Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-10-2010, 10:58 PM View Post #1 (Link) The 2010 Literature Update
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
I mentioned in a few other posts that I've (re)started work on creating a much better system for submitting and critiquing literature. My last attempt fell apart for various reasons. This time, I'm building it from the ground-up, and I'd like it to fix all the suggestions which members have raised in the past.

I'll be using this thread to show updates to demonstrate what's to come. All of these features are works-in-progress.

Don't expect updates to come quickly. This will be the most ambitious project I've ever started for the site. I'd rather do it slowly and get it done right.

Last edited by Andy; 04-10-2010 at 11:10 PM.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:06 PM View Post #2 (Link) Collections
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

The first feature I want to introduce is Collections. These will be like folders that you can use to group related submissions together, for easy access. A feature like this has been suggested by members in the past.

Creating a Collection is easy. Just like creating a thread, you can give a Collection a name and description:

http://i40.tinypic.com/zsu5mq.jpg

You will be able to have multiple Collections. Each member will have a page that lists all the ones they've created:

http://i44.tinypic.com/zmf89j.jpg

Clicking a member's Collection will list all the submissions they've added to it.

http://i43.tinypic.com/i5p4yx.jpg

More to come!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:00 PM View Post #3 (Link) The New Literature Forum
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

This update came much faster than I expected.

The new Literature forum will be much simpler than the current one. 15 sections have been simplified to seven:

Short Stories
Novels and Novellas
Poetry and Lyrics
Reports and Essays
Scripts
Other/Experimental Writing
Art and Photography

http://i42.tinypic.com/flkrjm.jpg

Members-only sections are no longer necessary. When submitting something, you will choose whether or not you want it visible to the public (for every single section). This means, for example, that all short stories will now be displayed in the same list - the only difference being that members-only stories will be hidden from guests.

Fantastic and Realistic submissions will also be displayed in the same list. When submitting something, you will be able to select its genre. This genre will be visible in the literature lists, similar how it was shown in the previous update.

If there comes a time when there's so much literature that seven sections is not enough, it will be very easy to split those sections by genre.

Last edited by Andy; 04-11-2010 at 08:04 PM.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:49 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Time for a little update.

When submitting literature, you'll be able to use a new feature called "Paste From Word". This feature allows you to copy and paste text from Microsoft Word into your submission box.

http://i40.tinypic.com/34zwodi.jpg

Unlike our current Literature forums, it will preserve the text formatting:

http://i41.tinypic.com/5eybn8.jpg

For now, it only preserves bold, italic, and underlined text, making it handy if your submission is full of characters who like to think in italics. Unfortunately, it does not preserve color (at least, not on my version of Word), but I will try to add that functionality.

Last edited by Andy; 05-13-2010 at 05:41 AM.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:45 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Quietus (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 7
I'd like to say that these updates seem like they'll be very helpful, and make things much less complicated, especially chapter postings.

One question though, with the new "Paste From Word" feature, is that any word processor or just Word?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:09 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

For now, only Word, though I will certainly be looking for others.

This editor can also accept some simple HTML. So if you export your document as a web page, you may be able to transfer its formatting that way.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:16 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Just a bump to let you know this is still my #1 priority on the site.

Exam week is coming up, so this thread's not going to have any updates for a little while.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Quick update on Collections.

I added a preview button so you can see what it looks like before you create it. Also added the ability to sort whatever submissions you add to it.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2vskbyp.jpg

Old 05-22-2010, 11:24 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
I really like the idea of collections. Quick question on them: Will we be able to move chapters that we have already posted (or post before the update is complete) into a folder? Or will it be only for the threads that we submit afterwards?

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein

Old 05-23-2010, 05:45 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Majyk View Post
I really like the idea of collections. Quick question on them: Will we be able to move chapters that we have already posted (or post before the update is complete) into a folder? Or will it be only for the threads that we submit afterwards?
Not sure yet. The update will completely detatch itself from our current post/thread system so that it won't be affected by future vbulletin updates.

On the other hand, I might make a converter, so you could type in a thread number and create a submission that's an exact copy, which itself could be added to a collection.