Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM View Post #51 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Originally Posted by Ninjatrone View Post
.....You can actually indent? Whenever I hit the tab key, the page scroller goes crazy, and nothing has changed.
No, you can't indent. No text box on the internet can indent.

I'm working on a feature that will let you view someone's writing as indented.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 PM View Post #52 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Quick update: I'm currently swamped with projects and midterms, but there's not much left to do.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:16 PM View Post #53 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Just some rambling for anyone interested...

I think the most difficult part of doing this new system is the word counts for inline critiques.

When you look at an inline critique, the words are easy to spot. They're visual. Programs aren't. The code I'm writing has to look for all those [COLOR] tags and count the words in them. Sounds easy, but what if you've got something like this?

[COLOR=Red] [COLOR=Red] [COLOR=Red] word [/COLOR] [/COLOR] [/COLOR]

If the code isn't careful, then it'll count that word three times. And if it doesn't skip over those color tags, then it will count the tags themselves as words.

Also difficult is that I need to write three programs, all of which simply do a word count. Why?

• The first two programs count words anytime you want while you're doing a critique, by pressing a button.
    • The first one does this for the standard editor (where all smilies and tags appear as text)
  • The second one does this for the WYSIWYG editor (where smilies and other things will actually appear the way they will be displayed once you submit your reply).
    • Both editors use different methods to display their text, so two programs are necessary.
  • The third one, though, will count words only after your reply is submitted, after both of the above formats are converted into the same format. While the first two are stored in your browser, this third one is stored on YWO's server. This means it is secure and impossible to tamper with, whereas the first two could be easily modified by someone who wants to edit the way their browser displays pages.

The other hassle is making sure all the programs will produce the exact same word count. Switching from the standard editor to the WYSIWYG editor should not result in a different word count. And if the third program (in a different programming language) isn't a perfect replica of the other two, then you might check your count, see 300 words, then submit it and discover YWO counted only 299 words, and possibly be cheated out of points if 300 was a benchmark.

At the moment, all three programs work perfectly, except for a few small things like quotes.

And it's reasons like this why this is taking so long.

Last edited by Andy; 10-14-2009 at 02:29 PM.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:18 AM View Post #54 (Link)
Simmi (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 53
That sounds positively confusing. But I read the whole thing~ Good luck with making sure everything works. And thanks in advance for trying to make the site cooler than it already is.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:10 PM View Post #55 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
That sounds positively confusing. But I read the whole thing~ Good luck with making sure everything works. And thanks in advance for trying to make the site cooler than it already is.
Sure. I just want to try and explain why it's been weeks and it still isn't done. The current points system has flaws, mostly because said flaws involve difficult solutions.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:34 PM View Post #56 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Okay, another update. The point and word calculators are done. All that remain are some minor things which affect user permissions and posting buttons, a lot of which are just to make the moderators' jobs easier and prevent some techniques that could be used to earn undeserved points.

• Show error message if someone tries to critique something they already critiqued, or if the author tries to critique their own work
  • Add some warning messages if someone tries to critique something that's very old, or if their browser's settings are not allowing for full use of the critique buttons
  • etc...

Old 10-21-2009, 04:29 PM View Post #57 (Link)
jcsk88 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Location: Singapore. If you ever find yourself on this sunny island, give me a shout.
Times Thanked: 76
I'm getting rather excited with all the changes going on to this site right now. I'm not sure if this is the right place to raise this, but I'd like to suggest that some weight be given to the thanks received as well? Considering that a useful crit will almost surely be met with gratitude, I'd think this is another way to cultivate an actively critiquing culture. I have no idea how difficult that is to implement though... (sorry, computer illiterate).
Old 10-21-2009, 11:05 PM View Post #58 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by jcsk88 View Post
I'm getting rather excited with all the changes going on to this site right now. I'm not sure if this is the right place to raise this, but I'd like to suggest that some weight be given to the thanks received as well? Considering that a useful crit will almost surely be met with gratitude, I'd think this is another way to cultivate an actively critiquing culture. I have no idea how difficult that is to implement though... (sorry, computer illiterate).
I'm not sure. In a future update I might make the thank-you icon easier to spot so more people will use the feature.

I will be happy to finally get this all done, though. I have a long list of other things I'd like to do for the site (the first two were the portfolio and Care to Crit updates), and doing them will be comparatively easier than changing the points system.