Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-24-2009, 03:42 PM View Post #21 (Link)
appleofmyeye (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 24
Originally Posted by appleofmyeye View Post
I just bought mine . I feel like less of a mooch already .
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
And you are officially in my bin of totally awesome people!
Poor Shaun and his Alzheimers . /spam
Old 11-25-2009, 12:28 AM View Post #22 (Link)
lango (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 28
Hey! I bought a copy and I'm not on your sig!
Well, about the thread...
First, geez you guys get heated up so fast over anything. I mean, it's a forum for young writers, but we can act mature if we want.

Positive things: Making newcomers have to critique before posting. That stops those random people that posted entire books and then never came back to the site.

Negative things: This isn't exactly something negative, but I agree with most people that mentioned that we have much more posts on the fun sections then on the writing sections... maybe you guys could make normal posts cost 1 critique point or something like that...

2013 is the end of you idiots saying 2012 is the end.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:32 PM View Post #23 (Link)
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 81
Originally Posted by Adri View Post
I like how when the normal members say anything against the mods, they get all riled up. How cute. Like Zomb said, they're our opinions. Besides, he's not the only one that said anything, so there's no point in just 'attacking' him.

Chill out.
I'll stop after I just clarify these two points.

1) Mod activity is something Shaun cannot control unless he removes us, and there was little suggested by you guys in terms of fixing what is admitted by both sides to be a problem.
2) I keep hearing that the mods aren't acting quick enough, but I haven't been asked to do anything specifically by a member in months, I do what I can otherwise, but I can't read your thoughts and we still need some kind of notice if you feel someone should be watched, warned, etc.

I still fail to see how I attacked anyone in any way. I tried to give context to the mods absence and to credit Mercy with the incredible work that she has done. The only thing I suggested the members do better is give us members who the community as a whole feels are a problem and we'll deal with them. Of course, unless it is a writing post, a long post outside of the debate forum automatically registers as an "attack" (and no, Adri, I'm not just saying this to you). I feel I was fully within my right to defend the mods, particularly Mercy.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 PM View Post #24 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
How about everyone shut the hell up about that. Mods and members included. Jesus. Someone brings it up, someone else gets upset, and then other people take shots at the people who got upset...

Chill out and stop responding. Everyone.

Now, give me other crap to work with, please! Stick to the point of the thread...everyone.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:51 AM View Post #25 (Link)
Raconteur (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Well, I've only been here a few days, but I'll give you some first impressions:

I like the points system for the sole purpose of critiquing, a lot. I've never encountered it before, though, so I can't compare it to anything else.
The seriousness of the site is something else I like - it's not a place to collect reviews, or spam things you've written in less than five minutes.

I don't know if there's a way to see already... but it would be useful to have a 'recent posts' link at the bottom of the forums? It'll be an easier way to see what an active thread is right now, so things aren't posted in and forgotten. I'm not sure if this has been tried, or is around somewhere

Hmm... some type of notification when someone's replied to your threads? Or a link that shows all new replies to your threads? I don't know.. this might be around somewhere, too..
Old 11-26-2009, 05:10 AM View Post #26 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 83
Originally Posted by Amour View Post

I like the points system for the sole purpose of critiquing, a lot. I've never encountered it before, though, so I can't compare it to anything else.
The seriousness of the site is something else I like - it's not a place to collect reviews, or spam things you've written in less than five minutes.

I don't know if there's a way to see already... but it would be useful to have a 'recent posts' link at the bottom of the forums? It'll be an easier way to see what an active thread is right now, so things aren't posted in and forgotten. I'm not sure if this has been tried, or is around somewhere

Hmm... some type of notification when someone's replied to your threads? Or a link that shows all new replies to your threads? I don't know.. this might be around somewhere, too..
http://www.youngwritersonline.net/se...earchid=124346 This is the "Today's Posts" Put your cursor on the Forum tab at the top, and it will open this little thingie. Click Today's posts, and it will show you...today's posts

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?
Old 11-26-2009, 06:36 AM View Post #27 (Link)
Raconteur (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Oooooh. That's exactly what I was looking for! (apparently not very hard )
Thanks!
Old 11-26-2009, 03:15 PM View Post #28 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
Originally Posted by Amour View Post

If you subscribe to a thread, then you'll get the new posts in your User CP. you can change it in your options to automatically subscribe to any thread you post in, or you can manually subscribe to whatever thread you want to by going to the thread options or whatever at the top of the first post of a thread and click "subscribe to thread."

I think that makes sense.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:16 AM View Post #29 (Link)
Diocletian (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 15
What I don't like about this site is that there isn't enough social drama.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:51 AM View Post #30 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

What do you mean by social drama, Dio? We've had a bit of that in the last 6 months, but it's of the brand that I'm not particularly interested in keeping around here, so do you mean a different kind?

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.