Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 07-03-2008, 01:51 AM View Post #11 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
That is a sweet idea! (Just being encouraging.)

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:58 PM View Post #12 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Just thought I'd give everyone an update on the progress. The points system is 80% finished. It counts all your bold and colored inline comments as well as comments you give outside of the quote tags, then awards points based on its length.

I'm working on the visuals right now. Messages telling you to critique more or how many more points you need, messages to get new users oriented, etc.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:53 PM View Post #13 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Do you need points to post new segments of your story? Or to make new story threads? Or both?

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM View Post #14 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carraka View Post
Do you need points to post new segments of your story? Or to make new story threads? Or both?
Both.

What we actually intend to do is not let people reply to their own things. That means if there's a new segment, you'll have to make a new thread. It's far more organized (you don't have lots of chapters, critiques for multiple chapters, and author's replies all mixed within the same thread). If you want to read a long story, you don't have to scroll through everything; you can just read the first post of each thread. And if you post a new chapter, the new thread means it'll appear in the New Literature link.

For convenience, I've added a button to search for chapters. If you're reading a story's chapter, it will display all the story's other chapters in order they were posted.

As for discussing stuff, you can always PM, Thank, or write on the wall of someone who critiqued your work. We're also making a new section solely for discussing member's stories in Literature.

Does that all sound good? Might take some getting used to, but Shaun and I think it will make everything easier.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 PM View Post #15 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Ah ... yeah ... I just organized everything to be linked to in my first post a few days ago.

You should've told me earlier. xD

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:24 PM View Post #16 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Imelda View Post
Sounds retarded to me, and makes the board look a mess ...

Plus I would hate not to be able to reply in-thread.
No, having all my chapters, plus people's critiques of chapters scattered through them, plus my responses to those chapters is what makes a board a mess.

For what reason would you have to reply in-thread, when there are already 3 others ways which don't involve clogging a critique thread?

Last edited by Andy; 07-10-2008 at 11:26 PM.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 PM View Post #17 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Although it will be very difficult for me to adapt, I do see an upside. I won't have to flip through the entire thread to find critiques related to one specific segment ...

Although since I have a lot of segments left to post, maybe fifty or more -- that still might be a bit ... much. Hey, could I have my own forum?

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:37 PM View Post #18 (Link)
Starry (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 28
I had all my story segments in separate threads, and Shaun made me change it to put them all in the same one! That just somewhat irritates me. And how are we going to change the big long threads back anyway?

Estara
Word Count: 49376/100000

~<3~
Old 07-10-2008, 11:41 PM View Post #19 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

I would also want EC to be separated into 22 threads, but then again, the effort involved doing that might not match the effort I would have to put into finding the correlating crits.

xP Sorry, starry.

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:46 PM View Post #20 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carraka View Post
Although it will be very difficult for me to adapt, I do see an upside. I won't have to flip through the entire thread to find critiques related to one specific segment ...

Although since I have a lot of segments left to post, maybe fifty or more -- that still might be a bit ... much. Hey, could I have my own forum?
Fifty or more? Wow.
Originally Posted by starryskyes View Post
I had all my story segments in separate threads, and Shaun made me change it to put them all in the same one! That just somewhat irritates me. And how are we going to change the big long threads back anyway?
Okay, I'll see if I can make separate threads an optional thing. Maybe it could be something left to the writer's own tastes. But if it's possible, it WILL cost points to reply to your own stuff. It wouldn't be fair to let someone get 10 points and then post chapter after chapter in the same thread.