Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 12-14-2007, 05:17 PM View Post #11 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
Here is where everyone posts all his or her half-baked, brainstormed ideas that never really got anywhere. Thus, people will help by posting suggestions about the different directions the story could go.
It's almost like a pool of brainstorming, in other words.
Okay, I'm just a wee bit confused on the nature of this section. Will it be for people to post ideas that they're not going to use? Or for people to post ideas that they're not sure about, but may want to use with some input? I like both, but I'm not sure which one you're asking for.

Hey Shaun, do you think this is a good idea? Of course, you could have indicated that in your post, but...

Last edited by Andy; 12-14-2007 at 05:24 PM.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:24 PM View Post #12 (Link)
AWritersFantasy (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 4
The gist I got from the original post about it was that it would basically be for ideas that people might not be using. Or maybe even ideas that they do plan on using eventually but don't mind seeing others use, as long as they know who's using them. Kind of like the adopt-a-plot threads at the NaNo boards- someone will give a plot idea, and then someone who likes that idea says "thanks, so-and-so, I'll totally use this!"

I have something similar set up at my board, and unfortunately people haven't filled it with many ideas, but I think it would be a bit more successful here since the boards here are more active right now than my board is.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:34 PM View Post #13 (Link)
Idea Scribe

Something I'd like to suggest is having a disclaimer post saying something like "by posting your ideas here, you are fine with the fact that other people will be using your plot, setting, character, etc ideas towards their own writing, and are therefor giving permission for them to do so freely." That way, if someone writes a story using an idea someone else gave in that section, the original person who came up with the idea can't justifiably b**** about someone else using the idea because they'll have already given permission just by posting in that section.

Here's another question/suggestion: how is it going to be set up? By this I mean, are there going to be sub-forums dedicated to each genre (fantasy, sci-fi, etc)? Or could there be sub-forums for things like "plot, characters, setting" ideas so that each forum is dedicated to one of those things each? If so, each sub-forum could have one (or a few, depending) thread dedicated to being the "official" thread for random plots where you don't really go into detail. Any other threads made in those sections could be for giving ideas that you have that are more detailed (so basically one paragraph or less in the dedicated thread VS a few paragraphs or more in one thread). The people who come up with ideas could also have one thread for themselves where they just randomly post ideas that they come up with in that single thread so that others can see all of their ideas and then tell that person they're taking whichever idea.

o.O Hopefully that made sense. I'd be able to explain it better (or give a visual example) if my message board had a sub-forums feature, but sadly it doesn't. Which is annoying in more ways than one.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:38 PM View Post #14 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestion.

When I made something like this on TW, we did something exactly like that. It was all split up by category, with one genre per thread, and the threads were like "Action/Adventure Fiction" and "Dramatic Poetry", etc. It worked there, so I think doing the same thing here would be a good idea.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:47 PM View Post #15 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Imelda View Post
It worked on TW? No one uses it ...
In terms of how the categories looked and how people were able to find them, it worked.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:35 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
I think this is a bad idea. Why do we need a new forum section for something you can do elsewhere on the site? We have the Writing Q & A, the Coop, and various other sections that things within this proposal could be placed. That's my conjecture, but nobody really has asked me for my opinion on this...which sort of irks me

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:11 PM View Post #17 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Actually, there are no parts of the site where people can post ideas that they're not going to use, where people can take ideas and not be considered thieves. So, if it's a place where people can post unused ideas, I think it would be neat.

But for a place where people can post minor ideas and get feedback, we already have Other Writing and that Q & A section. So if that's what Scotty's suggesting, I don't think we need one.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:49 AM View Post #18 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
Original post: "Here is where everyone posts all his or her half-baked, brainstormed ideas that never really got anywhere. Thus, people will help by posting suggestions about the different directions the story could go.
It's almost like a pool of brainstorming, in other words."

That's what it looks like he's talking about. There are plenty of places to do that already I think. If we're talking about a place where people can post ideas they aren't going to use, why do we need a forum for them? Why not a thread or two? How many ideas could you possible have to give away, and why are you giving them away unless they're bad ideas?

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:01 AM View Post #19 (Link)
Idea Scribe

Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
If we're talking about a place where people can post ideas they aren't going to use, why do we need a forum for them? Why not a thread or two? How many ideas could you possible have to give away, and why are you giving them away unless they're bad ideas?
Look at the NaNo forums. In each section for the genres and the plot doctoring section there are adopt-a-title, adopt-a-plot, adopt-a-sub-plot, and more threads that are currently not on the front page of that section that have pages of ideas people have given. All of those people gave ideas in those threads that they were willing to give away. I would say a good majority of them were not bad ideas at all. For me, if I were giving away an idea it would probably be because I'd tried it myself and couldn't get into it for whatever reason, so I would want to see how others would approach the idea. That's no different from this. Plus, it always helps to have a place to look for new story ideas when you're stuck. Even just part of a plot idea could spark something for whatever you're writing about.

If we were to go about this the right way, set up certain rules and disclaimers, it could be successful. If we don't try, then we'll never know if it's a good or bad idea. -Shrug-
Old 12-15-2007, 03:13 AM View Post #20 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa guys, wait for me! Didn't have time to reply to all of these yet.

What I was originally thinking was just a forum to post ideas that have writer's block. Whether you still use them or not is up to you. It's just that I was really frustrated in not being able to post something in the right place when I wanted to talk about a story that I'm currently writing and asking for advice and suggestions. It'll just be like a "Writer's Block" forum, where people can also talk about ways to relieve writer's block or maybe even start a story.