Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-20-2009, 01:01 AM View Post #1 (Link) Poetry Guide
ReccyV (Offline)
Banned

Times Thanked: 12
Disclaimer:
All of these are rules with exceptions, don't Private Message me, arguing certain points. This is merely meant as an umbrella guide.

Okay, so, most of you poets are pretty ignorant of poetic value and form. I’m tired of constantly regurgitating my advice in every new poem I read, so, I’ve written this guide in hopes that you all will read it and learn. Wishful thinking, I know.

So let’s start with the basics

Meter and Stress are every poet's best friend as they enable cadence, rhythm, tone, and power.
Meter is the term used to classify the number of syllables in a line. Each line is grouped into a metrical foot. Similarly, Stress is the stressed/unstressed pattern of syllables in each line. Iamb is the most common; unstressed, stressed.
When paired together you get the most common Metrical Foot; Iambic Pentameter;
Five feet of iambs
` / ` / ` / ` / ` /
To flay the fickle knife on fishy flesh

` denotes unstressed \ denotes stressed.

Purple poetry (bad teenage angst poetry) rarely makes use of this, and so it's easily seen as amateur-- like a bleach white bikini strap across angry red sunburn- which brings us to our next topic.

Imagery.
Imagery is the use of metaphors and similes to portray a certain scene. You may call your poem an imagery poem, but it isn't. There is a difference between overstuffing your poem with images and using poetic metaphors.
Watch:
Yours:
Clown fish peek from tendrils of anemones

Mine:
Pagliacci faces, from a greenhouse frame peek.

Notice any differences?
I do. Not only did I allude to clowns via Pagliacci (It's an opera) but I alluded to anemone's and plant life via greenhouse.
Also, ending a line with a noun is generally weak. Jeremy taught me to use the old style Germanic English. Try sporadically placing lines ending in a verb rather than a noun, it sounds brilliant.

Diction: The one thing every poet wants to avoid is shoddy diction. Diction is your word choice and most of you people use the, forgive me for stealing this, Fat-Bitch ideology. Hey! Let's stuff as much in as possible in the least amount of lines!
"The light purple shiny fish, with bulging eyes and teeth that looked like rusty fishhooks dangling from his extended maw."
That, that right there is terrible. Overstuffed, shoddy imagery, it's an info-dump. Also, don't use giant words that you don't understand, or use a thesaurus to find synonyms for words like red, or passion. It'll be obvious.

Your message needs to be clear, yet shrouded. You can't say something like: "The bird is blue"
but you also can't say
"flash of azure"

Also, avoid cliche and trite images like these:
The serenity of water and the ocean
The cruelty of man and war
The juxtaposition of water's serenity and earth's chaos
Cutting wrists
A break-up
Falling in love
Killing someone
Dying
The ocean
etc.
Honestly, I think there's a whole webpage dedicated to Oceanic poems.
Yup here it is. http://www.poetryinnature.com/nature/ocean-poems.asp

Here's a reading list for you all:

Because I could not stop for death... By Emily Dickinson
http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/en.../cs6/stop.html

A Noiseless Patient Spider- Walt Whitman
http://www.bartleby.com/142/208.html

Electra on Azalea Path- Sylvia Plath
http://www.angelfire.com/tn/plath/electra.html

i sing of Olaf glad and big- e.e. cummings
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15408

Last edited by ReccyV; 07-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:40 PM View Post #2 (Link) Poetry Guide Redux
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
Courtesy of ReccyV. I didn't write this. Lol. I'm not that intelligent when it comes to poetry.

So you want to learn Poetry? Mkay.

Step 1: Lovelovelove I want your Love: The Use of Theme

If you're going to write a poem, chances are you've already got an idea. Now, you can start practically anywhere, even the most base ideas can become something imagery. Love, for instance, though seen as a cliche, can be twisted to mean anything. You can literally make ANYTHING from love. When you come up with an idea or theme, DO NOT make it more specific than it needs to be; doing thus will limit yourself. Start broad, something that's wide enough for you to cover without repeating the words of six million poets before you.

Examples of broad themes:
Love
Regret
Hatred
Childhood
Aging
Perspective
Musings
Memories

Once you have a broad idea, branch it out so that it's unique. Come up with some kind of metaphor that will help you link your idea.

Examples:
Love: Hearts are suns and the bones in you are meteors. Love is gravity. Surreal and Harsh.

Ta-Da!

Step 2. Conjunction Junction: The Use of Structure.

Poetry or Verse is composed of a set amount of lines (known as verses) compiled into sections (known as stanzas.) There are multiple types of stanzas which are named for the amount of verses they contain:
couplet- two verses
tercet- three verses
quatrain-four verses
quintain- five verses
etc.

These are important to know when using Structured Poetry, which are different from Free Verse in that they abide by a set type/amount of stanzas, a certain form, and/or a set rhyme/repetition scheme. Common forms of Structured Poetry are:
The Villanelle -- Do Not Go Gently Into That Good Night by Dylan Thomas
The Sonnet (Petrarchian, English, or Shakespearian)--
The Couplet (Heroic or Closed)--Canterbury Tales by Chaucer or any works by Alex Pope
and The Sestina-- Sestina by Elizabeth Bishop

In Free Verse poetry, poets break pre-conceived notions that poetry is set in a rigid form. Many take outlandish styles and forms, often using odd line breaks, enjambment, spelling changes, and off-kilter meter to distinguish key ideas from the rest of the poem. Examples of free verse poets are:
Sylvia Plath
Allen Ginsburg
Jack Kerouac
Charles Bukowski
Anne Sexton
and the master of diverse form: e.e. cummings

Step 3: Slight as a blue damsel fly: Imagery

Now that you've got your foundation and house built, you need some furniture, some paint. Make this house a home.

In poetry, Imagery and Metaphor is our paint. It makes rainbows out of monochrome. To properly construct an image, poets usually rely on the common simile.

A Simile is a comparison of two objects using the word like or as. So, for example:

"Our hearts swam up stream
like damsel flies"

Hearts are being compared to Damsel Flies, which are African insects normally found near ponds or swamps. Now with the fundamental image created, you can spruce it up a little bit, reassure the reader that your connection is valid.

"Our hearts swam up stream
like damsel flies,
blue and the thin veins
stretched out as cracks in glassy wings,
beating for freedom."

Oh! Look there! You've now managed to combine TWO similes together to SHOW the reader that your love was free as a blue insect beating in your chest or flying freely. LOVE IS FLIGHT! Mission successful.

From here, you can continue your poem on in different forms, it really depends on you.

This guide is complete for now. If you think that you need more help, Private Message me and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by Rouge; 05-29-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:55 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Peppermental (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 137
is this the one he wrote the other day?

ANDREW I LOVE YOU
[Jack] Caleb <3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Jack] 333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Jack] 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Faust] Caleb!
[Rose] CALEB!
[Jack] 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Peppermental] so jack.