Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 AM View Post #1 (Link) How's everyone doing thus far?
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
We're a little over the 1/3rd mark. I'm just curious to see how many words everyone has written at this point. If you're on task--good, keep going. If not--that's okay, keep going! If you're ahead--golly, keep going!

I'm ahead, having currently written about 26.5 thousand words thus far.

Last edited by Dabs; 11-11-2015 at 09:28 AM.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 AM View Post #2 (Link)
sofiathewriter (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
I've given up. BUT, I'll be doing Camp NaNo this April!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:24 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
Wow, way to go Dabs~! Keep it up!

I was far ahead starting right off the bat, but I've since then fallen behind. It's really hard to balance school work and writing when I'm trying to write so much. I don't know how this is going to happen. I'm teaching math during internship all week next week, and I will be so exhausted by the time a day is done I'll be lucky to get my stuff ready for the next day. I've still got about 4 big assignments due and some overdue stuff. When Thanksgiving comes, I'll be in a house with 14 people and I expect to pretty much lose the majority of my writing time for those four days.

The only way this is going to happen is if I actually sit and write 100 words every day I have internship, and 3000 words every free day including Thanksgiving. Which is pretty much possible but insane, and do I even want to try that when I could be videogaming all day with people I see once or twice a year?

If I rock writing and schoolwork this weekend, it'll happen. If not, then at least I'll have more written than I did at the start of the month? I just want this stupid story down on paper.

Last edited by Keladry; 11-12-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:19 AM View Post #4 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Wow I was retarded and didn't see this thread when I asked how everyone was doing in the Nanowrimo 2015 thread.

I caught up a bit yesterday. I just hit 25k. I don't think I'll ever be as fast as the first time I did Nano. Sad but true.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:42 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
Wow I was retarded and didn't see this thread when I asked how everyone was doing in the Nanowrimo 2015 thread.

I caught up a bit yesterday. I just hit 25k. I don't think I'll ever be as fast as the first time I did Nano. Sad but true.
It's hard to beat youthful optimism and free time! There's no way in hell I'd write as fast or freely now as I did when I was in high school.

Word count aside, how's the story part treating you?
Old 11-19-2015, 11:58 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
NaNo is so harrrrd. There's too many other things. I've barely even thought about novel this week. And I'm just an intern now. I don't even know how I'm gonna write at all when this is actually my job. That is a scary sort of thought. Why can't Isis be wrong and then we can all write like little kids forever?

I don't even care about word count anymore because pff, that's not happening no matter what I do. However, I will hopefully have some sort of time this weekend and I hope to dive right back into all that energy I had at the beginning. I've got ideas and the story's been working in every way except time. It will be awesome.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:08 AM View Post #7 (Link)
RockerBunny (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 29
I've fallen behind in the last week. I'm not really focusing much on word count anymore, but I'm still going to write as much of my story as I can. I've written more in November than I've written in the past few months, so at least I'm glad something's getting done.

I still have 11 days. Let's see how much I can write. Gogogogo.

Request a critique via VM/PM and I'll get to it as soon as possible.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:45 PM View Post #8 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
It's hard to beat youthful optimism and free time! There's no way in hell I'd write as fast or freely now as I did when I was in high school.

Word count aside, how's the story part treating you?
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *makes other weird uncertain groans*

This year is nowhere near as fast as the last two years. This is proabably the slowest year. Today I just realized that next Monday is the 30th and I am just barely creeping over 30,000 words. Storywise I haven't even gotten to the halfway point, which is actually the most exciting part I want to write, but the fucking annoying thing is getting there. I am at a loss at how to effectively get there.

See what I did is this:

The Drifters Drift Again is the sequel to The Drifters. Like the original Drifters, this was something I wrote as a kid. So I'm writing these now as an adult with an actual plotline and basically maturing it.

The original story had time travel in the sequel. I don't want to do that because it would just present way too many plotholes that I am not ready for. Instead, I want to have parallel universes. And then I had this insane idea:

The characters from this mature version would actually meet the characters from the kid version of the story I wrote years ago. This shit just got hella meta. The characters from the silly parallel universe exist in a universe that is more cartoony and thus nonsensical, since it was created by a nonsensical God (aka me as a kid).

I don't even know what I want the bad guys to be doing. I already introduced them in the first story but their motives were unclear. Right now it's assumed that they're actually cataloguing the different parallel universe versions of the protagonists and hoping to discover some cosmic principle to do. . some. . .shit. . .I don't know. . I don't FUCKING KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. WHAT ARE THEY DOING? I DONT KNOW. SOME SCIENCE SHIT

Last edited by ScottyMcGee; 11-23-2015 at 02:51 PM.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:07 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Originally Posted by ScottyMcGee View Post
Instead, I want to have parallel universes. And then I had this insane idea:

The characters from this mature version would actually meet the characters from the kid version of the story I wrote years ago. This shit just got hella meta. The characters from the silly parallel universe exist in a universe that is more cartoony and thus nonsensical, since it was created by a nonsensical God (aka me as a kid).

I don't even know what I want the bad guys to be doing. I already introduced them in the first story but their motives were unclear. Right now it's assumed that they're actually cataloguing the different parallel universe versions of the protagonists and hoping to discover some cosmic principle to do. . some. . .shit. . .I don't know. . I don't FUCKING KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. WHAT ARE THEY DOING? I DONT KNOW. SOME SCIENCE SHIT
Ha, I think this is a funny idea, but I wonder how it would translate into writing - did you try writing the different versions of the characters in different styles? How do we know the parallel universe thing is happening? All I can imagine is Spock's beard from the parallel universe episode in the original Star Trek series. Thought I guess that's pretty apt if the kid versions of the characters are meeting the grown up versions - do the grown up versions all have parallel universe beards and belly shirts?

Ok, goofyness aside. I think there would be a bunch of cool ways to show this in writing and I'm excited to know how you're thinking about it.

How'd you guys do at the end of NaNo? Anybody got some novel-ish stuff or short stories they're continuing?
Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Well, I wrote around 35k of a novel, 13k for a novella, and about 5k for a short story, so I didn't technically win, but I did a lot of writing this month and that's what counts.