Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 08-28-2009, 10:40 PM View Post #1 (Link) Literature and the Points System
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
For those of you familiar with posting and critiquing literature on YWO, this thread is for you.

The points system isn't perfect. Neither is the fact that critiques and submissions are done the exact same way as normal posts. It was made way back when I didn't know as much about programming as I do now, so we're in a better position to do something about it.

What I'd like to do is make it perfect. Make it fair, make it convenient. Remove anything that can make it frustrating, while making sure people still do their fair share of critiques.

If you have any ideas, no matter how unlikely you think it will happen, post them here. If you can think of any features or adjustments that would make it better, please post them here.

One feature I have in mind is prose formatting, such as paragraph indenting and spacing between paragraphs - which will be done automatically. Thus, prose will look more like the left than the right:

Last edited by Andy; 08-28-2009 at 10:51 PM.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:44 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
Well, something that would be good to do is change the points structure. I think it's too easy to get enough points to post. We need to get some sort of two for one system going (or three for one). That way crits are more frequent.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
When I edit in a new enough section of the story that I think I need to lose ten points, my garbage post to lose those ten points shouldn't be the color of the posts with story.

And I'd like to be able to respond in-thread to an author's comments without getting more critique points for emptiness. All I can think of, for now ... Maybe there could be a way to change the colors, between story and non-story, because even after you fix the system (assuming you want to), all my previous posts will still be all wrong.

Welcome back.

My mother is a fish.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:04 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Starry (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 28
Yay! It's an Andy!

Love the actually-being-able-to-do-indenting thing. I wish I could steal it for my school's forum, but the coding would probably be too difficult for me to manage.

I think I suggested this a while ago, but I think it would be good if there was a minimum character or word limit for actually receiving points for critiques at all, to keep people from doing one-liners. I have no idea what that limit should be, but enough to assure at least a paragraph response at the end.

Also, I don't know what the current options are for this, but if there would be some way for the author/creator of the thread to flag a critique that they think is unacceptable, so they didn't have to go through the trouble of PMing a mod, that would be nice. It would probably help the mods timewise, too.

And of course there's still my suggestion (though I don't really think it would help that much) that when a new person joins the site, they automatically get directed to the rules list/FAQ so that maybe they'll actually read them before complaining about not understanding anything.

Wow, I complain a lot. Oh well.

Estara
Word Count: 49376/100000

~<3~
Old 08-29-2009, 02:11 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 83
I think increasing the amount of text needed to gain points should be raised. Or you could also decrease the maximum points received by half, so then people will have to critique more than once to post.

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?

Last edited by Bowie20049; 08-29-2009 at 08:50 PM.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 PM View Post #6 (Link)
MattCKT (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 5
ah that's my piece you used in the top left ^-^ that style indenting would be nice!

I definately think that getting a straight two critiques for one post system would work nicely in getting a better critique:post ratio on the site, but I imagine it'd be hard to do that whilst having the lengths of critiques still count towards points earned? (That said I don't know anything about coding) .

"Two swallows do not make a spring, nor does one fine day"-
Aristotle.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:10 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
If I can have indenting, I don't want spaces between paragraphs. Very recently, I finally figured out how to convert between no-space and space, but I don't mind losing the hassle. So I would hope you can make them separately enabled. I'd love to banish journalism spacing from my mind, because otherwise it's just not healthy.

My mother is a fish.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carraka View Post
When I edit in a new enough section of the story that I think I need to lose ten points, my garbage post to lose those ten points shouldn't be the color of the posts with story.
I'd like to fix it so that we won't even have a need for those "garbage posts"

Originally Posted by Starry View Post
I think I suggested this a while ago, but I think it would be good if there was a minimum character or word limit for actually receiving points for critiques at all, to keep people from doing one-liners. I have no idea what that limit should be, but enough to assure at least a paragraph response at the end.
What I think will work is having some sort of benchmarks. Where points will no longer be proportional to word counts. For example (EXAMPLE):
300-599 words = 1 point
600-999 words = 1.5 points
1000+ words = 2 points
Also, I don't know what the current options are for this, but if there would be some way for the author/creator of the thread to flag a critique that they think is unacceptable, so they didn't have to go through the trouble of PMing a mod, that would be nice. It would probably help the mods timewise, too.
There's always the flag button in the bottom-left corner of the post.

And of course there's still my suggestion (though I don't really think it would help that much) that when a new person joins the site, they automatically get directed to the rules list/FAQ so that maybe they'll actually read them before complaining about not understanding anything.
I am considering having a "Help" link in the next design update, and a smaller link for rules.

Originally Posted by Bowie20049 View Post
I definately think that getting a straight two critiques for one post system would work nicely in getting a better critique:post ratio on the site, but I imagine it'd be hard to do that whilst having the lengths of critiques still count towards points earned? (That said I don't know anything about coding) .
No, it shouldn't be too hard.

Old 08-30-2009, 05:59 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Starry (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 28
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
There's always the flag button in the bottom-left corner of the post.
I knew there was one of those somewhere!

But I'm thinking less of a "troll/ad/other rulebreaking things" flag (which I think that one is supposed to be) and more of a "this person should be reprimanded/taught how to do crits for real because they're doing it" wrong sort of alert.

Estara
Word Count: 49376/100000

~<3~
Old 08-31-2009, 04:19 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

I knew there was one of those somewhere!

But I'm thinking less of a "troll/ad/other rulebreaking things" flag (which I think that one is supposed to be) and more of a "this person should be reprimanded/taught how to do crits for real because they're doing it" wrong sort of alert.
Oh, I see.

Good suggestion. I'll try to implement it.