Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 PM View Post #1 (Link) No One Stays :c
Maroon-Back 313 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 21
I know I'm not the only one to notice the number of posts in the Newbie Zone, the number of new users, who we never hear from again. Perhaps if we're lucky, we'll get two half-assed critiques and a story chapter that got critiqued, and then they argued with the poor critic.

I hate this.

We spend hours of our lives critiquing a piece that will never be looked at again, our advice never taken. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't critique for the points! I'm not even a prolific poster anymore. But when I do critique, it's because I wish to help, and I do the best job I can doing so. So why should that - coming from any of us - be wasted?

Now, I am not entirely unsympathetic. When I first arrived here last summer, I disappeared for a month or so because the site felt rather unwelcoming (and I also happened to read a terrifying critique by a user I will not name ... I'm still scared of receiving a critique from them O.o) and I thought the system very hard to understand.

But this coming and going especially kills me because when I returned, I returned because I had just started to realize what a close-knit community of critics and fellow authors could do to improve my skills as a writer. I returned because I love what I do - what we do - here. So I figure if any of these new users truly appreciate writing and the truly are dedicated to it, they will return. Still, I can't help but think that maybe some only leave because the site is intimidating (-cuts eyes at the scary critic-) or simply couldn't get their bearings here.

My solution - rather, my attempt at solving this issue - is that I've been trying very hard these last couple of days to introduce myself to all our new users and encourage them to ask questions to get the help they need. One such user, LokiLover, I spent significant time with and she promised me she would stick around. I am hoping she does.

My question to you guys. Is it a problem you think can be fixed by offering them guidance many of us didn't have anyway? Is it a problem that needs to be fixed? Because it's bugging me, personally. And if any newer users are reading this, please take it as a hint that I am ready and willing to help you along on this site, as are many others, I'm sure.

What to do guys? D:

Also, my twin Ji, I love you

Aly. I love you so much it's ridiculous go away. Except don't, I'd be lost without your affection, your support, your excellent reading material, and your friendship

Kel! Thank you for making me think with every conversation we have. Thank you for changing my perspective on so many aspects of life. It's incredible how you do that

Carr. You've been acknowledged ... xD You're awesome and morbid and talented and yup. There you go

Last edited by Maroon-Back 313; 03-29-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 02:44 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Faust (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 18
To be honest I think that we do try our best to be welcoming (Or at least I know I do) and it's really up to the newbies whether they want to join or not. For example look here this person has been welcomed very warmly yet if you look at their profile they haven't been on in several days. Whether they will be off permantly or not I do not know but still, my point still stands.

That's my opinion anyway.
Of course it is. It's resourceful. It is my inside demon after all."
-Skullduggery Pleasent.

I don't have delusions of grandeur, I have the recipe for grandeur

My ywo family
Ji- Wifey. I shall be yours for ever and not even Emma Waton can compare
Emma- Daughter.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Wig (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 102
I kinda find this annoying, but I normally just read the intro thread and sort the newbs into keepers and ones that'll probably never come back. Usually the ones that stick around have an interesting intro thread and seem more interested in the site than people who just post their story straight away and don't stick around to read the crits.

I don't think there's a problem that needs to be fixed, I mean, I'm sure this happens on a lot of sites. I guess it's a bit of a build up for newbies to become a stable member on this site, some of us are kinda scary. It took me a while to frequent coming on here, I never thought I'd stick around and yet look at me, I did.

The only thing I could say is don't critique people's work if they've not introduced themselves or if you don't think their crits are up to standard or if you just don't think they'll stick around.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:04 PM View Post #4 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
I like to ask newbies what they read. Once upon a time they all replied & we could talk. Then they stopped replying altogether, or, if they did, said they didn't read.

If the newb is really interested in the writing forum, he'll stay.

While I'm at it. A pet peeve of mine is newbs who post a poem-a-day in the writing forums, who don't take advice because they don't have the initiative. They don't know how to do it, put in practice, & they don't learn. Once upon a time you'd post a poem, take a good crit, then grow out from that doing your own research in guide threads & google, reading other crits. When you next posted you'd have internalized that advice, you'd have reworked the poem over and over, you'd have written more. You wouldn't nod your head in accordance with the advice & then post something equally bad. Where is the improvement.

Originally Posted by Wig View Post
The only thing I could say is don't critique people's work if they've not introduced themselves or if you don't think their crits are up to standard or if you just don't think they'll stick around.
I'd be as quick or quicker to crit someone who hasn't made a newb thread-- quicker, because they immediately headed over to the writing side of the forum. But PLEASE OH PLEASE YES don't crit someone who hasn't critted (well)! VM them saying you would crit them, but they haven't done any themselves-- every member sheriffing. We need to get rid of this It's So Good crap.

/end rant

Last edited by lalodragon; 03-29-2013 at 03:08 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:05 PM View Post #5 (Link)
lostbookworm (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 96
I'm just terrifying, aren't I Wig?

Basically, if they really want to write, they realise how helpful this site is for them and stick around, getting to know people and improving, or they leave because they don't listen to anyone and keep writing bad work, thus feeling that their egos aren't being massaged by good crits all the time. It's a matter of how willing they are to listen those wiser than them and to work towards being the greatest writer they can.

Simples.

Last edited by lostbookworm; 03-29-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Maroon-Back 313 (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 21
You guys reply so quickly, I love it. And yes I realize they will stay if they're dedicated ... it just bugs the hel out of me u_u Oh well, at least the users we do have are already helpful and like ... awesome xD (psst, this includes you guys)

Also, my twin Ji, I love you

Aly. I love you so much it's ridiculous go away. Except don't, I'd be lost without your affection, your support, your excellent reading material, and your friendship

Kel! Thank you for making me think with every conversation we have. Thank you for changing my perspective on so many aspects of life. It's incredible how you do that

Carr. You've been acknowledged ... xD You're awesome and morbid and talented and yup. There you go
Old 03-29-2013, 03:28 PM View Post #7 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
Just stalked thro the old noob threads: from around when bookworm joined, we have tops 4 names I recognize per page of threads (which a loose estimate of people who stayed). And back then every thread got replies, questions, love.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:35 PM View Post #8 (Link)
bookworm (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 151
Originally Posted by lalodragon View Post
Just stalked thro the old noob threads: from around when bookworm joined, we have tops 4 names I recognize per page of threads (which a loose estimate of people who stayed). And back then every thread got replies, questions, love.
Oh you.

I want to say basically what everyone else has before me - who wants to stick around will stick around. The people this site can help will know they want to stay. Of course we have to be nice and make sure the 'definately' story doesn't repeat itself, but we're not a party getting citizens to vote, we're a group of writers open to new people.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
They are like flies, they all die.

Originally Posted by lostbookworm View Post

Basically, if they really want to write, they realise how helpful this site is for them and stick around, getting to know people and improving, or they leave because they don't listen to anyone and keep writing bad work, thus feeling that their egos aren't being massaged by good crits all the time. It's a matter of how willing they are to listen those wiser than them and to work towards being the greatest writer they can.

If they have no motivation then there is no point making them stay, they are wasting their lives.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Wig (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 102
Originally Posted by lostbookworm View Post
I'm just terrifying, aren't I Wig?
How did you know I was talking about you, man?