Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 05-07-2014, 10:27 PM View Post #1 (Link) The Definition of Love
2sh4r (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 21
Today in English class, two girls got into a debate over the meaning of love, which I found absurd, because (of course) love has no definitive meaning.

We were discussing Twilight Zone's adaptation of John Collier's The Chaser, in which a boy buys a love potion to get a girl to love him and later realizes that love cannot be bought. What he bought was absolute devotion, which is, as it turns out, really annoying.

One girl complained that the story misrepresented love. She claimed the boy had found true love, and the seller of the potion had simply lied about the potion's results. The potion, she said, didn't make the person love you, it just made the person annoying. In response, the other girl argued that the boy was willing to harm the woman, even warp her personality, so his love was false.

Both arguments, in my opinion, are crazy. Love comes in many different forms, many of which can be abusive. According to my own personal philosophy, "love" is impossible to define because of how little we understand our own emotions, and how much love can vary from situation to situation.

What, according to you guys, is the definition of "true" love?
Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Boy, how does one even begin talking about this? To me love can't be defined in that it, as a definition, can't be articulated. I know what love is intuitively, and I know what a love-based action looks like, generally speaking.

I can't imagine how this could even be argued.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:43 PM View Post #3 (Link)
2sh4r (Offline)
Global Moderator

Thats true, but you can't look at a relationship and say, "he doesn't love her" or "he really loves her", without really understanding him/her.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 PM View Post #4 (Link)
2sh4r (Offline)
Global Moderator

Also, may I ask without intending to be rude, how do you know what love feels like?

According to your profile, you're only twenty-one-years old. There's no way you've experienced all the possible forms of love. Or even enough of them to gather a general sense of what "love" as a general term is.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:58 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Originally Posted by 2sh4r View Post

What, according to you guys, is the definition of "true" love?
I'm probably not going to get very involved in this debate because I can see it going around in circles forever, but I take issue with the term "true love".

This is pretty much how I feel about "true love":

(Click for context)

ETA: Unlike Don I'm not talking about all love here ... just "true love", which feels like a marketing tool and a tool of control more than it does an emotion that we all experience.

Last edited by Isis; 05-08-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:30 AM View Post #6 (Link)
2sh4r (Offline)
Global Moderator

Isis, I agree.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:36 AM View Post #7 (Link)
sbenzing (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 48
Jeeze this is really hard. I agree with dabs. How can we even start? I can take a guess that none of us have been loved perfectly, whether by parents or significcant others or friends. And on top of a lack of perfect love its unnderstood that everyone has a different view of love. Most of this is based off our childhoods and all is based off our experiences with "true love" Some see love as pain and refuse to love. Some see it as pain but accept it anyways. Some see it as bliss etc. etc. So theres just a lot of different views of love.

Is dedication love? No, dediccation comes from being loved by somebody. Love is the driving force behing dedication. I think true love is decided by each person. And love requires faith. Faith that their love is true and honest

If you wish me to critique your poetry or prose just PM/VM me.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:35 AM View Post #8 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Originally Posted by 2sh4r View Post
Also, may I ask without intending to be rude, how do you know what love feels like?

According to your profile, you're only twenty-one-years old. There's no way you've experienced all the possible forms of love. Or even enough of them to gather a general sense of what "love" as a general term is.
22 years old.

This is actually rude regardless of your intent. Part of me doesn't want to dignify this with an answer, but I'll do it anyway and then exclude myself from the rest of this debate.

How do I know what love feels like? I am in love with someone. That's how I know. There is no logic you can use to combat this; there is nothing you can say to make me believe otherwise. You are not living my life. You can't know what I feel, regardless of whatever silly, useless method you believe adequately gauges someone else's emotional experience. Now, please refrain from invalidating my or anyone else's emotional experiences from here on out or else I'll close this thread.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:49 AM View Post #9 (Link)
sbenzing (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 48
Yeah I kind of cringed when I heard that one.

If you wish me to critique your poetry or prose just PM/VM me.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:17 AM View Post #10 (Link)
lostbookworm (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 96
Jesus, everyone gets offended so easily on here now. You say one thing and they turn.

But yeah, 2sh4r, what you posted makes no sense. I'm only 17 and I know what love is like. Why? Because I've been in love. Admittedly, love is a subjective feeling and not everyone may hold the same views upon it as me, as we all feel love differently. Age is not a factor in love, though.

I would agree with Isis that true love doesn't exist, it's all about compatibility. I agree that there may be 2 or 3 people you meet in life who you will love more deeply than the rest, but that's sheer probability. No-one is made for another.

For me, love is a passionate emotion. The subject of love becomes your world, your universe - everything pivots around them. Your entire mind and body are consumed by love, nothing else matters. It often causes pain, but that pain is pleasurable. As Kafka put it, “Should I be grateful or should I curse the fact that despite all misfortune I can still feel love, an unearthly love but still for earthly objects.” It cannot be subjected to logic.

Love, however, is formed off a single, emotional basis. It is not vague, as it all leads to the same thing - either sacrifice or sex.

Last edited by lostbookworm; 05-08-2014 at 08:20 AM.