Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 PM View Post #21 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Fifty or more? Wow.
Well, let me do the math. I've got about 22 up right now, and that takes me about 2/5 of the way through the novel. Yeah, so maybe not fifty more, but eventually there would be more than fifty segments.

Okay, I'll see if I can make separate threads an optional thing. Maybe it could be something left to the writer's own tastes. But if it's possible, it WILL cost points to reply to your own stuff. It wouldn't be fair to let someone get 10 points and then post chapter after chapter in the same thread.
I was asking to make sure that that sort of thing didn't happen. Could you make the system specific enough to say that only replies more than a certain number of words cost points?

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:02 PM View Post #22 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Originally Posted by Carraka View Post
I was asking to make sure that that sort of thing didn't happen. Could you make the system specific enough to say that only replies more than a certain number of words cost points?
Oh, I see what you're getting at. You mean like brief replies? I don't know. That would involve a lot more work, and it would make things more confusing than just seeing how much it'll cost before you even start posting.

Are you thinking of something that can only be done in a reply that can't be done in a PM?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 PM View Post #23 (Link)
Starry (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 28
Oh, I see what you're getting at. You mean like brief replies? I don't know. That would involve a lot more work, and it would make things more confusing than just seeing how much it'll cost before you even start posting.

Are you thinking of something that can only be done in a reply that can't be done in a PM?
I think she means more along the lines of if you want to respond to something someone has said in a critique (asking them to clarify, etc) but you aren't posting a new segment, will that still cost points? I've done that once or twice, as no one has critted my most recent chapter yet (I have 14 chapters, and I've only posted 7 or 8! Come on people!)

Estara
Word Count: 49376/100000

~<3~
Old 07-10-2008, 11:39 PM View Post #24 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Yeah, I just mean really short replies. I'm not sure what could be done in a reply that couldn't be done in a PM. Once Shaun and Imelda started arguing about author intrusion in EC's thread, if that's a good example ...

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:41 PM View Post #25 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by starryskyes View Post
I think she means more along the lines of if you want to respond to something someone has said in a critique (asking them to clarify, etc) but you aren't posting a new segment, will that still cost points? I've done that once or twice, as no one has critted my most recent chapter yet (I have 14 chapters, and I've only posted 7 or 8! Come on people!)
I see what you mean. But what if the author has zero points, starts typing, then decides to post the next part in that post? They'll either have negative 10 points or zero, depending on whether we allow negatives or not. They either got away with not needing points, or they have negative points, which just gets extremely messy.

What if the person who critiqued your work doesn't come back to visit the thread? What if they only came to give one critique? They won't be able to clarify.

I think I may have a solution, though. What if there was a button which quoted a critique and put it in a PM to the critter, which you could then ask questions about. Would that work, in your opinion?

Last edited by Andy; 07-10-2008 at 11:47 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:44 PM View Post #26 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

I see what you mean. But what if the author has zero points, starts typing, then decides to post the next part in that post? They'll either have negative 10 points or zero, depending on whether we allow negatives or not. They either got away with not needing points, or they have negative points, which just gets extremely messy.

What if the person who critiqued your work doesn't come back to visit the thread? What if they only came to give one critique? They won't be able to clarify.

I think I may have a solution, though. What if there was a button which quoted a critique and put it in a PM to the critter, which you could then ask questions about. Would that work, in your opinion?
There's no point in having a button like that if you can just PM the critter. But if there was a button that allows you to respond specifically to the crit, that would work. And if you abuse it to post more ... -insert punishment here-?

Which could go from banning to locking the thread to deducting points, etc.

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:53 PM View Post #27 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carraka View Post
There's no point in having a button like that if you can just PM the critter. But if there was a button that allows you to respond specifically to the crit, that would work. And if you abuse it to post more ... -insert punishment here-?

Which could go from banning to locking the thread to deducting points, etc.
I'm worried that in making the system more complex to let people reply to critiques in the same thread, there's the risk of new users getting really confused, conversations developing (which would automatically award points to people who reply to the author), and also the risk of giving people a loophole to post work for free, which is what the entire point system is supposed to prevent.

To me, the cons really outweigh the pros, especially if there isn't anything in a reply that couldn't also be done in a PM.

Last edited by Andy; 07-10-2008 at 11:56 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:56 PM View Post #28 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

I'm worried that in making the system more complex to let people reply to critiques in the same thread, there's the risk of new users getting really confused and also the risk of giving people a loophole to post work for free, which is what the entire point system is supposed to prevent.
Perhaps go with the ideas you have for now, and if we complain too much when they're implemented, then break your back to make the system more complex. Although I suppose if you're very attentive and not afraid to punish, the whole posting-work-for-free shouldn't be too much of a problem. o.O

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 AM View Post #29 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Thanks for understanding. I will add an option to quote a critique in a PM, though.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 PM View Post #30 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

I'm discussing with Shaun the possibility of letting authors reply to their own work for only 1 point (a new thread costs 4-10). It's hardly anything. And the main culprits this system is trying to stop are the new members who post new threads without critting, not people who keep replying with more.