Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 01-14-2010, 02:49 PM View Post #1 (Link) 2010 Suggestion/Feedback Thread (Trying This Again)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
Okay, so the last time we tried this, it didn't go over well, but I have faith that we can get some good discussions going in here about YWO, and, thus, will try again.

We want to know what you want out of YWO. We want serious suggestions made in good faith (that means don't troll; I have no patience for it).

Additionally, let us know what you think has really worked on YWO. It's good to know what we're doing right along with what we doing wrong or could improve upon (the good can lead us to more good).

Rules:
--Please keep things civil. This thread is not for arguing, but for suggesting. That goes for everyone (members, mods, or admins).
--Don't make suggestions for things we can't possibly do (you know, like get Barack Obama to endorse us), unless you're being funny, in which case, a joke or two is perfectly acceptable. We all need a good laugh.

So have at it, folks.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:38 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 34
Let's get Barack Obama to support us.

Now for far less serious feedback:
People who submit any story 5,000 words or more typically don't get as much feedback as someone who submits a story under that amount of words. For example, I submitted one of my short stories that was 8,000 words and while many of the critters did a good job, they stopped after the first or the second section out of four. While the work they did was useful and I'm grateful they read that much, I would've preferred it if they had read the whole thing and were able to provide comments relating to the whole piece instead of the first 3,000 words. It right now is discouraging me from posting a 7,000 word story that I finished two weeks ago. I'm sure people may read a section or two, or if I ask people they will, but I don't think anyone will read it to the end.

Unfortunately, I don't have any remedies to fix this and I could just be pointing out an unfixable problem. I'm guilty of the same thing. I technically owe Draxzar like three critiques for a four part story of his and I only read the first three of four chapters of George Michael's pregnancy story in late 2007.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:30 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Is it a story with defined sections? I wonder if we could try to fiddle with the points system so you can post your story in installments...that involves you yelling at Andy to talk to me about YWO, though.

Tumblr!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:42 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 81
Why couldn't you just post your story in 4 installments? Too many points? I suppose 24 points for 8,000 words maybe be a bit steep. 1,500-2,000 words is a lot more manageable, and, if you space them out well (as in, not all at once) you can gain followers. That is how multi-chapter stories like fantasy ones in the 'members' only novel' section get critiques even 10 chapters in. Of course, the requires you to get critiques in the first place, and the hard truth is that the worse a piece is the easier it is to critique. Anyways, I would recommend that if you don't mind breaking it up into parts.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:00 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Raconteur (Offline)
Aspiring Author

It could get complicated ... but why not split short stories into sections. (Not novels, just stories that are "one chapter") And have the sections depend on how many words it is.

So, say someone wants to post a story in the 1500-2000 word section. They'd first need to critique something in the "1500-2000" section.

Basically, if all their points are from critiquing short stories in the "under 500 words" section, they can't post in anything but the 500 words section until they critique something from the longer-word sections?

Does that make sense ...
Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

That makes sense, Amour. I think the problem is we'd end up with a few too many sections :S. We have 3 short story sections as it is.

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 34
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Why couldn't you just post your story in 4 installments? Too many points? I suppose 24 points for 8,000 words maybe be a bit steep. 1,500-2,000 words is a lot more manageable, and, if you space them out well (as in, not all at once) you can gain followers. That is how multi-chapter stories like fantasy ones in the 'members' only novel' section get critiques even 10 chapters in. Of course, the requires you to get critiques in the first place, and the hard truth is that the worse a piece is the easier it is to critique. Anyways, I would recommend that if you don't mind breaking it up into parts.
I broke my story down into 4 installments (there's a link in my sig) ranging from about 1,000 to about 3,000 words, though all four installments were in the first post. People would read the first installment or the second, but no one has read sections three or four on this site.

@Shaun
I can try to talk to Andy about it. What do you want me to tell him?
Old 01-15-2010, 01:31 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Tell him that if he doesn't talk to me soon I will start cutting myself...or tell him something else that makes me sound far less needy...

You know, maybe what we need is some sort of way to work out crit exchanges or something. It seems unfair to have longer stories get ignored :S.

Tumblr!

My Random Stuff:

YWO Stuff:
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
Time to go to war.
Time to go to war.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:28 AM View Post #9 (Link)
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 81
Or... the longer stories can get broken up into sections. While it comprimises the integrity of the story in some cases where there is no natural break, it seems like a simple solution. We do it with chapters to novels, and while those technically should be longer, most of my chapters are in the 2000 word range and I don't mind having to use an extra 6 points every time (maybe serving to the rarity of me posting a chapter, but still...). This is more a problem with the points system and it viewing two sections of different lengths the same way, but that is something we need Andy for, so I suppose your point still stands.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:48 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 83
Well if we start implementing points = certain number of words, then it will get a little too complicated. The only thing I think we could do is just encourage shorter posts.

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?