Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM View Post #1 (Link) Safe Stories?
Chrissy Noelle (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 5
I think that stories people post (no matter where they are) should have summaries, or maybe a rating system. Some stories are kind of dark for certain people to read.This would be easier for everybody because we all have story limits, and we don't just want to dive into a story that our parents would say are not good for us to read. I really think that this would be very helpful and keep a lot of people out of trouble with their parents and stories.

Please tell me what you think!

Thanks,
Chrissy Noelle

Dance as if no one is watching
Love as if you have never loved before
Sing as if no one can hear you
Live as if Heaven is on the Earth

-Unknown

I'm Chrissy Noelle (AKA THE CRAZY GUINEA PIG LADY),
SO Guinea Pigs ROCK!!!!!

Last edited by Chrissy Noelle; 03-09-2014 at 04:35 PM.

Reason: Change to better explanation
Old 03-09-2014, 08:00 PM View Post #2 (Link)
AdrenalinJunkie (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 20
I'm not sure- on the one hand, a lot of teenage books have very odd things in them that I really don't want to read about and they certainly don't have ratings on them. Also, I think accidentally reading bad books and learning how to skip chapters has helped me( for one thing it's made me very good at zoning out in maths class ) I dunno, I haven't really come across any books here that need ratings- maybe give an example?
I don't really think we need ratings because at the very least, you can always skim down and check this falls into your opinion of apropriate, but I guess it depends on the kind of stuff your parents don't like you reading. If it's affecting a lot of the stuff you read here, maybe it's a good idea. sorry, I hope this helped.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:05 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Pony123 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
I agree. I'm not that old myself, and I've seen some 10 year olds on here. If I were their parent I wouldn't want to have them reading some stuff.

Wind in My Face
Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
You do know you can report posts if they offend you?

Also, it is advised to put tags before stories if they're especially 'adult' but most of us are just mature enough to be fine with that content.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:15 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Dabs (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 151
Some people already put those warnings in their stories. But, if you see something you don't like you are entitled to report it or, alternatively, just stop reading the story. That said, it may not be such a bad idea to implement some kind of ratings system. I've seen it utilized on other sites to no one's harm.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:18 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Raconteur (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 142
People always treat literature so unfairly.

Surrounding you, everywhere, are things that are explicit and dark in nature. Your favourite TV shows, advertisements, people on the street: all things that are so much harder to ignore than something less visually stimulating, like writing.

Exposure to this is not unnatural. There is something that indicates maturity, immediately, when you join a site like this: if you are going to be writing, relaying your real life and manipulating it to put in a story, then you probably have some sense of how to interpret the world. I think at that point, censorship and warning labels become a hinderance. People who have to tag their literature with some mode of censorship will feel a lack of freedom in writing, and the effect will be less honest writing overall.

I would understand your point if I saw very mature content on the website, things that feel uncomfortable, things that were really meant to stun you, things that capitalize on violence, or sexual content, etc. But if a story generally includes "censor-worthy" content, I tend to notice that it is content that is inherent to society. It is not meant solely to provoke, or to disgust, or to make you tremble: it is a portrayal of life.

If you link some stories to contextualize what you find as dark, or uncomfortable, I might be able to see what you mean better. But I have not read or seen anything that was meant to to ruin anyone's innocence as of yet. And if I have, that content has been quickly moderated.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
I wrote a very graphic short last year, my friends were disgusted but completely engrossed.

At 10 you can just as easily watch countless of Slasher films and be exposed to everything because the internet is everywhere - people just need to be less prudish and stop when they get uncomfortable because they aren't the audience.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 PM View Post #8 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Ah, Aly, I suppose you were right, in chat.

You're right again here. I don't want to have to label my writing as "bad for you", as this effectively would. Suppose I write about a relationship, and sex enters the picture: a label will shift the focus from "human interaction" to "sex scene". Movies are rated, and we've all heard how swear words are regulated to hit PG-13 regulations-- I want my writing to be honest, not self conscious (Lord knows it's enough of that).

I remember being sort of shocked when I got here (I was 12 and very sheltered-- and chat was riotous) but it didn't stop me. If I were still so sheltered, or even half as much, I would be paralyzed at school. So thanks, YWO, for decisively eliminating my innocence. It would've taken me a long time to get here without you.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:38 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Spacepirate (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 99
People who are tuned into intersectional and feminist discourses will know what trigger warnings are. I was actually reading a great article on whether people should use trigger warnings for literature, and indeed some colleges do. Indeed for Things Fall Apart they advocated having trigger warnings because: 'it may trigger readers who have experienced racism, colonialism, religious persecution, violence, suicide, and more.'

You can read the article here.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Raconteur (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 142
^ I read a similar article recently and agree. (esp with the point made: that triggers are unpredictable and individual)

and even despite that, I think the content on YWO does not have many obvious signs of what could be a trigger for someone. So I think this request is born from wanting to moderate completely normal, inoffensive, material because of the generality that it may not be suitable for audiences of a certain age (not because the content is in conversation with real, sensitive issues that serve as a trigger, but because some want to remain blissfully unaware these issues exist).

I am more sympathetic to the kind of warning labels in the article (though have a similar opinion as the writer). But I'm not too sympathetic to the don't read this because your parents might not want you to know bad things exist in the world type.