Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-19-2009, 12:18 AM View Post #1 (Link) 'Lo
johnroyal (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 5
I'm John Royal, as my username says. I'm sixteen, been writing for a while now, but only started writing seriously sometime last October, I think.

I've got a website where I post writing. (which this won't let me post till I have ten posts, apparently. I don't think I'm a spammer.)

Anywho. I've written mostly short stories, more flash fiction than that, actually. I have about seven or so of those stories completed. I'm in the process of attempting a second novel (second attempt, not second after one fully written) which is about 13000 words in. I try to write about 1300 words a day, at least, Monday through Friday, and have recently found out whats works best with me, time and environment to write in, which is nice to know. Also writing another short story right now.

I've put together a literary magazine collecting somewhat decent poetry written by friends of mine about love and such called "If We Knew Any Better..." I'm not a poetry writer myself, but I do appreciate it. I'm working right now on a project called ROTOR (idea taken from Warren Ellis) with a few of my friends, doing the writing aspect of it. Also, in the planning stages of putting together a community blog for stories about teenage life and all that accompanies it called Everyday Virgin.

I'm going to be published (two times, actually) on a website called Weaponizer, which I can't post a link to, sometime before or after August. I also entered a contest that I'm most likely not going to win.

Not sure why I wrote something of a résumé. But this website is the first one I've joined like it.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:24 AM View Post #2 (Link)
Majyk (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 356
Welcome to YWO! You most likely won't see me around after today since I'll be away for three weeks, as my signature says, but anyway.
So, what's your novel about?

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
— Albert Einstein

Old 07-19-2009, 12:26 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Mercy (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 104
Welcome to YWO, glad to hear you're serious about writing.
It's nice to know. =)
What genre do you like?
If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask.

Feel free to PM me for a critique!
How to Critique by Andy
The Great Newb Guide
by Tsuki

Old 07-19-2009, 12:33 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Simmi (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 53
I think we might have a good newbie on our hands.
Welcome to YWO.
What genre do you read/write?
How long have you been writing? (Not how long you've been serious about writing.)
I can't really think of any other questions.
Oh! Have you critiqued a piece of writing before? If not please check out the critique guidelines.
Read the rules, check out the FAQs.
Once again, welcome.

Last edited by Simmi; 07-19-2009 at 12:37 AM.

Reason: Added links.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:41 AM View Post #5 (Link)
johnroyal (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

@Majyk: Thanks. The novel was going to be about someone-my-age's summer vacation. It's basically turned into the character's week at an Art camp. I should really go to an Art camp, because I'm sure there's nothing close to what the setting of the thing is, but whatever. It's extremely and probably unnecessarily raunchy, which is fun, but it will never be appropiate to post anywhere or publish ever. But it's a first novel, so it's okay. It's more of just completing a goal.

@Mercy: Genre-wise, I'm not sure. I find I like really disturbing things. Disturbing, or really personal stories. But I'm open to about everything, besides hardcore fantasy. I'm the kind of guy that digs Wizard of Oz but not Lord of the Rings, if that makes sense. Sci-fi, when done right but not annoyingly overwritten... My favorite authors are Warren Ellis and more-so recently Chuck Palahniuk, because I can find his books in stores, if that helps.

@Simmi: I hope so. I've been writing, non-seriously, since I was really young. I have a comic that I drew and wrote and stapled together when I was a kid about dinosaurs or something somewhere in my house. Writing prose, (does math in head) probably four or five years? I don't know. I think I've improved a little bit since I was eleven, though.

Thanks for the welcomes, guys.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:45 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Simmi (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 53
Originally Posted by johnroyal View Post
@Simmi: I hope so. I've been writing, non-seriously, since I was really young. I have a comic that I drew and wrote and stapled together when I was a kid about dinosaurs or something somewhere in my house. Writing prose, (does math in head) probably four or five years? I don't know. I think I've improved a little bit since I was eleven, though.
Hm, I look forward to reading your work.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:49 AM View Post #7 (Link)
Mercy (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 104
Originally Posted by johnroyal View Post
@Mercy: Genre-wise, I'm not sure. I find I like really disturbing things. Disturbing, or really personal stories. But I'm open to about everything, besides hardcore fantasy. I'm the kind of guy that digs Wizard of Oz but not Lord of the Rings, if that makes sense. Sci-fi, when done right but not annoyingly overwritten... My favorite authors are Warren Ellis and more-so recently Chuck Palahniuk, because I can find his books in stores, if that helps.
Interesting. =) I, myself, enjoy writing anything that comes to mind. I completely agree with the Sci-fi thing, although to me, I use this principle in every genre. Adri likes Chuck Palahniuk. I plan to read some of his stuff soon, after I finish my extensive pile of novels at home. >.>

By the way, if you need help with that art camp thing, I've had some experiance with those. ;

Good luck on your novel.

Feel free to PM me for a critique!
How to Critique by Andy
The Great Newb Guide
by Tsuki

Old 07-19-2009, 01:16 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Iridescence (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 120
Jeez, I'm late. Hey there, John. Welcome. I'm Iri, pleased to meet you. You have a very intriguing introduction, so I'm eager to see your work. Your novel sounds...interesting . I hope you intend to post some of it. I agree with you on writing not to publish, but to complete a goal; publishing is way down the road for me...I'm struggling just to get into my story. Your writing plan sounds very good, though, and makes me feel rather guilty--I write whenever the heck I get the urge. I'm not very organized. >.< Should you ever need crits, PM me.

SIT UP STRAIGHT BITCH. GOOD POSTURE AIN'T A JOKE.

Chat Hall of Fame:
Spoiler:
[Wolfie] You gotta be shitting, me woman.
[Dabs] Everyone uses ellipses so much in this chat.
[Lykaios] lolol my life is an elipsis

Carr's Words of Wisdom

Spoiler:
fuck college read grrm
Old 07-19-2009, 01:19 AM View Post #9 (Link)
johnroyal (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

@Simmi: Thanks. I look forward to posting it. Crit-ing things now, as the two-to-one ratio is something that'd be nice to keep.

@Mercy: Thank you. I really enjoy his work. Palahniuk is the only author, besides Roberto Bolaño and Warren Ellis, who I actually buy books from. I meant, those are the genres I read. The genre I write? I don't know exactly. Whatever comes to mind, like you said. I've never written anything too fantastic, besides a really bad sci-fi Wizard of Oz rewrite I did for a class.

@Iri: Interesting is a word I'd use, too. Its about the only one I could without scaring people away. Writing as a goal is what I do, yeah. It used to be, write to get published, and then I got published, and it didn't really change anything. So writing as a goal, or actually, writing because it's fun, is a much better thing to do than get published. I know how you feel, but the urge to write for me doesn't come very often, unless I get some kind of inspiration, because I am very very lazy by nature. I might post the bits that aren't too awful. Thanks for the welcome.

Last edited by johnroyal; 07-19-2009 at 01:23 AM.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:44 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
ZOMG CHUCK PALAHNIUK. MERCY IS RIGHT. I ADORE CHUCK PALAHNIUK. <3 <3 <3

Ha ha, I'm Adri, by the way, the one she mentioned in her post.

I think I like you already, just cause of the author. I'm reading Haunted at the moment and it's absolutely fucking brilliant. ♥

Anyways, welcome, welcome and all that jazz.