Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 PM View Post #21 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
I used to critique younger/newer members, but they just leave. I stopped because I was probably scaring them away.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:29 PM View Post #22 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Derezzination View Post
I used to critique younger/newer members, but they just leave. I stopped because I was probably scaring them away.
You should wait until they've been proven. You are pure evil.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM View Post #23 (Link)
myjaspercat (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 7
Originally Posted by lalodragon View Post
You should wait until they've been proven. You are pure evil.
Proven what? That they can take hard critiques well? Sometimes a writer will get hurt, it happens to everyone, at least once. If that writer leaves after get hurt then that is their choice to be babied. There is no use to wait until they are 'proven'.

"Life is the art of Drawing... without an eraser."

"So come with me where Dreamers are born and Time is never planned, Just think of happy things, And your heart will fly on wings, in Never Never Land."-Peter Pan

"Someday I will fly high above the tree tops, covered in a painted cloak and I will look down on the world below and know that I have found my purpose."
Old 05-28-2014, 04:50 PM View Post #24 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
For me, I apparently have the attention span of a gnat. I get so excited. I'll read a whole bunch and critique a lot or else really get posting, and then I-- get distracted or something happens that discourages me and then that's it for a while.

What this means is having some sort of critique day would be very helpful to me-- but it's a lot less about the rewards or whatever as it is about the hype and novelty that something different/new/interesting is going on.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:53 PM View Post #25 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by myjaspercat View Post
Proven what? That they can take hard critiques well? Sometimes a writer will get hurt, it happens to everyone, at least once. If that writer leaves after get hurt then that is their choice to be babied. There is no use to wait until they are 'proven'.
I don't know if you've been critted by Drezz? Trust me on this one. He shouldn't be the first crit a new writer gets.
I agree with you. But some people are more sensitive, and some people are nervous about this whole thing to begin with. My first crits here made me realize everything was wrong with my writing, but they were kind, made me eager to do better; if I got a soul-shriveling critique at first I might've been too scared to try again. (And I think I'm relatively insensitive.)

Originally Posted by Keladry View Post
For me, I apparently have the attention span of a gnat. I get so excited. I'll read a whole bunch and critique a lot or else really get posting, and then I-- get distracted or something happens that discourages me and then that's it for a while.

What this means is having some sort of critique day would be very helpful to me-- but it's a lot less about the rewards or whatever as it is about the hype and novelty that something different/new/interesting is going on.
Let's have a day then! I don't think we need to bother Shaun about closing the forums. I think we just need a drive!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:19 PM View Post #26 (Link)
myjaspercat (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 7
Well, all of your points are really good. And I think that it all boils to we should have a day dedicated to just critiquing. However I think that forums should be closed so we aren't getting even more works to critique.

"Life is the art of Drawing... without an eraser."

"So come with me where Dreamers are born and Time is never planned, Just think of happy things, And your heart will fly on wings, in Never Never Land."-Peter Pan

"Someday I will fly high above the tree tops, covered in a painted cloak and I will look down on the world below and know that I have found my purpose."
Old 05-28-2014, 07:09 PM View Post #27 (Link)
Wig (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 102
Originally Posted by myjaspercat View Post
Well, all of your points are really good. And I think that it all boils to we should have a day dedicated to just critiquing. However I think that forums should be closed so we aren't getting even more works to critique.
Which is what your first post says but okay.

Anyway, I really don't think we'd benefit from closing forums - it's only one day, and the traffic recently means that we can go for a few days without any work being posted. If we're going to have a day of critiquing then the staff are going to have to look at the pros and cons, because there have been a number of good points raised here (mainly the stuff about older members because we suck), before we commit to it.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 PM View Post #28 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Originally Posted by Wig View Post
Which is what your first post says but okay.

Anyway, I really don't think we'd benefit from closing forums - it's only one day, and the traffic recently means that we can go for a few days without any work being posted. If we're going to have a day of critiquing then the staff are going to have to look at the pros and cons, because there have been a number of good points raised here (mainly the stuff about older members because we suck), before we commit to it.
call me an anarchist but I'm not sure why we need staff approval to unleash a crit day. Unless people were giving crappy crits that needed mods; but surely no one will do that.
Traffic isn't high enough to bother closing forums.
So I propose the first Sunday of June. Rally the troops, launch a crit brigade, see what we can do.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:25 PM View Post #29 (Link)
Wig (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 102
call me an anarchist but I'm not sure why we need staff approval to unleash a crit day. Unless people were giving crappy crits that needed mods; but surely no one will do that.
So I propose the first Sunday of June. Rally the troops, launch a crit brigade, see what we can do.
True, unless we were closing the forums, then I guess we would. (Fight the power, just not me because I can't deal with confrontation).
Old 05-29-2014, 04:23 AM View Post #30 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
So, this coming Sunday? I'd be down for that! Also you all don't need mods to organize an event that's within forum rules, but I hope we're welcome to participate.

I think it could be fun to periodically arrange days amongst ourselves as "crit drives", a day when a bunch of people are on critiquing work, posting, and discussing stuff in an attempt to get a little more movement into the forum. Those might be good days to post new work, as well - I'm more inclined to post work when people are critiquing, and more inclined to critique when there's new work to look at that hasn't gotten a bunch of comments yet.

I haven't been critiquing as much lately because I mostly do poetry and those forums have been pretty quiet for the last little bit. And I'm still working through the NaPo forums and contest.

It might be worth thinking about ways to get the forum to be more active in general. What kind of stuff would prompt all of you to critique? To post more work, or work in progress?