Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 12-20-2007, 06:26 AM View Post #11 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
I'd prefer if everyone post their 'application', if we're calling it that, here in this thread. That way I can read them too and Andy doesn't have to forward them to me. I see everyone is doing that already .

Also, you guys don't have to be too formal. We just want to know why you want to contribute, why you think you're a good candidate, etc. Andy and I both feel we would be somewhat arrogant to go off and choose without taking this step simply because we haven't been around for very long here and there might be a tendency to play favorites in random choosing.

Also, I was hoping to do tips/resources related to genre fiction, so if perhaps someone wanted to share those categories with me, and perhaps place more focus on regular fiction where applicable, I'd really like that. We could even work together on certain things too to come up with great posts. I think any normal tips stuff I write will end up in the guides section on the site--such as the Beginnings thing, which I need to finish up by the way. So I'd love to focus on genre if possible.

Nyx, send me a PM. I know a great way for you to find new and interesting websites for the future, regardless of whether or not you contribute to the blog.

Anywho

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:59 AM View Post #12 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Ok sure I'll do that
What I don't like about this site is that there isn't enough social drama.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:14 PM View Post #13 (Link)
Eve (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 20
Aw.... speeches. I always do badly at them. Hold on, I'll go get my suit.

Good morning, ladies and gentlymenty. I'm really interested in the category websites. I work with HTML very often and have my own site which is rather successful. I also do passable images. The other category would be humour (if no one has taken that yet) because I need to improve on that especially in my story where the humour is currently very dry. Just a little extract:

Sutrade was about to ask Delphilus when Steleth launched into the lesson with his I-am-very-very-very-very-very-very-very-very-very-very-very-very-very-very-boring voice. He explained slowly and monotonously, “An axe, as I have told you many times, has a knob, grip,” Could he try gripping the opponent's weapon, “throat” Could he try strangling? “Belly” The Spartans use their shields to hit their enemy's bellies. What could they use to defend themselves? “Heel” Kick the opponent? “Beard” Pull their beards? “Blade, toe” Cut their toes? “Cheek” Slap them? “Eye” Poke them in the eye? “Butt” ... ... “And shoulder. Pay attention, Sergeant! Sergeant Aalyon, name me one function of the axe.”
“To be democratic and practice meritocracy amongst ourselves and to kill the Salavar feathers betrayers.” The Deathleenians erupted into peals of laughter. All except Steleth, Sutrade and Charndea. Charndea looked hurt beyond words and Steleth was mortified. “WHAT DID-” Steleth choked. Delphilus leaned towards Sutrade, whispering,
“tell you about joking in class? I've said this once, I've said this twice and I'm not going to say it again. When will it get through your thick numb skull?”
Steleth coughed and roared, “TELL YOU ABOUT JOKING IN CLASS? I'VE SAID THIS ONCE, I'VE SAID THIS TWICE AND I'M NOT GOING TO SAY IT AGAIN. WHEN WILL YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR INPENTRATBLE SKULL?”
Delphilus muttered, “Oops, either my memory's going downhill or Steleth just changed his speech. I'm surprised; he's recited the first one for years.”
“BRIGADIER! I HEARD YOU!”
Delphilus dug a finger in his ear and made the perfect imitation of Thymine, “So can I!”
Steleth's chest swelled and looked as though he would pop with the pressure of fury. In front of them, Aalyon suggested, “Prick him with a pin. He's going to blow!” Doracle chuckled softly.

My third category would be Literary Terms because I did the ee-ne-moi-nee-mor method and got Literary Terms! Actually, I chose Literary Terms because I'm very interested in the English Language and is trying to expand my vocabulary.

http://www.weblogcartoons.com/cartoons/end.gif

Each word comes deep within you. I am the words, I am the music.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p.../ieoiioi-1.jpgDetrimas ~ JOIN US AT x-VERSUS-x

I OWE SHADOW A CRITIQUE.

Last edited by Eve; 12-21-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:09 AM View Post #14 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Just a note: Andy and I are discussing this at the moment. We're in disagreement on one person (not bad disagreement, but we both named different people for one of the two), so we're going to talk about it a little more before we make a final decision on who gets picked. This might mean we'll ask you all to do something to help us decide.

Tumblr!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:58 AM View Post #15 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Cool, you guys take your time
Old 12-24-2007, 03:42 AM View Post #16 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

We will. We have until the 1st to figure it all out really.

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:55 AM View Post #17 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
We will. We have until the 1st to figure it all out really.
Well good luck, it must be hard to choose...
Old 12-25-2007, 10:13 PM View Post #18 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
Oo! I missed this.

I want to contribute because I don't think I'm doing enough for YWO. I think I'm a good candidate because I'm extremely nice. For instance, if you tell me my writing sucks, I'm probably going to agree with you.

I'm a terrible candidate because I lack a sense of humor, don't want to share my block-writer's-block-tips with any of you, cannot guarantee anything on account of my age and inexperience, and despise smilies.

In other words, I'm not a leader. Install the lights, and trust will go both ways. It all depends on whether I'm alive tomorrow.

This here is a horrible application. Now, I would like to offer you Carraka's Supreme Seven Tips For Writing Proper Applications On Websites Like YWO (SSTFWPAOWLYWO), but you'll have to hire me first.

My mother is a fish.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:14 PM View Post #19 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Just a note: Andy and I are discussing this at the moment. We're in disagreement on one person (not bad disagreement, but we both named different people for one of the two), so we're going to talk about it a little more before we make a final decision on who gets picked. This might mean we'll ask you all to do something to help us decide.
What kind of thing would we have to do to help you decide?
Old 12-25-2007, 10:24 PM View Post #20 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

I think Andy and I are going to ask everyone to write a short example article so we can see what to expect and whether you're really serious. One person is already technically chosen, but we're not saying who, so that person will still have to do the short example... Andy and I have to talk about it a little more before we decide.

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.