Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-04-2010, 05:21 PM View Post #21 (Link) Portfolios
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
As you can probably guess, the update will have its own version of the current portfolio page, so members can see all their writing in one place. I finished it this morning, and it should look somewhat familiar:

http://i45.tinypic.com/30bl46g.jpg

It now displays much more information about your writing, such as word counts, genres, and its queue. I've also added the ability to sort by these things. It's not too useful if you only have, say, three things submitted. But as you add more, it should become more convenient.

EDIT: I'm still working on critiques, but once they're done, the portfolio will display whether or not you've critiqued a submission.

Last edited by Andy; 06-04-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:20 PM View Post #22 (Link) Recent Writing
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Same as we have now, the Recent Writing page will have a list of the writing most recently submitted by members.

http://i49.tinypic.com/hs127n.jpg

Couple of new things here. First are the images to the left of the title. They indicate:
Paper - Writing that you have not critiqued
Paper w/green check - Writing that you have critiqued
Paper w/gray circle - Your own writing

There are also two smaller icons to the right of the title. These are:
Gold star - A members-only submission. Guests cannot view these.
Red sign - At some point, you might think your writing has gotten enough critiques, and that getting more won't be very useful. Or that you don't plan to work on it ever again. You can edit your submission to prevent people from critiquing it. If you do, a red sign will appear next to it.
I plan to add these to other pages as well. Portfolio, the queues themselves, etc.

Last edited by Andy; 06-05-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:17 PM View Post #23 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

I earlier showed you what viewing a submission would look like, but it wasn't yet finished. Now it pretty much is.

The page will have three tabs. One to view the submission, one to view critiques, and one for comments. I shrunk the images so I could get them all onscreen at once.

http://i50.tinypic.com/173gon.jpg

At the top is a box with information about the submission. The two icons from earlier are there, and if the author added the submission to a collection, you can click the book to view that collection:

There's also space for a small advertisement. Nothing new. The literature theads we have now also have an ad. The ad here will probably be more YWO-oriented, like a link to our store or Amazon shop instead of the random ones you see on all the threads.

http://i50.tinypic.com/acrhfq.jpg

Clicking the Critiques tab will list the critiques a submission has received. To reinforce the idea that they're supposed to be long, each one has a link to view the entire critique.

http://i48.tinypic.com/102urn9.jpg

Last, the Comments tab. Here you'll have a box that lets you quickly post a comment. Remember, they're meant to be short, like crit tickets, and they don't earn points. Below that are all the comments the submission has already received. When you submit a comment, it automatically appears below.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:04 PM View Post #24 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Added notifications for when your writing receives new comments or critiques.

This was a feature I was really hoping would be possible, and I'm glad it wasn't too much trouble.

EDIT: Okay, I did something that should have been done a long time ago. Remove unnecessary notifications. The next time you get a message, or anything, you'll only see the relevant ones.

Last edited by Andy; 06-13-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:57 AM View Post #25 (Link) Full-Window Mode
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

As far as the update goes, I'm working on critique stuff now. Submitting critiques. That's the one big thing left to do. And after that, I just need to go through everything else and make sure it's shipshape.

Quick update today. Maybe you noticed a strange button in the earlier updates:
http://i48.tinypic.com/2z8xkes.jpg

Clicking it activates full-window mode. You can use the entire browser window to edit your critique. Click it again to change it back.
http://i49.tinypic.com/5334ub.jpg

The zaniness is due to me having an exam tomorrow. And now I must recollect my seriousness.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 PM View Post #26 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
I'm bumping this because I don't think the other thread should be the first thing people see...

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:27 PM View Post #27 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

A lot of the pages are nearly complete, so I'm going back and polishing them up. Making sure they look nice and that their programming is efficient.

Here's just one. The Poetry queue. Changed the look of the New Submission button, added multiple-page navigation, alternating column colors, and you can hover over those icons to see what they mean.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2upw9hz.jpg

If it works and looks professional, then it means I'm done with it.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 PM View Post #28 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Which person has earned the most points so far this month? How many critiques have they given during their entire time at YWO? There's finally a page that lets you know.

http://i46.tinypic.com/vhgci1.jpg

As you can see, Shaun is a massive cheater, who somehow earned 90 points without doing a single critique. But maybe that's just so he can help me test things.

And if you're among the top twenty, then your name will be highlighted. You can click the number of critiques to view that member's most recent critiques.

I would personally like to award people prizes based on how high up they are on this list. But that's for another post for another day.

Last edited by Andy; 06-21-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 AM View Post #29 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

I've changed some of the genres based on people's suggestions. I considered changing the poetry ones, but they seem to be the most common genres associated with poetry on the internet, and I can't think of anything they omit. I made their descriptions more specific too.

Poetry
Dramatic (the speaker tells a story involving him/herself)
Lyric (expresses the thoughts and feelings of the poet)
Narrative (tells a brief story)
Epic (a very long story, usually in several parts)
Prosetry (poetry written in prose)
Satirical (insults told through poetry)
Other

Other/Experimental
Rule-Based (writing according to a rule, like only using 3-letter words)
Algorithm (typical writing that is mathematically altered, like by removing every third word)
Experimental (tries to redefine what literature is)
Other

Art/Photography
Drawing
Painting
Computer-Generated
Photography
Video/Audio
Other

Old 06-23-2010, 06:16 PM View Post #30 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

With the update, you'll be able to give two kinds of critiques. Click the (Critique) button, and you'll be given a choice.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2wg9o93.jpg

The simple critique is easy to understand. Type your critique into blank text boxes, and you'll get points based on the number of words.

The inline critique works differently. The author's submission will already be in the text box. All you need to do is select a font color and type your critique within the author's text. Points will be based on the number of words you typed (that are colored).

Critiques won't need any [QUOTE] tags anymore.