post, so while it would be nice for you to revise your posts before you put them on, don't worry about making them perfect either.

Yeah, welcome to the site

PLEASE? PRETTY PLEASE?

Old 01-03-2008, 01:42 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 142
Welcome Surt, why don't you go ahead and introduce yourself in the forum?

Anyhow,the quality does matter as Riff-Raff *cough-also a big spammer-cough* pointed out to the extent of revising abit and taking your time before posting, but it doesn't mean you can't post stuff if you're a beginner because we are all here to learn.
What I don't like about this site is that there isn't enough social drama.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:43 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 81
like Raf said, welcome, and if you're playfully competative start a "hi" thread and we'll see if we can get it to more pages than mine's at =]]]]

Old 01-03-2008, 01:46 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Originally Posted by Surt View Post
hey i just joined and i was wondering about posting literature.

Does the quality matter? As i myself have no real idea if what i am posting is good or not and i know one of the reasons to post is to try and find that out but i feel that if i post then i will just be spamming the forum with something that perhaps shouldn't even be there in the first place.

Im not sure if i've communicated what im actually asking here but if u understand then please help
Just post your best work. Granted, each person's best work is going to be different, but the main idea is that you post your best so your best can become better. There's little point in posting something which you know is full of errors. People would just point out errors which you already know about, and there's little to gain from that.

But if your work is fantastic to the best of your knowledge, then post it. If other people can find ways to improve it, then you get smarter as a writer.

And don't forget to comment on other people's work as well.

Old 01-03-2008, 02:34 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Surt (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Ok thanks all. I posted something and I shall now get to commenting on other peoples work. And i'll introduce myself in the forum although I have no idea what to say.

Thanks again
Old 01-08-2008, 10:20 AM View Post #8 (Link) how do i find things to read?
angela (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 1
hello, people.
im just wondering how to find documents to read.. im a little bored at this time.. if there's anyone there, just reply!

thanks.
-anjee
Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 AM View Post #9 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
If you have any questions, don't post loads of threads, PM a member. If you want to read or post any literature, click the literature link below the site's logo.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:55 AM View Post #10 (Link)
angela (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 1
ahk. how do i PM?
sorry..
=]