Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-06-2015, 08:31 PM View Post #1 (Link) Should Cigarettes and E-Cigs be made?
Softballgirl333 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 5
See today in health and Wellness we has a test and then started the Drugs and Alchohol unit. I did the article on E-Cigarettes.

So apparently E-Cigs are better for you when they are still bad.

So my question is should Cigarettes and E-Cigs still be made. Everyone knows they can be delay and very bad for you. Yet the government still let's Marlboro and other companies make them???

~Anonymous~
Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 PM View Post #2 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
The alternative is for the government to step in and shut down an enormous industry, denying cigarettes to the thousands of people who want/need them, because the gov. has decided that they should not have them. Do you want a government that can make that decision for its citizens?

But again, it's not just, "should the government be able to decide"; they have for lots of things. Consider that shutting down the tobacco industry would be a very unpopular move. Thousands of people smoke. Many more, whether they smoke or not, would feel that the government should not be able to make that decision for its citizens. In America, I think that any move to completely shut down the tobacco industry would result in major backlash. Do you want a government that can ignore the will of its people so completely? Do you want a government that can ban any product based on its own views of what people "should" do?

It's obvious that cigarettes are horrible for you-- more so than marijuana, certainly-- and the trajectories of science and public opinion indicate that cigs will decrease in popularity and possibly eventually be banned. But the trajectory of public opinion must allow for that, not a government mandate right here and now.

Last edited by lalodragon; 04-06-2015 at 09:10 PM.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 PM View Post #3 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
There's no benefit on having cigarettes or electronic cigarettes stick around any longer than they already are in my opinion. They both use Tobacco but in a different way. Its pollution is hazardous for the environment, people, and ozone layer. I could go into specifics for each being affected, but you get the picture, right? So, in short, no, I don't think they should continue being made.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.

Last edited by GeonamicWarrior; 04-06-2015 at 09:09 PM.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:14 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Scholarly Apprentice

Same here but e-cigs don't supposedly hVe tobacco in them. They still have nicotine in them tho. Nicotine is what makes cigarettes so addictive

~Anonymous~
Old 04-06-2015, 09:20 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Aspiring Author

Originally Posted by Softballgirl333 View Post
Same here but e-cigs don't supposedly hVe tobacco in them. They still have nicotine in them tho. Nicotine is what makes cigarettes so addictive
Oh, that's news to me although I knew there was still something hazardous in those electronic cigarettes anyway. Thanks for clearing that up.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Scholarly Apprentice

See my great aunt uses e cigs but not the vapor that comes with it. She makes her own vapor that isn't hazardous at all. It actually has so,me vegetable stuff she grows, no nicotine or anything!

~Anonymous~
Old 04-06-2015, 09:41 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Aspiring Author

Originally Posted by Softballgirl333 View Post
See my great aunt uses e cigs but not the vapor that comes with it. She makes her own vapor that isn't hazardous at all. It actually has so,me vegetable stuff she grows, no nicotine or anything!
Even if the problem isn't with one individual, I doubt many others will follow even if told that it'd be better for them. It's best to remove the source entirely in my opinion.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:44 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Scholarly Apprentice

Same here's just ban them or make the makers of e cigs and tobacco take nicotine out of the equation. That's exactly why people smoke. It's addictive!!! (So I've heard) if they take the addiction outta the equation then it wouldn't be a big problem.

~Anonymous~
Old 04-06-2015, 09:44 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Scholarly Apprentice

Geo are you of like right now bc your not showing up in my users on thingy section.

~Anonymous~
Old 04-06-2015, 09:44 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I'd rather people switch to e cigs, personally, just because I hate second-hand smoke. Back when my asthma was bad I used to get worried that I'd break into a huge coughing fit because someone couldn't be bothered to smoke somewhere that wasn't near my face.

You can't really outlaw cigarettes or tobacco products, though. They tried doing that with alcohol in the 20's, and it didn't stop people from drinking and allowed the mafia to grow fairly powerful through bootlegging and smuggling.