Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 10-24-2017, 05:21 AM View Post #1 (Link) I want to write again.
vaultoutfielder (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 1
Hi. I hope you guys can help me get the right motivation to write again.

I stopped writing for a while now ever since my entry to this prestigious writing contest got rejected. And not only that, there were lots of negative comments. I got discouraged and I decided not to write ever again.

But just yesterday, after few months of being sad, I thought that I should pursue my passion. However, I find it hard to get the right motivation to get started again.

Can you suggest something that can help me to be back in the right track?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:46 AM View Post #2 (Link)
wintermill (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I am not a writer so I really don't know exactly what to suggest to bring back your motivations. But I have a friend who lost his motivations and self-esteem due to some personal reasons which I just can't share. Her work and lifestyle got really affected and she had to undergo a counseling and psychological services. I am not a professional to recommend this to you but you can perhaps consider it or check out any relevant service that could help you address your problem.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:57 AM View Post #3 (Link)
vaultoutfielder (Offline)
Novice Writer

Thank you wintermill for taking your time answering my question. Some of my friends also recommended be to try talk therapy. Having a professional to help me refocus to gain back my will and motivation is not a bad idea. I should give it a shot. But I'll try online first since I'm not yet comfortable of talking about my problems in person. I already did some research on where to go to such as Better Help and checking APA website. Thank you again for your advice.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:55 PM View Post #4 (Link)
mell (Offline)
Literary Newbie

This is completely understandable. Many writers go through a period like this after rejection and especially harsh criticism. What you need to understand is that this is not the end of the world. Nearly every writer is rejected at one point, but a lot of them - sometimes after years, sometimes after months - pick it up again.

What I recommend is keeping a journal. Write for yourself for a while. It doesn't have to be about anything. It can just be a diary entry. Don't worry about whether it's good or not, it's for you and for you only - and you can always get better. Then start reading about writing. Start reading fiction. Try to write down WHY you love writing in the first place - and then jot down some book ideas or character sketches, anything that gets you excited, that makes you want to run to a keyboard and type away. Try to bring writing back into your life, little by little, even if it's just some random poem in the margins. Carve yourself a few minutes every day to write, and try not to think of writing as something that you will be judged for - think of it as a mode of expression. Something for yourself.

After a few months of this, or even just a year, you can start to go public again. Show your stories to your colleagues and your friends. Maybe post something here if you're ready for criticism. All in all, have fun.