Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-23-2009, 11:57 PM View Post #1 (Link) End of 2009 Complaint and Suggestion Thread!
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
Alright, so we're getting to the close of 2009 and I want to hear from our members.

What do you like about YWO? What do you not like? What should be changed or be added? Honest opinions appreciated here. Seriously.

We can't change everything, but knowing what it is that bugs you all, or what you like most, will help us make YWO a better place.

The only rule is this: be civil. This is not the place for personal attacks. Let's keep it friendly and honest. No attacking one another for giving an opinion.

So have at it!

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:22 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
The fact that newb threads don't count for posts since spam is so common
The mag
The slight jump in critiques

Dislikes:
The small amount mod activity (before Bowie I hardly ever saw anyone on.)
People that do not critique but continuously post spam all over the forum, especially in newb threads
People that do not post work, but remain on the forum for no good reason (I don't think there's a fix for this, I'm just sayin'.)
Posts in games section > literature section, but we've tried to fix that before, and it didn't work.
Bad grammar amongst newbs. :3 (again, nothing really to do about that one, I'm just sayin'. Again. :p)

And I think that's it for me.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:07 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Simmi (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 53
Originally Posted by Adri View Post
The fact that newb threads don't count for posts since spam is so common
The mag
The slight jump in critiques

Dislikes:
The small amount mod activity (before Bowie I hardly ever saw anyone on.)
People that do not critique but continuously post spam all over the forum, especially in newb threads
People that do not post work, but remain on the forum for no good reason (I don't think there's a fix for this, I'm just sayin'.)
Posts in games section > literature section, but we've tried to fix that before, and it didn't work.
Bad grammar amongst newbs. :3 (again, nothing really to do about that one, I'm just sayin'. Again. :p)

And I think that's it for me.
Pretty much everything Adri said.
Just to add some things:

Dislikes:
The newbs-- Oh wait, she said that, too.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 83
I could add the critique system in the dislikes. We need a way so that when they don't say the quote button, they shouldn't get points.

Currently, some newbs just copy/paste the stories, and get the full amount of points. >.>

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:31 AM View Post #5 (Link)
jcsk88 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Location: Singapore. If you ever find yourself on this sunny island, give me a shout.
Times Thanked: 76
I completely agree with Bowie on that. I also think people should get points when they are thanked for a critique. I'm also looking forward to Andy's update on the more stringent points system. As for the newbs that don't spell and can't give useful comments, higher mod activity and temporary lockdown of their unearned posts might encourage them in the right direction without scaring them away. Welcome threads could be closed after one week of "initiation" to limit spam. That's about all I can think of for now.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:41 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
Originally Posted by jcsk88 View Post
I completely agree with Bowie on that. I also think people should get points when they are thanked for a critique. I'm also looking forward to Andy's update on the more stringent points system. As for the newbs that don't spell and can't give useful comments, higher mod activity and temporary lockdown of their unearned posts might encourage them in the right direction without scaring them away. Welcome threads could be closed after one week of "initiation" to limit spam. That's about all I can think of for now.
I really like that idea.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:44 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Mercy (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 104
Originally Posted by jcsk88 View Post
We actually do close/delete their writing threads if we catch them and send them a friendly warning about their critiques.

Feel free to PM me for a critique!
How to Critique by Andy
The Great Newb Guide
by Tsuki

Old 11-24-2009, 04:41 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
Well it ain't the end of the year yet but so far here are my thoughts.

Pros
1. Groups-I think this was a fantastic idea and I am very glad that some interesting little groups took off.

2. The Magazine-What other writing forum has their own magazine? Not many. But we do!

3. Critiques-People are getting better and better. Almost every member knows what to do when it comes to critiquing. This is a major plus.

4. Raf's forthcoming animation- I am quite excited.

Cons
1. Low Moderator presence-It seems that 90% of the time, no Moderator or Administrator is online when most members need them. This is my biggest complaint. (This does not include Bowie's new appointment.)

2. Terrible Newbies- Enough said.

3. Members who Spam- You should all be ashamed of yourselves. >=(

Suggestions.
1. Simple enough, mods who are hardly around to do the job they are required to do should be let go. If this were a job, and you hardly showed up to work, what would the boss do?

2. Punish the members who know better than to spam needlessly to make an example of.
If you've been here long enough and you contribute to useless bullshit, you should be reprimanded. Period.

3. Members should be required to critique a piece of literature at LEAST once a month. I can think of one member who doesn't critique ever. Something should be done about this.

Just layin' down my thoughts.

Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 AM View Post #9 (Link)
jcsk88 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Location: Singapore. If you ever find yourself on this sunny island, give me a shout.
Times Thanked: 76
Originally Posted by Zombified View Post
3. Members should be required to critique a piece of literature at LEAST once a month. I can think of one member who doesn't critique ever. Something should be done about this.
I stopped short of asking for a minimum crit quota as I thought it might seem a little... coercive? But if it ever gets implemented, I think the site will be better off for it. A writing site shouldn't lose its focus, and that's one way to keep good feedback flowing.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:38 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 142
Originally Posted by Zombified View Post
That makes YWO seem like a chore. It doesn't make sense, someone could be on vacation or having a really busy month, I don't think they should be forced to critique.
What I don't like about this site is that there isn't enough social drama.