SBS Mag

Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM View Post #1 (Link) My doodles
asclepias acida (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 25
Spoiler:

Drew this in October for my mommy.

Spoiler:

Drew this in November. It's a pregnant mermaid because apparently mermaids get pregnant like Pipa frogs.

Spoiler:

Drew this in February in art class with colored pencils. We were supposed to draw ourselves as half animal half human. Yeah.

Spoiler:

Drew this when I was bored in art class and didn't wanna do the art project.

Spoiler:

Doodled this a few days ago in class.

Doodlestthh
In case you can't tell, i freaking love mermaids.

poppies yet not bloomed.
tumblr
Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM View Post #2 (Link)
BoredHouseWife (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 3
You are really talented. I am taking it that you like mermaids. I wish I could draw unfortunately I am far from being able to draw. I really liked the colored pencil drawing you did.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 AM View Post #3 (Link)
Invixic (Offline)
Novice Writer

Times Thanked: 3
The doodles are good but their name defines them. They might be good now but they would be wonderful with a background (which will probably mean you'll have to color to draw water but still), especially those last two.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:40 PM View Post #4 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Scholarly Apprentice

Originally Posted by BoredHouseWife View Post
You are really talented. I am taking it that you like mermaids. I wish I could draw unfortunately I am far from being able to draw. I really liked the colored pencil drawing you did.
Thank you very much.

Originally Posted by Invixic View Post
The doodles are good but their name defines them. They might be good now but they would be wonderful with a background (which will probably mean you'll have to color to draw water but still), especially those last two.
Yeah I can't really do backgrounds unfortunately, and when I do them, I hate to color. I really really despise coloring. It's not my thing haha. >.> I only do it for art projects. I prefer working with monochrome. If you have suggestions for drawing water in monochrome, (Or drawing water at all, because it's really hard to do!) then I will be very very very happy.

poppies yet not bloomed.
tumblr
Old 03-18-2013, 12:30 AM View Post #5 (Link)
centerh20 (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
You are a very talented artist. I love the detail in your work. Very good! But i do agree with Invixic, that you should use backgrounds. If you don't think you are good at drawing backgrounds, practice makes perfect! You could practice by just drawing the backgrounds. You are very good at drawing and keep it up
Old 03-18-2013, 09:19 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Keladry (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 50
You and I must have completely different definitions of doodles; because this is not what I imagine being drawn down the side columns of a notebook. I'm calling them 'sketches'. Just so you know.

On the first sketch:
The composition is very good, and the shading around that eye and its expression are also good. The first real problem I see are the hands. They are very awkward; their angles are completely off. I mean, try holding your right hand the way it looks there in the picture-- it's possible, but it is not any sort of natural position and feels off. I understand that they are not supposed to be human hands; but they don't even match each other (one is pointy finger tips; the other is rounded). The connection between the hands and the arms is also rather sloppy compared to the rest of the sketch. I'm left unsure if that is supposed to be fur or some sort other sort of shading.

On the feet-- they look like the same foot. The only toe we can see on the right foot is the big toe; and the toe on the left foot is about the same size in proportion as it even though it ought to be smaller (as the pinky toe). The arch on the right foot should have a little more definition, also, given that it is the inside of the foot and angled slightly.

The only other major comment here is your flowers-- almost all of them that we can actually see are facing the same direction (toward us, the viewer) which takes away just a tad of the realism of it. (Yeah, fantasy's not real, but the ideal would be for it to seem as if it could be real)

If you were to go back and touch this sketch up a little, you should take a darker pencil (4B or 6B) and shade the dark spots in the background more. The dark in the background would add contrast, and really emphasis the figure.

On the pregnant mermaid:
Great concept-- I love how your mermaids aren't the traditional Ariel-type (despite the fact that Ariel is amazing); the uniqueness (if that's a word) adds a life to these sketches mine never seem to get. Which means I all have here are nitpicks.

The fin-spikes on the far side of the tail aren't right; we shouldn't be able to see them. I can tell because the ones towards the tip of the tail are all down sloping; but the last two point up.

The hair here blends into the left shoulder and it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins; it could use some more shadow. The arms and the tail both need some more depth and shading as well; don't forget to put some sort of shadow under the tail to help us place it in space.

You need more contrast here as well; just a quick once- over with a darker pencil; outline the underside of the mermaid where she touches the rock and some edges/ ripples in the tail fin to add that emphasis.

The one you drew in color for class:
After seeing the others you've posted, this looks like you didn't care about it as much. The feet are awkwardly placed (the left leg in particular) and the anatomy of the torso-- which I've been impressed with in the others-- is very wrong. The shoulder especially is too angled and large. Your left wing looks bigger than the right; I'd suggest as you're drawing you don't forget to stand back and judge your own piece for proportion. (Which you seem to do so effortlessly in the rest.)

The colored pencil use looks like you were running out of time or something; the strokes are too long and they haven't been blended as well as they should.

On the rock that's furthest back in the background, you use a very yellow and orange highlight. That same color combination would do very well on the headpiece to give it that third dimension it's currently missing.

The shy mermaid:
This is how I know you can do anatomy of torso and hands. Good job. Also you finally have some contrast in the transition between bottom and tail; keep that going.

I can't tell at all what the smudge between her arms is; it's too large to be her breast and in the wrong spot to be her right arm, so either define it or erase it, depending on if you put it there on purpose or not. Everything you draw should look intentional, it's how you convince people you're actually good at the stuff.

Where her tail fin goes over the back I love the transparency but it needs to be pushed further-- don't forget you can use an eraser to pull out those high highlights.

The back of her head needs more shading.

The whole background thing, here-- I don't think that sketches like these need a full background, and of course not as detailed as the first composition. But they do need some kind of placement, some sense of space that the last two don't have right now. In the pregnant mermaid picture the outline of the rock is enough for me and that's really all you need here, unless you're in the mood to go detailed.

The last picture:
Pay attention to the hands again. If you practice in your sketches it will be easier come time to do full artworks.

The stomach is off-- it looks like the gap where the rib-cage ends is even with the belly button. Try palpating yourself-- that bump should be at least two or three inches up from the belly button.

And the tail and hair... It's obvious you're talented but those two elements look like a beginner. You do not have to draw every scale or strand of hair, and you shouldn't. Pretty much ever. Sketch/ doodle/ or not. And if you do for whatever reason, then the scales need to curve with the tail-- not be straight lines up and down. You've pretty much lost all sense of depth and natural-ness by doing that.

The only positive thing I have to say about technique in the last one is that the sharp definition in the lines is something your other examples lack.

Overall/ random stuff:
I like your style. And the way you present your subject matter has so much personality-- every one of those pictures had expression to them. (Even if the last is a little iffy.) Now you need to work on technique. You can't forget about all that classroom stuff just because it's only a sketch. You don't need to like, focus and concentrate on it the whole time, but you do need to stop and look every once in a while while you draw and notice things like the size is off or it needs more contrast.

Have you seen anything by Angela R. Sasser? She has a kind of similar mixture of fantasy as you; she's a bit commercial I think but her stuff is worth looking up.

With your preference for monochrome don't forget to add in the colors near to it on the color wheel. Like with the red one you did for class; you could use yellow and purple and it would still come off as monochrome red. The purple especially would add depth. Then you can add in the smallest touches of green (red's compliment) to specific spots to really bring it to life.

Water is always hard to draw-- if you're trying all I could tell you is do lots of homages to famous water artists and study pictures of it. It's okay to copy pictures of water for practice, you should do so.

Last thought-- I was drawing a mermaid, myself, in Economics a few days ago, and the teacher came up and asked how come nobody ever drew mermen? So I was curious-- do you draw mermen, too, very often?

Um. Some of what I'm talking about might be confusing 'cause I can't just highlight it like text-- don't be afraid to ask me anything.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:44 PM View Post #7 (Link) This post is a reply - don't critique it
Scholarly Apprentice

I draw mermen occasionally but I just don't really like to draw men in general. Thank you for your critique. The last sketch wasn't supposed to look natural, I did that hair and tail thing on purpose. It's supposed to look flat and almost japanese-style-ish. GAh your critique was very helpful hahaha thank you very much. C:

poppies yet not bloomed.
tumblr
Old 02-10-2014, 06:00 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 88
I had a great pleasure looking at your works, they are fresh and original and performed not without a talent. If you are going to work hard on painting I think your pictures will be owned by world one blessed day.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 02-20-2014, 03:23 AM View Post #9 (Link) This post contains more of my work
Scholarly Apprentice

Originally Posted by Georgy View Post
I had a great pleasure looking at your works, they are fresh and original and performed not without a talent. If you are going to work hard on painting I think your pictures will be owned by world one blessed day.
aw thank you

some new doodles:
Spoiler:

fairy warrior

Spoiler:

contour drawing in theory of knowledge notebook

Spoiler:

doodle in theory of knowledge notebook

Spoiler:

another contour drawing in theory of knowledge notebook

i draw more than i write in that class

poppies yet not bloomed.
tumblr
Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 AM View Post #10 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 88
Hi, Ida! Most of all I liked "the treble-headed" woman. For me it is a metaphor of present Ukraine. One heard is looking at Europe and West, the other heard - at Russia and East, and the third head - at Bendera and Ukraine Nazi.
Well, i understand, you meant nothing of the sort but the power of art is that everyone can make its own interpretation of it. You gladdened my sour and surly early morning heart
thanks a lot!
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders