Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 11:17 AM View Post #21 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
How about NO, since I don't own a 360, but do have a Wii, and my 3 months purchase of playing a 360 online will run out soon.

Oh, wait! Why am I discussing this? People with different opinions can be banned. Of course

Carraka scares me sometimes.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:21 AM View Post #22 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
Aw, you're so protective of your Wii, Andrew. Very well, you may have the Wii group, if Shaun lets you... this I'd like to see, the two admins battling it out for ownership of the Wii group! Whilst I sit on the sidelines, comfortable that my PS3 group won't be taken.

-takes out a shuriken-

Unless someone wants to speak up? Huh?

Old 01-19-2009, 11:44 AM View Post #23 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
I'm referring to a promise I made to Shaun to not mention GRRM to him for three years, with the hopes that if I stop badgering him, he'll be more encouraged to read the books.

I have my doubts as to whether it will work, because I don't think long periods of not-badgering can make up for long periods of badgering. Plus, other people might badger him while I am not-badgering him. Plus, other people have successfully gotten him to read books by badgering him, and I can only assume that I haven't managed the same because I've never met him in real life.

I think I should have attempted to offer other deals like -- I'll submit something to the SBS mag if you read GRRM! or I'll finally finish re-composing my adaptation of Summon the Worms if you read GRRM! but now it is too late.

And I'm allowed to say all of this because I'm talking to you two, not him.

-sigh-

It's very difficult to keep this promise, which is why I should be banned from YWO for a few years.

My mother is a fish.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:47 AM View Post #24 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

It's odd referring to him in the third person when you're talking to him. I have a feeling Shaun would enjoy reading GRRM. I didn't, seeing as it ain't my cup of tea. I've moved on from reading high fantasy, or rather anything that has similar styles to high fantasy, seeing as GRRM is a mix of fantasy and historical fiction. I figure I'll read some sci-fi, to expand my horizons. I'm trying to find a good style to write my own books in, one I'm comfortable with.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:00 PM View Post #25 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Okay! It's time for me to help you expand your horizons and recommend GRRM sci-fi!

No, okay. I won't. I mean, I think Tuf Voyaging is good, even though the picture of that Hooded Dracula bat scared me half to death. But I'm more scared that you'll read Tuf and hate it, even if it's totally different, and then I'll never have any chance of convincing you to give GRRM another try.

Otherwise, I haven't read enough sci-fi to be of much help. Scalzi? Walter Jon Williams? And I thought Spin was good too. Yeah. Fail. Basically, if you succeed in expanding your horizons, you're allowed to come back and help me expand mine.

I don't know if you'll "find" a good writing style, though. All them old folks say we're supposed to develop our own. My mom adores comparing my style to Rowling, Martin, Duane, or anyone else, which just ends up worrying me.

And I think you meant low fantasy. High fantasy generally has good vs. evil/hero quest elements, and low fantasy generally de-emphasizes magic, is darker, has more realism. GRRM is squarely in the latter category.

My mother is a fish.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:10 PM View Post #26 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
I've already read some GRRM, just not what Carr wants me to read. And no, Carr, you are not to leave YWO for any reason at all. Understood?

Also, Andy, I'm sorry to say this, but since Shadow said I have to give you permission to have the Wii group, I'm going to have to say no. I want someone else to have it.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM View Post #27 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

... clearly there is no way to live and hold myself to my promise.

-hangs self-

And I liked Sandkings too, even though it scared me more than the picture of the hooded dracula. That was the day I realized I did not enjoy horror. I enjoyed it so little that I had to read the story again. And again. It's like I think it'll scare me less if I reread it, but I end up just ingraining those images in my mind. Those images ...

My mother is a fish.

Last edited by Carraka; 01-19-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:30 PM View Post #28 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
I'll just get the videogames group them.

Or the technology group.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:35 PM View Post #29 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Hm, yes, I just didn't associate GRRM with low fantasy because a lot of low fantasy is pretty much a mild version of fantasy horror/dark fantasy. So, he's a mix of low fantasy and historical fiction. But I'm not particularly into low fantasy either, so it makes no difference. I'm gonna delve into sci-fi and contemporary fantasy, for now. I feel like they would be easier to write.

Edit: NOOOOO! Video Games group is MINE! I have created the original, you shall not steal it from me, Andrew. But you can have Technology.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:13 PM View Post #30 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 34
I'd like to form a gentleman's club (no not that kind. I like smut as much as anyone, but I think it'd be very inappropriate on this site), where we have to address each other very formally and talk like rich gentleman/ladies/sophisticates/aristocrats/dandies reminiscing about our adventures while on safari shortly before retiring for the evening.

Ex) Post 1, Sir Wolfgang Dubermeier III: "Indubitably, Lord Lothar Piddlypants. I needn't remind you of how I sailed the South Seas like I silver scimitar and how I ravaged the Major General's daughter and wrote a three act play at the same time!"
Post 2, Lord Lothar: *swishing his brandy* "Quite certainly, I do recall rather well that voyage, but I'm afraid I don't recall the name of your most recently operetta! On dear, it has slipped my mind! Oh, bother!"
Post 3, Dubermeier: "Oh my operetta! What a glorious work that was. I have also written the best comedy since Moliere, the best revue... since well my last one, but my operetta... it's so good it frightens even me! I shall play it three weeks in New York, two weeks in London, that's it! No matinees."
Post 4, Lord Lothar:"Oh indeed, I did quite enjoy the part with the elephant gun. I indeed fired my elephant gun at that part, if you understand my meaning! Do excuse me, I have a have the unfortunate habit to rudely speak--dear me, it seems I also have the tendency to needlessly split my infinitives! Though, if I may be so audacious, let me tell you i wouldn't be the first time!"
(Some of the dialogue I stole from the play "The Man Who Came To Dinner")

EDIT: Now that I've actually read this conversation, I have to say that I just started reading GRRM (I'm halfway through A Game of Thrones), and I'm loving it.

And I'm also joining the Shaun fan club. I'm already making the t-shirts.

Last edited by Crocolyle; 01-19-2009 at 11:25 PM.

Reason: bottom comment, clarification in first paragraph
Closed Thread