Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 08-13-2014, 11:36 PM View Post #1 (Link) Signature/Avatar pic size
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
This is my first and probably only time on this part of the forum complaining about something. I don't know if this has ever been brought up or asked, but I double checked.

Why the hell are there so many strict rules on the file size and image dimensions on avatars and signature pictures?

It pisses the heck out of me when I try to resize it to fit the dimensions then I realize the file size is still too big and then I can't use anything I like. Are we just worried that too many people would upload blinding animated gifs and images? Is there some limit we don't want to hit or something when it comes to virtual memory? I have no idea the reasoning behind the restrictions but I'm just saying - it's annoying as hell.

(Not so much the avatar pic, but the sig pic restrictions tick me off the most)
Old 08-14-2014, 01:28 AM View Post #2 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
There was a recent update that made it ever so much worse-- before, the site had some resizing of its own, no? I would post big profile pictures and they were displayed smaller.
Profile picture is the most annoying for me b/c anything that fits is unreadable, and it used to be so much bigger.

I find avs now by (a) googling what I want with image restrictions set to an exact size or (b) creating a little 100x100 window in the picture I want to use and finding the best.

Sad.