Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 PM View Post #1 (Link) November Spotlight Suggestions
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 240
Hello friends!

Once again, we're looking for the best works from short stories, novels, poetry and the two threadboxes (poetry and prose). We'd like to see 2-4 pieces from each section. Please don't suggest yourself, because you will be ignored.

So did you read something great that was posted last month? Get suggesting!

(P.S Please pay attention to the date the story was posted and make sure it was posted in November)

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:21 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
This

This

This

Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Pony123 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 9
Originally Posted by addictedtoreading View Post
Spoiler:
“I didn’t do it!” The man proclaimed. Even as the caged clock’s red hand, ticked mercilessly forward. “I didn’t do it.”

The guard finished strapping him to the gurney, exhausted after a long day’s work, grumbled, “that’s what they all say buddy.”

“Please! You gotta believe me!”

“You had your chance to plead your case five years ago, in front of a grand jury. If they didn’t believe you, then why should I?” The guard didn’t really know why he was talking to the criminal, but he supposed it had to do with the twelve hours of solitude he spent, guarding the future corpses that inhabited Texas’s Death Row.

The convict started contorting his head side to side, almost as if he had something in his brain that he wished to dispell. The guard cringed at the site, wondering why the guy hadn’t been sentenced to an insane asylum.

As the guard made to leave the room, he thought back to what he knew of the man. Sawyer Knob, convicted on three charges of murder, sentenced to death by lethal injection.

“You gotta believe me!” The man screeched again, causing the guard to freeze mid step. He had been working as an executioner for quite some time now, and it was rare when a convict begged for his life during the final hour. It wasn’t a job he was particularly proud of, but it kept his family fed. Though at times he wondered the point of Death Row, why not simply kill the criminals as soon as they were convicted? Why bother feeding them, and sheltering them when you were only going to kill them in the end. Like farmer’s who bred chicken. Though of course he supposed. Chicken did have a purpose. They could be eaten.

Maybe perhaps that was to be the sentence, chickens didn’t know they were to die while men did. Was that supposed to be their punishment, knowing an untimely death was imminent? That they were supposed to reflect on, and then dread the oncoming demise? But the guard had found that this was not the case. Many of the prisoners were quite pleased when they were sentenced. Glad they were not going to rot away in a prison for the rest of their lives, nor be drinking through a tube in an insane asylum. Death was freedom, freedom from whatever circumstances or hell that had pushed them to do the thing they did. Many believed that death would bring them a new chance, a new world to conquer. Death to a well organized mind after all, was simply the next big adventure, wasn’t it?

He shook his head, allowing the metal door to buzz shut behind him. Though the man’s unseemly screams could still be heard. This also puzzled the guard, for as long as he can remember, Sawyer had never made a peep. Lived in his own silent oblivion, crouched in the farthest corner of his cell. But this final hour, it had seemed that somebody had zapped the murderer with electrodes, jolting him back to reality. Like what? I only have an hour left to live? What the fuck!

The guard’s partner had arrived by the time he made it to the side door. The two stood silently, as the nurse was buzzed in, and began placing the intervenus needles in Sawyer’s scrawny arms.

This was the second thing that puzzled the guard, why the nurse always bothered to sanitize the site of injection. What did it matter that a few germs seeped into his bloodstream, if the man was to die anyway within a few minutes? What was the point of all this procedure? Perhaps he thought, that was the point. The point was to drag it out, exhibition it, sort of like, you’ll still die, but you’ll die the way we want you too.

The guard rubbed at his eyes, it had been much too long a day. Sawyer had killed people, three people, just because he acted like a helpless beggar now, didn’t change the fact. An eye for an eye they said.

“Come on.” His partner stunted him out of his thoughts, and he obediently followed him through the door. Nodding to the nurse as she exited.

His partner was an older man, meaty, and graying the only thing the guard knew about him, was that he was highly religious. The golden cross he wore loosely around his neck glinted in the blazing, harsh light.

The guard had always wondered how his partner had come to terms with his job. Wasn’t thou shalt not kill one of the commandments?

“Ready?” He asked, and his partner turned towards the thrashing Sawyer. Who was still pleading that he didn’t do it.

The guard himself wasn’t religious, but as he always did before he pressed the final button. The one that would release the poison into the convict’s blood, he thought back to a verse he had read once, Exodus 21: 23-25.

“But if there is harm, then you shall pay life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.”

It was this that always kept him going through those long bleak days guarding the damned. It assured him he was doing the right thing, ridding the world of evil. One execution at a time.

“Any final words, Sawyer?” He asked him, this was another thing that puzzled him. Why was it required to ask for a final statement? Why did it matter what he said? He could have cursed God, and it wouldn’t have made a difference. He had decided finally, that it was just another part of the exhibition.

Sawyer crooked his head and glared at him, dark eyes clouded and haunted, the needles making grotesque lumps under his skin.

“An eye for an eye,” he croaked, “will make the whole world blind.”

The guard froze, his finger brushing the button. But it didn’t matter anyways, his partner had pushed his and the poison plunged into Sawyer, causing his intense glare to darken, and flutter shut. Then, like an anchor in the ocean, the poison sunk him forcefully into the permanent darkness.

And for a moment the guard thought that perhaps Sawyer was right. That the world had gotten just a tad bit blinder. But then he quickly cancelled the thought from his mind, Sawyer was a murderer after all. He deserved his death, eye for an eye.

This

Wind in My Face

Old 12-06-2013, 06:30 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Pony, can you please post a link to the original thread?

Pro-tip: because my first instinct is to procrastinate anything I see as an obligation or responsibility, asking me for a critique is a good way to make sure I never give you a critique.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:17 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Rachael (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 35
Here are two that I enjoyed throughly, and admired the writing style very much.

Birth of a River Child - 2sh4r

The Only Cure - Infinity Man

Christianity

Soundcloud!

Google Plus

YouTube

Poetess Hannah Hebditch!!

Stumbling and falling is better than crawling ~ Rachael

Old 12-10-2013, 07:24 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Originally Posted by Rachael View Post
Here are two that I enjoyed throughly, and admired the writing style very much.

Birth of a River Child - 2sh4r
I was going to forgive the fact it was October 30th, because that's close enough, IMO, but it was in last month's Spotlight so I won't stroke 2sh4r's ego any further.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:28 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Rachael (Offline)
Literary Artist

Times Thanked: 35
Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
I was going to forgive the fact it was October 30th, because that's close enough, IMO, but it was in last month's Spotlight so I won't stroke 2sh4r's ego any further.
So does that mean, I put one with the wrong date yet again? I tried to be careful, and I really wanted to suggest this one. If I did do the wrong date you may annoy me somehow, cuz I annoyed you

Christianity

Soundcloud!

Google Plus

YouTube

Poetess Hannah Hebditch!!

Stumbling and falling is better than crawling ~ Rachael

Old 12-10-2013, 09:27 PM View Post #8 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
French poetry (I don't read french but I love the translation)
It is autumn now
My Friends Walk in Straight Lines
Prayer at Ziz river

Last edited by lalodragon; 12-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Infinity_Man (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Originally Posted by lalodragon View Post
French poetry (I don't read french but I love the translation)
It is autumn now
My Friends Walk in Straight Lines
Prayer at Ziz river
"My Friends Walk in Straight Lines" links back to "It is Autumn Now"

Old 12-11-2013, 12:57 PM View Post #10 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Originally Posted by Infinity_Man View Post
"My Friends Walk in Straight Lines" links back to "It is Autumn Now"
oops! fixed it.

Closed Thread