Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 03-31-2010, 10:36 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Klon. (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
I'd like to, if I'd be of any use.

I might be better at reviewing movies. Is it okay if they're not based on books?
Old 04-08-2010, 04:29 AM View Post #13 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
They should really be based on books or about books/writers. Mythology-based work would also be okay, or something rooted very clearly in history. Other than that, it's basically not for the blog :S.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:41 PM View Post #14 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
Palahniuk Panic

Spoiler:
So, many of you readers out there may know about Chuck Palahniukís bestselling novel Fight Club, or may have even seen the movie. And, on the flipside, many of you that listen to tons of music may know of Panic at the Disco, and their first album, A Fever You Canít Sweat Out. But, how many of you knew that their first album had a few song references in both titles and lyrics to Chuck Palahniuk and a few of his books?

The song Camisado from Panicís album has many references to the book Fight Club. Iíd provide examples, but I donít want to give away any part of the book if you havenít read it. Iíll post a link at the end where you can find all the answers.

Time to Dance
is an entire reference to the book Invisible Monsters, which I personally havenít read yet but plan on it soon. Therefore, Iím not going to post any references to that, ha ha, because I donít want the book spoiled for myself.

The thing I find interesting is that I have listened to Panic for a couple of years now, but I never once caught the references. It literally blew my mind because I understood why I loved Panic and Palahniuk so muchótheyíre interrelated!

Iím apparently really slow on this because most people know about the references. I just fail, is all. Obviously, I just like songs because they sound awesome. Now theyíre even more awesome because of this and I hope those of you who havenít read any of Chuck Palahniuk will go read some. I suggest starting with Fight Club, just because itís the easiest to get into and itís his most popular. If you havenít listened to Panic then I highly suggest listening to them, starting with their first album. If you donít like it, then their second album is really different and you may like it more. It just depends on your tastes.

Since it's not going in a blog yet, it's really just a sample. I typed it up fast and don't really have a link yet, so yeah. If it's legit lemme know.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:24 PM View Post #15 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

I'm actually intrigued about the references. I'm mildly familiar with Panic at the Disco, and more than enough familiar with Palahniuk.

Write up the whole thing, with spoilers and explanation of the references and we'll put it up on the blog. Seriously. It's curious stuff.

Tumblr!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:56 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I'm actually intrigued about the references. I'm mildly familiar with Panic at the Disco, and more than enough familiar with Palahniuk.

Write up the whole thing, with spoilers and explanation of the references and we'll put it up on the blog. Seriously. It's curious stuff.
Okay, I'll work on it some tonight.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:27 AM View Post #17 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

We still want bloggers. If you're interesting in participating, feel free to let us know. We want a large crew.

For now, those of you who I have expressed interest in should assume you're on the list.

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 PM View Post #18 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
I can try to write something for this. I've never written a blog post before, so I'll see how it goes.

ďA person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.Ē
ó Albert Einstein

Old 04-27-2010, 11:40 PM View Post #19 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

They're not terribly difficult. Relatively short discussions about a topic. See my blog in my sig. Obviously some posts will be shorter than others (posting videos, links, pictures, things like that).

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 AM View Post #20 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Okay, so here's my entry. Hope it's all right. I can change anything about it that you want.

Spoiler:
Planning

Recently, I had to write an essay for my comp. 100 class. Everyone was given the same topic: write an essay about how to write an essay. Simple, eh? Enough, since weíd just spent half the semester going over the basics of how to write an essay and we now had to write about that and do it at the same time. Unfortunately, that meant I had to do some serious planning. If I was going to sit down and write a paper informing whoever was going to read it that planning was an essential part to writing a good essay, I had to do it myself, too.

Iíve met writersóďmetĒ as in known people on writing sites such as YWOówho plan out each chapter in great detail before even beginning to write. On the other hand, all the planning I do before I start a novel or short story is to make sure that I know the basic plot. But is lots of planning necessary? I suppose it depends on the person. For me, itís worse when I do plan.

Occasionally itíll happen that I donít write for a while, and in those cases Iíll figure out a lot of what is going to happen in the next few chapters or so, but I find that the more time I have to think about what Iím writing before I actually sit down and do it, the harder the scene is to write. Fresh ideas are easiest to deal with, and thereís a certain thrill about writing into the unknown which doesnít occur when I know what the next four chapters will be like. On the down side of lacking planning, it does make it very easy to get stuck, or be at a loss for what happens next. All too often (which isnít that often, now that I think about it) I find myself writing a scene and getting really into it when I realize that I canít continue because I donít know what the next part is. Iíve gotten used to that, so it doesnít bother me too much. But right now is a perfect example of why I donít plan. With so many ideas in my head at one time, itís hard to focus on the scene Iím currently working on. When I was little, I would have just skipped the difficult section to get to the ďgood part,Ē but that doesnít really work anymore, even though I did try it once. My advice: donít skip parts. Theyíre a pain in the butt to edit in later.

Planning is one of those things that everyone talks about, yet itís really up to the writer. Whatever works for you. But if youíre writing an essay, do planóit does make it much easier.

ďA person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.Ē
ó Albert Einstein