Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 09:19 AM View Post #31 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Times Thanked: 97
Except it isn't, since I'm english. xP Our culture revolves around farming and tea.

Jordan: 2
Croc: 0

Old 09-21-2008, 05:33 PM View Post #32 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 34
English Culture is still considered Western, and Japanese culture is still infiltrating it. You keep awarding yourself points when you haven't proven anything.

Jordan: 0
Croc: 1

Old 09-21-2008, 07:16 PM View Post #33 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

I'd say our culture is more central, but whatever. Actually, stuff from Japan isn't "infiltrating" England as much as America. In England, we'll have a few very small anime cons down in London, whereas in America you get loads everywhere. And what's wrong with Eastern culture coming into other parts of the world? To me, what you're saying almost sounds racist.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:49 PM View Post #34 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

It's not racist because I'm not saying any culture is superior to any other. While I'm critical of the decline of Western culture, I'm actually more disgusted about Western cultural exports overseas. As cultures diffuse, the world becomes less diversified and blander. What value would there be in visiting another country if it becomes just like your own country.

Why go to Japan if Japan is just like America and if America is just like Japan?

Honestly though, anime has had such an influence on American culture, that Americans are imitating it instead of drawing influence from the American animation tradition or trying to develop unique, innovative culturally Western animation.

EDIT:
Shadow: 0
Croc: 3

Croc wins.

Last edited by Crocolyle; 09-22-2008 at 11:53 AM.

Reason: Updating Shadow's Masturbatory Self-Serving Scoreboard
Old 09-22-2008, 05:04 PM View Post #35 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

-destroys the scoreboard with Ninjagod powers-

Enough of that. Now, onto the debate (or rather argument, as it is pretty pathetic). So, you're saying we shouldn't mix with other cultures (not referring to racism here)? So, we shouldn't take on board any Eastern culture, such as food, entertainment, way of life, and just stick to our own. What you're saying is: what's the fun in going to another country when it's similar to your own? What about this: what's the fun in sticking having your own country exactly the same? Wouldn't that be even more boring? And no matter how many anime fanbases there are that originate from America, that doesn't change anything. Most of the anime fans are just teenagers who just don't watch it anymore when they get to adulthood. And even then, there aren't that many teens who watch anime, more of them obsess over clothes and how they look to others.

Plus, if we don't take on board stuff from Eastern culture, what about religion? Personally, I think Buddhism looks better than Christianity (though I would personally join the Church of Satan if I had to join any religion). And let's note America was FOUNDED ON ENGLISH CULTURE. If anything, American culture is Native American culture.

I would give more points, but I can't be bothered.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:22 PM View Post #36 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Originally Posted by Imelda View Post
to tell pirates they've only been pirates since PotC?
What about Captain Hook? He rocks, except he got eaten by a crocodile . . . But then the crocodile rocks too, and so does Peter and Smeeeee.

And there's Long-John Silver as well.

Also there's all the legendary real pirates like Edward Teach (Blackbeard), Henry Morgan, Samuel Bellamy, William Kidd, Bartholomew Roberts, Calico Jack . . .

Old 09-22-2008, 08:03 PM View Post #37 (Link)
Crocolyle (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
-destroys the scoreboard with Ninjagod powers-

Enough of that. Now, onto the debate (or rather argument, as it is pretty pathetic). So, you're saying we shouldn't mix with other cultures (not referring to racism here)? So, we shouldn't take on board any Eastern culture, such as food, entertainment, way of life, and just stick to our own. What you're saying is: what's the fun in going to another country when it's similar to your own? What about this: what's the fun in sticking having your own country exactly the same? Wouldn't that be even more boring? And no matter how many anime fanbases there are that originate from America, that doesn't change anything. Most of the anime fans are just teenagers who just don't watch it anymore when they get to adulthood. And even then, there aren't that many teens who watch anime, more of them obsess over clothes and how they look to others.

Plus, if we don't take on board stuff from Eastern culture, what about religion? Personally, I think Buddhism looks better than Christianity (though I would personally join the Church of Satan if I had to join any religion). And let's note America was FOUNDED ON ENGLISH CULTURE. If anything, American culture is Native American culture.

I would give more points, but I can't be bothered.
That's an oversimplification of my stance. What I'm more against is the supplementation of Eastern Culture to the detriment of Western Culture. Anime and a Japanese influence is good and fine and all, but I think too many Western entertainment venues have become replaced by foreign entertainment or are knock-offs that try to show an attempted correlation to foreign entertainment. "Buy this comic book because it looks Japanese." I mean, American cartoons increasingly try to look Japanese, rather than drawing off their American predecessors. There is an economic/cultural war, and Western culture is being replaced by Japanese.

Yeah, America was founded on English culture. That's one of the reason both our countries are considered Western. You contradict yourself saying that American culture is English and then saying it is almost entirely Native American. Because of disease, genocide, and forced European cultural domination Native American a lot of Native American culture has been lost. It's very regrettable that many of their stories, traditions, songs, myths, and beliefs are completely forgotten. Not that you care, since you are an advocate of native cultures being lost to dominant foreign influences.

Yeah, Christianity was founded in the near east and is considered a cornerstone of Western culture, but before that there were many pagan religions that are now lost because of foreign (near eastern) influence. That's what I'm worried about. What if that were to happen to your agrarian, tea-drinking culture? What if our culture began to become replaced--not really infused--but replaced with Japanese culture? I mean, I'm sure to an extent it does infuse--just as Christianity did infuse with pagan cultures--but our cultural heritage becomes diluted and all but forgotten. I'm all for cultural diffusion, but not to the point of the dillution of the original culture in exchange for the foreign one.

Aren't you at least offended by seeing McDonald's in your historical landmarks?

This is not a racist view, even if you insist on playing that card.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 PM View Post #38 (Link)
jordanisonfire (Offline)
Master of English

Woops, totally forgot about this.

That's an oversimplification of my stance. What I'm more against is the supplementation of Eastern Culture to the detriment of Western Culture. Anime and a Japanese influence is good and fine and all, but I think too many Western entertainment venues have become replaced by foreign entertainment or are knock-offs that try to show an attempted correlation to foreign entertainment. "Buy this comic book because it looks Japanese." I mean, American cartoons increasingly try to look Japanese, rather than drawing off their American predecessors. There is an economic/cultural war, and Western culture is being replaced by Japanese.
The funny thing is you're exaggerating. And you're repeating yourself. I already argued this point. Go back and read if you don't believe me.

Yeah, America was founded on English culture. That's one of the reason both our countries are considered Western. You contradict yourself saying that American culture is English and then saying it is almost entirely Native American. Because of disease, genocide, and forced European cultural domination Native American a lot of Native American culture has been lost. It's very regrettable that many of their stories, traditions, songs, myths, and beliefs are completely forgotten. Not that you care, since you are an advocate of native cultures being lost to dominant foreign influences.
What I derive from this statement, put into a simple version: "I want us to all go back to living like Native Americans, ignore everything that has happened since their mass-slaughter and go back to our American culture." That is what you're saying. And I find the last sentence very offensive. I don't feel that way at all. It's not like I want to live the full-Japanese culture. I like anime, manga, games (most games come from Japan, but that doesn't mean I don't like games from anywhere else) and Japanese food, but I don't want to live like a Japanese person (i.e. live in a tiny appartment and an overpopulated country where there's a lot of earthquakes and all the other asian countries hate us).

Yeah, Christianity was founded in the near east and is considered a cornerstone of Western culture, but before that there were many pagan religions that are now lost because of foreign (near eastern) influence. That's what I'm worried about. What if that were to happen to your agrarian, tea-drinking culture? What if our culture began to become replaced--not really infused--but replaced with Japanese culture? I mean, I'm sure to an extent it does infuse--just as Christianity did infuse with pagan cultures--but our cultural heritage becomes diluted and all but forgotten. I'm all for cultural diffusion, but not to the point of the dillution of the original culture in exchange for the foreign one.
So, we should just stick to our own cultures? You've contradicted yourself there from what you said above about not minding other cultures coming into our western countries, but in small doses. I'm NOT for ignoring religions. I don't think Buddhism is the one true religion, because it is the main Japanese religion. I think we should acknowledge all religions. It actually pains me that people here view Christianity as brilliance when the actual brilliance is in the Wicca religion and other Neo-pagan religions.

Aren't you at least offended by seeing McDonald's in your historical landmarks?
...I suppose. But what does McDonalds' have to with all this?

This is not a racist view, even if you insist on playing that card.
Actually, in my last argument statement, I accepted and stated you weren't being racist. That's only what I derived from your first argument, but I can see that's not true now.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:08 PM View Post #39 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Okay. I think everyone can agree that this is off-topic. Please continue this discussion in an appropriate thread.

*Locked*

Closed Thread