Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-10-2015, 02:47 PM View Post #1 (Link) Should schools be allowed to sell soda?
Write_Live_Read (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 13
As a part of an English assignment we were given a chance to research and write an persuasive speech on wither schools should be allowed to sell soda. For most of my peers their answer was no, calming that students are becoming rapidly obese. However in my opinion, I think that schools should be allowed to sell soda o students, the reasoning behind it is; that a soda doesn't make a child obese, obesity in children is more of the lack of responsibility form the parents. If a child's parent were to encourage their child to eat healthier and exercise instead of sitting around on their electronics, then there wouldn't be so many obese children.

So my question for you is 'should soda be allowed in schools' and why or why not?

"I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and only reading it once"
-C.S. Lewis

"Reality continues to ruin my life"
-Bill Watterson

Thank you for reading, Good luck and continue writing.-Write_Live_Read
Old 04-10-2015, 06:55 PM View Post #2 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
This is a tough subject to answer generally, so prepare for an in-depth answer!

In private kindergartens, elementary schools, junior high schools, and high schools, I would say schools are fine with selling soda because I would assume any parent who would send their children to a private school would check what the school has to offer in terms of food and would decide whether or not to have their children be influenced by the supply of soda if there was any. The reason why I say "influence" instead of "discipline" is because children, compared to matured adults, are generally more influenced when their actions aren't consciously known by others. For example, if there was a bowl of one-hundred free candy bars in a room, one child and parent, and a sign that said anyone can take one candy bar per day, I bet the child would take another bar when the parents were out of the room for something, like a phone call. I'm not saying all children are naughty, of course. It's just in a general term, I'm sure there are some who will be tempted to not follow instructions, or discipline in the soda supplied scenario, for their own benefit. In short, private schools should be allowed to sell soda since it's the parents' responsibility to call the shots if their children should even go there to begin with because of that.

In public kindergartens, elementary schools, junior high schools, and high schools, I think they should not sell soda because being the public service they are, they should attempt to teach a lesson in good health by not allowing a supply of unhealthy food to say otherwise.

In community colleges, four-year colleges and universities, and any private colleges and universities, I believe it's fine to sell soda to students because it's the students who are now responsible for their own health at that age, even if not all students have matured completely in their pre-frontal cortex region of the brain to lessen the possibility of impulsively purchasing soda.

I can't really speak for any schools that are subjected to only taking in students of a certain religion since I'm not aware of how that would affect the stimulus of soda, so I'll refrain from answering if that type of school should sell soda.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:01 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
I actually think schools shouldn't sell soda. If school is there to provide you with an education, then they should be providing you with meals that will adequately facilitate that education. Soda, candy, and other processed sweets aren't good for your brain and your focus. If you're having lunch at 11:00 or 11:30 AM and you finish school between 2 and 3 PM, then eating junk isn't going to help you get through the rest of the day.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:38 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Write_Live_Read (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 13
Both of you guys make up good points, however for one; GeonamicWarrior, your argument that private schools should sell soda and public shouldn't seems like weird to me. I can't understand really what the difference is with a private school selling soda and a public school selling soda, like ok I get that at a private school the parents would know more about what is being provided for their child but I think that if a parent really want's to know they could figure out what is being served at a school. (Or they just don't have to provide money for those extra things like soda and candy.)

For example, my school provides regular lunch, which is paid with money on your school ID however they have something like a student store where they provide things like; soda (only diet), Arizona Tea, Gatorade, and a few other drinks. The thing is you can't use your normal ID lunch money at the school store, you have to pay in cash and it costs $1.50 for a soda. (To be quite frank, I probably buy a soda at least once a week) So in my opinion, I don't think that it matters if it is a public school or private school. (if you see what I mean)

Let me try to explain my argument better:

In short, private schools should be allowed to sell soda since it's the parents' responsibility to call the shots if their children should even go there to begin with because of that.

In public kindergartens, elementary schools, junior high schools, and high schools, I think they should not sell soda because being the public service they are, they should attempt to teach a lesson in good health by not allowing a supply of unhealthy food to say otherwise.
----If a public school can't sell soda because parents may not know and that they should set a healthy eating example then why shouldn't private schools? Yes parents may know that so call private school sells soda, but shouldn't they too set a good example of healthy eating? Basically I don't believe it matters if the school is private or not. If a schools decides to sell soda then I think that it is the choice of both the student (if they buy it) and parent (if they want to provide the funds).

Anyway, again you both have good arguments here (I hope I didn't offend you GeonamicWarrior) it was good to hear your opinions.

"I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and only reading it once"
-C.S. Lewis

"Reality continues to ruin my life"
-Bill Watterson

Thank you for reading, Good luck and continue writing.-Write_Live_Read
Old 04-11-2015, 01:15 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Softballgirl333 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 5
Originally Posted by Dabs View Post
I actually think schools shouldn't sell soda. If school is there to provide you with an education, then they should be providing you with meals that will adequately facilitate that education. Soda, candy, and other processed sweets aren't good for your brain and your focus. If you're having lunch at 11:00 or 11:30 AM and you finish school between 2 and 3 PM, then eating junk isn't going to help you get through the rest of the day.
Ditto

~Anonymous~
Old 04-11-2015, 02:11 AM View Post #6 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
-To Write_Read_Live: I wasn't offended, but thanks for apologizing. I guess for one big difference I would see between private and public schools is that the government doesn't put as much pressure on health standards in private schools as they do in public schools, so I thought that it'd be ok for private schools to sell soda. However, your argument with students and parents' responsibilities do prove a valid point. I guess I was looking for a more governing explanation since taking away a large bit of merchandise could be critical for economy, even if it's only from schools, but as the compromise I pointed out in my initial comment, I think it'd be better than simply removing soda entirely from all schools.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:15 AM View Post #7 (Link)
han123 (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 42
I think it's okay in high schools because the students are the ones responsible for buying the soda.

And I know I really love being able to buy a can of coke on a hot day at school
In Primary schools, no. I think they should choose healthier options for younger kids.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:28 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Stephanoborg (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 3
I believe that they should. But I mean It's up to the individual school itself.

My Political Instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/usa_ohio_conservative/
Old 04-18-2015, 02:34 AM View Post #9 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Originally Posted by Stephanoborg View Post
I believe that they should. But I mean It's up to the individual school itself.
Depending on what kind of school we're talking here, it's probably up to the school board as a whole to arrange a contract with a soda company (It's not like someone from the school just goes and buys a couple cases of pop and fills the vending machines or something--someone has to contact either Coke or Pepsi co. to arrange for deliveries, and usually that's the company that brings in and maintains the vending machines. But this is beyond the point.) and school boards are largely at the whims of politics and angry parents.

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:00 PM View Post #10 (Link)
noah_arnold11 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
I do not see why it should be a problem. Pepsi, Coke, Mountain dew, any every other soda in production does not make a human being overweight.It's like alcohol. You can enjoy a glass of wine without being an alcoholic. You can enjoy a soda without being obese. It's as simple as that. You just need to have common sense, self-control, and a realization of doing things in moderation.