Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 12-10-2016, 07:52 AM View Post #1 (Link) Does anyone think that self publishing at 14 is a bad idea?
Charlotte S (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 4
Hi, so recently I have begun the steps towards self publishing. However, I don't feel fully equipped to self publish (Due to struggling to find my way through the ins and outs of the technical side) but it is my dream. Is 14 to young a age to even think about publishing or should I just keep working at it but enlist the help of computer savvy friends and family?
Remember, you're amazing no matter what!!

Also, if you want me to critique some of your writing VM or PM me.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:54 PM View Post #2 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Hi, not an expert here, but here's a thread discussing similar issues and here's another and here are 7 tips to be a safe writer. If you decide to self publish, you'll have to enlist an older family member-- not just because it's a good idea for them to read a contract, but also because you're a minor, so a guardian may have to sign things for you.

I think if you don't feel ready to self publish, you should put it on the backburner, do some more research, and wait. There's no need to self publish; I don't think you'll gain a whole lot. You get a paper copy of your book, but you probably won't be able to sell that book idea to a major publishing company in the future, and you won't gain a large following.

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2016, 07:07 PM View Post #3 (Link)
MonaLon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 34
Basically what lalodragon said! Also, I'd like to add, why self-publishing instead of traditional publishing? If you think that your work isn't ready for traditional publishing, then I'd wait on self-publishing as well. Your writing should be the best you can do no matter what

Big project: The Queen of Gosnter

Smaller project: Callback

"Stuff happened." --Something someone said at some point
Old 12-27-2016, 07:17 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Charlotte S (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 4
It's not necessarily that my writing isn't ready for traditional publishing. It's that i don't get a say in what my book looks like when i go down the traditional route.
Remember, you're amazing no matter what!!

Also, if you want me to critique some of your writing VM or PM me.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:41 AM View Post #5 (Link)
MElizabeth820 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
You are definitely not too young. One option I can recommend is publishing to Amazon kindle. It's super easy, as long as you follow the instructions for formatting your document.

I published on Amazon at age 30. I had two books up for a few years and then took both down as I wanted to rewrite the manuscripts. Here is something to keep in mind: is your work ready to share with the world? The benefit is that you can edit and change it any time you want. I've also been told that the more you can publish and get your name in front of others, the better success you will have at developing a fan base.

So, basically, no, you are not too young. For me, though, being published was a dream come true and it was important to me to start with a piece of work that was important enough to me to be my "first". If you are ready with your first (probably not your best, because the best is surely to come!) then go for it!