Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-11-2007, 08:24 AM View Post #1 (Link) "Critiques Owed" Display
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
So, I had this idea: basically, would it be possible to have, on our public profiles, a list of people we owe crits to, so those people on the list can PM that person anytime they want with a crit request for any piece? Let me know if you need more info or I'm not being clear enough.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:08 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Zuzy (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 4
It's an interesting idea, but from my knowledge of what the board is running on, I'm not really sure it's possible...? I don't know how customizable it is, but as far as I know, not very...?

Though I may be entirely wrong.

---
NaNo 07: Death Machine - NaNo Journal
Old 11-11-2007, 03:29 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
I think that's a cool idea, but it would be hard to maintain. There would need to be a way to add and remove people from the list, either automatically or manually. Manually, there would always be the possibility that someone forgets to add or remove a name.

Automatically would be hard because it would need to be able to tell the difference between a long critique and something that's just a comment, or a post saying you'll critique it soon. So both ways would be unreliable in a way, though I think manual, being human, would work better.

And wouldn't the person who was owed a critique need to keep track of people as well? I think it would be a pain going through everyone's profiles looking for my name.

We do have the critique reminder thing, though. Unfortunately I think it's the best we can do at this point.
http://www.youngwritersonline.net/showthread.php?t=134

Old 11-11-2007, 03:56 PM View Post #4 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
I see your point, Andrew. Unless I or someone else can think of a solution to your points, or any else's, then I guess that, yeah, it wouldn't work.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:37 PM View Post #5 (Link)
GeorgeMichael (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 54
Well for now why don't we post it all here. Post who owes you critiques and who you owe critiques to.

I.E

Owe Critiques To:
Zaphikel
Andy (never formally stated it but I want to critique the Winnower when I can.)

Owe Me Critiques:
?

You can just do it like that here probably, that way everyone knows everything. It's like a big huge reminder for everybody.

Salem's Lot - Stephen King
A Game of Thrones - GRRM
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown

If anyone is wondering, my boyfriend's internet is the absolute worst piece of shit in existence, and it causes my computer to slow down significantly anytime I enter the Chatroom. It also causes the chatroom to freeze anyway, so it's a bit futile to attempt to log in while I'm at his place.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:53 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Yeah, sorry Shadow. It's just one of those human-technology things that won't work out. But it was a creative idea nontheless.

Maybe something similar would work, though. But I can't think of anything. GM, I think that would result in a very long list.