Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 09-13-2015, 01:30 PM View Post #1 (Link) NaNoWriMo 2015!
sofiathewriter (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
Is anyone doing NaNo this year? I've been playing around with the idea, and I have a few solid novel plans, so I think I might do it this year. So excited!
Old 09-13-2015, 03:27 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
Yep. I've had a story I've wanted to write for a long time simmering in my head for about two years, so I think now's a good time to have a shot at it. Not going for 50k though, because I much prefer less stress and material I can actually use at the end of it.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:59 PM View Post #3 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
Drat! I wanted to make the NaNoWriMo 2015 thread!

I'm doing it this year. So far I'm 2 for 2. Technically 3 because this past May I did my own personal NaNoWriMo on my own time and succeeded.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:38 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
I've been thinking about doing an additional NaPo this year, and trying to write a poem a day while everyone else is doing NaNoWriMo in November (I usually do NaPo with the rest of the world every April). I might aim for something more cohesive than usual - I'm thinking a collection of blues poems.
Old 10-10-2015, 01:42 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

-Signal boost!-

For anyone who doesn't know what NaNoWriMo is, it's National Novel Writing Month. It's a month-long challenge where you're challenged to write a 50k novel in one month. The site's pretty cool and has loads of resources and fun things.

If you're seventeen or under and are thinking this sounds insane, and have never done Nano before, I also recommend looking at the Young Writers Programme, which is run by Nano but for younger folk. You can assign yourself your own goal on there so it's a great place to start out before you go for the adult wordcount. We've been doing it here for a long time so if you have any questions, please ask!

We will also hopefully have the chatroom functioning by November (it's working right now, just needs some fiddling with on the moderating end of things), and we will be running word wars! These are like timed races to see who can write the most in 10/15/20 minutes (which also helps that wordcount go up and stop you being distracted).

I'm very looking forward to this year.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:39 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
Yay NaNo!
lessthanamonthaway

So far I've done NaNo two years, and while I've written more than I ever have at once and ended up with my longest ever draft of my story, I still haven't won. I'm excited for this year, busy as I may be.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:43 PM View Post #7 (Link)
RockerBunny (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 29
I was thinking of trying it this year (my first time). But, I don't know if I'll be able to complete 50,000 words, especially since the end of November might get a little hectic for me. I was wondering if I do end up doing the NaNoWriMo this year, would it be fine if I can't complete 50,000 words in time?

Request a critique via VM/PM and I'll get to it as soon as possible.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:09 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Originally Posted by RockerBunny View Post
I was thinking of trying it this year (my first time). But, I don't know if I'll be able to complete 50,000 words, especially since the end of November might get a little hectic for me. I was wondering if I do end up doing the NaNoWriMo this year, would it be fine if I can't complete 50,000 words in time?
Course it is! I'm not even aiming for 50k, my goal is 30. It's your writing, your time, and your novel, so do it however you like.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:23 AM View Post #9 (Link)
Lizzie (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 41
Word wars are my crack. I really love them. I'm so stoked for chatroom-warring.

Critiques upon request.

Twins with Lykaios.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:23 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I'm gonna try again this year. I actually have something in mind, and I have just enough time to finish fleshing some things out before I get started.