Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-11-2014, 11:58 PM View Post #1 (Link) Death [From Gaia We are, and to Gaia We Return]
Rose (Offline)
Crit Trash Collector

Times Thanked: 454
This is a last-summer project I did using coloring pencils. I'm thinking about turning this into a full series of drawings under this one theme. Comments and critiques are much appreciated, whether here on YWO or on DeviantArt. I'd like to see how you guys interpret this. Do you really see it as death? Or does it resemble something else for you? Try to ignore the title for a moment, and just look at it from your own perspective.

Here you go:

Spoiler:

Thanks in advance to whoever replies :3

Old 07-16-2014, 08:06 AM View Post #2 (Link)
DFTSUNAMI (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
I love this piece and how deep its meaning apears to me. I have one complaint (a small one). I feel like you could have shown more symbolism if the background was filled in. Maybe have her surrounded by decaying flowers or encroaching machines. You know, to show greater conflict and give the veiwer hints as to why she is in that state (just an idea). Other than that, it is a very well done piece.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:24 AM View Post #3 (Link)
renai (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 6
Rose! This is absolutely gorgeous. I honestly think that outside of a museum, this is one of the best works of art I've ever seen.

The lighting and choice of colours, which remind me of Rembrant somewhat, are fantastic. I personally love that you contrasted her cream skin tone with with mostly shades of red/orange and blue as the flowers and butterflies. The slight white glow at her face, to me, clearly signifies her death.

Which brings me to my next statement:I've never seen death portrayed so beautifully. I really really love your secondary title: From Gaia We are, and to Gaia We Return. I particularly appreciated you using Gaia, because I love Greek Mythology so much, and I think that it the perfect title for your image of death.

I think most people fear death because we cannot have enough knowledge about it. Thus, I think humans tend to "demonize" it somewhat, just because of how little we know.
This shows death in a new perspective. The girl/woman has her arms crossed, almost as in a blessing, but she is not shying away from death. She doesn't push death away, it's almost as though she has calmly accepted it.

My one possible critique is similar to DFTSUNAMI, but not quite the same. I understand why the entire background is dark, so that it focuses on the front picture. However, I think that it was uniformly so dark, that it did bring my eye to the back. My suggestion wouldn't be to add any one thing to the background, but to soften it up a bit, or use some shading to make it barely lighter at the top than at the bottom, perhaps.

In the end, your piece is fabulous and I'm now off to see if I can find more of your art!
Old 07-20-2014, 08:05 PM View Post #4 (Link) Great drawing, but. . .
sofiathewriter (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 8
I love this piece. It is very beautiful and well-drawn. Iím not kidding or saying it in a mocking way.

But I agree with the first commenter. It would be even more beautiful if you added more detail in the background. Maybe something to emphasize on the title. Also, if this is for teenagers and stuff, youíre fine, but if this is viewed towards younger kids (most likely not but Iím just saying), maybe put some clothes on her? Again, if this is done for the viewing pleasure of mature adolescents, you need not put any clothes on her.

Keep on drawing in the future; you look like a promising artist.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:56 AM View Post #5 (Link)
han123 (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 42
know nothing about art, but here is what I think:

At first glance, no, it doesn't look exactly like death. However, when I saw the title and then looked at the picture it made me think of heaven.
I think this is because of the bright colours and also the facial expression. Overall I think it is very interesting and even though other people have said this, I'll say it again, it is absolutely beautiful. A fine piece of art.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:35 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Pineappleinshades (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 9
I love this, just like everyone else who has critiqued it. It is, truly, beautiful.

However, I have a couple of points. One is about the background. People have said they want to see it filled in with detail. I completely disagree. That would distract the viewer from the beauty and detail of the woman, so I think you should leave the background as it is, solid blackness.

Oh, and another thing I disagree with those above is the idea of clothing her. She seems so natural and perfect as she is, and younger children need to be shown that. I don't understand why for younger children to enjoy the piece she would have to be clothed. It's not even like anything is showing. The human body is an incredible thing, which is why we can explore it through art. I think you captured this well.

About the actual piece: I'm not sure about one of the hands. The one on top that we can see fully is perfect (I think) but the one underneath it seems slightly the wrong shape. What I can see of the pinkie finger seems a little too long, but I don't know if that's just me.

The shading between the arms I think is too dark. I know it needs to be darker than the rest of her skin to show the shadows, but to me, it looks too dark, and therefore out of place. It just drew my eyes to it and I didn't think that's what you would want because your viewers need to take in the piece as a whole before looking at the (beautifully drawn) detail. I do like the way you have captured the light on her skin though, that works really well.

Now, that's all I have by way of critique. I would also like to say, however, that to me, it doesn't suggest death at first glance, because, as somebody above said, it is portrayed so beautifully. I can see how it could show death, by her expression and hands clawing at her neck, and the darkness of the background, but that just isn't how it seems to me for some reason.

Plus, you did all this in colouring pencils? Jeez, I'm kind of scared to critique you. This is a really great piece, and I think you are a really good artist, especially when it comes to minute detail, which you have drawn and coloured wonderfully.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:34 AM View Post #7 (Link)
GeonamicWarrior (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 16
I'm not going to lie: I'm surprised this was done with color pencils alone. It must have taken a lot of work to make something like this. You did an amazing job on the lighting and shading. I can see why some people may think of this as death because a dead body can be used as nutrients for other wildlife to prosper as twisted to morals as that may sound. However, I think more along the lines of suffering here because the person-like being isn't limp since its hands are reaching up to the throat. It's almost as if it wants to rid itself of the parasites that have taken hold of its body/soul. The tendrils from above suggest that the source is exterior to the body, which is why I choose "parasite" instead of something like "inner conflict." I'm sure you know of this, but just like all critiques of art, it's biased to what the critiquer perceives, so please don't misunderstand what I said.

My compilation of all the great guides, Guides' Gate, for those in need of help or review with critiques, grammar, spelling, and other advice.

"These hands of mine glow with an awesome power! Their burning grips tell me to write. Take this! My love, my anger, and all of my sorrow! SHINING FINGERS! Go, go! Go, go! Go, go!" -derived from G Gundam's Shining Finger attack quote.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:16 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Oindrila2014 (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
This is a last-summer project I did using coloring pencils. I'm thinking about turning this into a full series of drawings under this one theme. Comments and critiques are much appreciated, whether here on YWO or on DeviantArt. I'd like to see how you guys interpret this. Do you really see it as death? Or does it resemble something else for you? Try to ignore the title for a moment, and just look at it from your own perspective.

Here you go:

Spoiler:

Thanks in advance to whoever replies :3
I like the piece.. it's really wonderful.. color effects,features......are totally cool.. u r really a good artist
Old 06-08-2015, 03:00 AM View Post #9 (Link)
Raven72 (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 0
I really liked it, but I don't understand the title.Where is the Gaia part? The flowers? I would call it something else.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:20 PM View Post #10 (Link)
pegasus (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 1
I absolutely love this! I love how realistic and beautifully detailed the drawing is and it really reminds of the artist marco mazzoni.
For me I see a person that is depressed and is desperate to end his life, but is held back from doing so by little things he still holds on to. But that's just my interpretation.
Also, the backround in my opinion really fits the drawing because it doesn't distract from all the details, but as Renai said- I would suggest to soften up the backround a bit.
Other than that this is a stunning work of art!