Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-30-2008, 08:45 PM View Post #1 (Link) One-Line Crits
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 81
I've just noticed an increase in the 1 line crits. Maybe its the increase of new members, but there are ALOT of them. Maybe make the critique guide more obvious, and make them read it ((put a message at the end of the post, and edit it daily to make sure its not the same)) or something along those lines. Place it in the middle of the guide or something, because

"I really loved it, I felt like I was there. Nice work, do more" is not a critique.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Phantom (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 13
Okay, I'll admit to doing that. I'm just horrible at critiques though. I'm getting better, I haven't left a one line crit. in forever.
You
Didn't
Wish
Something
Old 07-30-2008, 08:54 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Why can't people say crit ticket by PM or messaging, isn't that what we have that for? The problem is that people like me quote, and I don't know if that counts as characters or not. If it doesn't then I guess that is problem solved.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Nyx (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 142
Originally Posted by Imelda View Post
You just have to delete and talk to them, but the moderating staff are lax here. :p
That was my suggestion when Alex and I talked about this. I think the mods should just PM them and explain to them in a kind and not scary way that one line crits are useless and they need to do better
What I don't like about this site is that there isn't enough social drama.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
I'll look into the issue. The critique guidelines can definitely be edited to mention one-line critiques. And perhaps draw more attention to them.

We've been getting a lot of new members lately. That probably has something to do with it.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:22 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Zombified (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 126
I've noticed it too.
A huge surge of them.

I've already spoke to a few members about this but everytime I do so, they get upset and leave forever.

I remember when I first started critting I would do one liners and a member on TW attacked me and said, "Do it right or get the fuck out".
After that I started getting better.

The members here that are just joining never stick around...rest assured I will contact each one myself and have a word.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:29 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Shaun and I are working on a new critique guide that will address short critiques. I also intend to draw attention to its button with large red letters.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:50 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Okay, the critique guide has been revised, mentions very short critiques, and still tries to remain as simple as possible. The text beside its button is now bold and red so nobody misses it.

One other fix. I've disabled the Quick Reply for the Literature forums. I think a big contributor to one-line critiques is that a lot of the new members simply scrolled down and used it, without ever going to the reply page with the critique information.

I will try to find some way for the Quick Reply to appear to more experienced members, but for now, this should help stem the tide.

Lastly, if you (moderator or not) see any new members giving lots of short critiques and have an uncontrollable urge to say something to them, please do it politely. Regardless of newness or inexperience, rudeness won't be tolerated.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:57 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Alex (Offline)
Freelance Writer

See, I've been seeing it, but knowing I would chew them out I kept my mouth shut. =] *is proud of self*

Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Alex View Post
See, I've been seeing it, but knowing I would chew them out I kept my mouth shut. =] *is proud of self*
I thank all people who give good suggestions. Wait for it......*Thanks*

Originally Posted by Imelda View Post
You can't stop these morons unless you put a character limit in the lit areas, and that's not fair on people saying 'crit ticket'. You just have to delete and talk to them, but the moderating staff are lax here. :p
Ooh...not nice, Imelda. We like to think of more creative ways to deal with things here.