Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 06-30-2008, 12:42 PM View Post #1 (Link) Plans For July 2008
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Times Thanked: 99
Ever since the beginning of the site, the Literature area has remained virtually unchanged. One thing we'd like to do is put more emphasis on Literature, as well as convenience, and giving it a slightly more productive feel than the Community.

New Submission/New Critique buttons

The first change, and by far the easiest, is to change the "New Thread/New Post" buttons in Literature to say "Submit Something/Critique This." Besides making it easier for new members to navigate, it'll help reinforce the fact that Literature is much more than just another casual discussion area.

^ This has already been done. Everything below has yet to happen.

Types of Critiques

At the moment, giving critiques can be messy. With the quotes, colored text, and everything in just one text box, it can be difficult to keep track of things. If possible, I'd like to implement a system where you can choose to write one of four types of critiques, and the site will present different layouts for each. Best-case scenario, they are:

• Template - answer some questions about the submission (recommended for new users)
  • General – Just a paragraph or two on my thoughts (fast, short and simple)
  • Inline—I’ll be able to comment on each paragraph/verse in a separate box (very organized)
  • Manual—Quotes, thoughts, colors—however I want to do it (for experienced users)
Here is a preview of what a Simple Template Critique would be like.

Navigation

We're planning some changes to the navigation bar at the top. Besides a few minor adjustments, I'd like to add Literature-specific links, like "New Literature," "New Critiques," "Critiques Needed," "Top-Rated," "Most Viewed," "Most Replied," etc.

Point System

To make sure everyone does their fair share of critiques, we're working on a new point system in which people get points based on their critique's length, and must spend points in order to post literature. Since this is a new thing, we intend to make it extremely lenient at the start, where one good critique will let you post one thing of your own. Unless you're someone who submits more things than you critique, this should not affect you at all.

Plans for Social Groups

When we did that big upgrade, we gained some new functionality for social groups, or "clubs" as we currently call them. The good news is that clubs will soon get their own page, with a wall, description, and a list of members. The bad news is that everyone will need to re-join the clubs they've already joined.

Last edited by Andy; 06-30-2008 at 01:39 PM.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Ichigo (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 32
Do the types of critiques really need to be that...organized?

PM me for Poetry crits!! I've been super neglectful of this site for so long. Put me to work.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:36 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ichigo View Post
Do the types of critiques really need to be that...organized?
"Manual" is exactly what we have now. But there will be other options available. Nobody will have to change the way they critique.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're saying. We're not forcing people to categorize their critiques. We're just adding other ways of doing critiques. Like this one, which is not possible at the moment.

Last edited by Andy; 06-30-2008 at 08:16 PM.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:44 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
Do you mean plans for my birthday?

Oh. That's cool too.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:49 PM View Post #5 (Link)
Ichigo (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 32
Yes we're going to have a massive celebration for your birthday.
It's going to be kick ass

Okay thanks Andy. I was a little confused I guess...

PM me for Poetry crits!! I've been super neglectful of this site for so long. Put me to work.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:13 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Rouge (Offline)
Wordsmith

Times Thanked: 227
Originally Posted by Ichigo View Post
Yes we're going to have a massive celebration for your birthday.
It's going to be kick ass

SWEET!!!

I knew that I was turning 16, but I didn't know you guys cared so much.

Well, at least Ichi does.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:02 PM View Post #7 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Just finished some of the navigation bar edits (no Literature ones yet). The User CP now has a drop-down list, and Web Stuff now has a link to the YWO Facebook group.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Phantom (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 13
Wow...
You
Didn't
Wish
Something
Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Carraka (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 121
Oh, yes. I noticed the User CP drop list and was like -- wait -- was this here before? Am I turning senile?

Could you add the Edit Signature option to the User CP drop list? As Overlady of both SBS threads, I constantly have to use that feature.

My mother is a fish.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Andy (Offline)
Administrator

Originally Posted by Carraka View Post
Oh, yes. I noticed the User CP drop list and was like -- wait -- was this here before? Am I turning senile?

Could you add the Edit Signature option to the User CP drop list? As Overlady of both SBS threads, I constantly have to use that feature.
You gave me a sweet idea. How about adding a user-customized link? Everyone can name their own link and direct it to wherever they want?

*Adds to Checklist*

Yeah, the User CP list is new, but most of its things were just moved from the Quick Links one, which was getting quite long.