Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 03-05-2013, 09:34 AM View Post #1 (Link) Poetry and Critique Camps
A23N (Offline)
Banned

Times Thanked: 8
I remember we had these on TW as well. And they're a good idea.

Basically, everybody who enrolls as a student to said camp gets a personal thread in that sub-forum, and is assigned a tutor/mentor/guide. He then posts all of his poetry/critiques in that thread, and the mentor helps him in that thread itself.

I recommend this, because I benefited greatly from them myself. Having an experienced person directly communicate with you with the sole aim of making you better has a greater impact than normal critiques. It'll also eventually help the quality of writing/critiquing on the site.

Is anybody up for it?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
I think it would be awesome to do something that resembles the old camps or even a more intense workshop. The trouble with the camps is that they take a lot of effort, and you need to have a couple of mentors around who are active and available. Once upon a time that was the case on the other forum, and the poetry camp ran well. When I tried to run the poetry camp all by myself it didn't work out so hot. So while I'd love to start up poetry camps again, I don't have the time and energy to make it happen on my own, and I think I'd need at least two and maybe three other people who were willing to participate in order to make it work.

I tried a variation on the camp over the summer that I thought would be more easily sustainable by one person ... and that wasn't sustainable either. What do you think of that approach? Could that be done on the forum soon, and do you think its valuable? Basically, I think that for this system to work and be worth putting in place on this forum we need to line up a pool of people who will be in charge of stuff, actively posting prompts or advice. It sounds like you'd be down to put in the work.

One thing that might be valuable if a camp or workshop starts up again is to have everyone who's facilitating something chat and get on the same page; that way, if someone goes out of town or has a lot of schoolwork to do, they can hand their part over to someone else for a few days.

I also think it would be cool to do an intense, real life style poetry workshop for a while, where everybody's got to write something or post something they've written every week, and then critique X number of pieces. It would be on the forum but it would be run sort of like a creative writing class where you read your piece and everybody gives you comments (except better). A lot of us tend to critique each other's work anyway, but it might help the poetry community here as a whole get better acquainted, and hopefully it would pull in members who write poetry seriously, or want to, but maybe don't post on the main writing forum as often.

Do you think that you'd learn and get stuff out of doing a workshop? What format do you think might work?

Last edited by Isis; 03-05-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Spacepirate (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 99
Boo poets. Where are all my prose homies at? I wouldn't mind helping prose; or poetry actually. (Isis can testify to my poetry skills!) I'm all for something akin to the camps on TW; I think those are very useful. People can ask to be in the camps, but I think if we spot potential we can also ask them to join.

EDIT: Eurgh, totally changed my original post but I agree with Derezzination below. It would be really something to get the prose section of the site up to the standards that poetry currently occupies.

Last edited by Spacepirate; 03-05-2013 at 05:08 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Derezzination (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 74
Originally Posted by Spacepirate View Post
Boo poets. Where's all my prose homies at?

But actually, not to sound self-inflated, I think I could do poetry also.
You gave up the fight too quickly.

I was actually thinking this would be good for newbies who stick around, but only if they stay, I feel way too many run away like flies.

Support Prose.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:04 PM View Post #5 (Link)
A23N (Offline)
Banned

Times Thanked: 8
Spoiler:
Originally Posted by Isis View Post
I think it would be awesome to do something that resembles the old camps or even a more intense workshop. The trouble with the camps is that they take a lot of effort, and you need to have a couple of mentors around who are active and available. Once upon a time that was the case on the other forum, and the poetry camp ran well. When I tried to run the poetry camp all by myself it didn't work out so hot. So while I'd love to start up poetry camps again, I don't have the time and energy to make it happen on my own, and I think I'd need at least two and maybe three other people who were willing to participate in order to make it work.

I tried a variation on the camp over the summer that I thought would be more easily sustainable by one person ... and that wasn't sustainable either. What do you think of that approach? Could that be done on the forum soon, and do you think its valuable? Basically, I think that for this system to work and be worth putting in place on this forum we need to line up a pool of people who will be in charge of stuff, actively posting prompts or advice. It sounds like you'd be down to put in the work.

One thing that might be valuable if a camp or workshop starts up again is to have everyone who's facilitating something chat and get on the same page; that way, if someone goes out of town or has a lot of schoolwork to do, they can hand their part over to someone else for a few days.

I also think it would be cool to do an intense, real life style poetry workshop for a while, where everybody's got to write something or post something they've written every week, and then critique X number of pieces. It would be on the forum but it would be run sort of like a creative writing class where you read your piece and everybody gives you comments (except better). A lot of us tend to critique each other's work anyway, but it might help the poetry community here as a whole get better acquainted, and hopefully it would pull in members who write poetry seriously, or want to, but maybe don't post on the main writing forum as often.

Do you think that you'd learn and get stuff out of doing a workshop? What format do you think might work?

I think if we rally hard we might get 3-4 mentors who'd be willing to put the effort in. Though they(we) won't be the same quality as ReccyV, you, Hypo and Arthur-Dent, but I reckon we still might be able to help people.

The poetry workshop sounds much more doable though. I'm up for it, provided we get enough participation from new members who are here to stay. We've had quite a few of them recently in the heater lady and acida, but we need more.

I seriously think we should do this. It'll be worth the effort if we can get something resembling the old camps running again.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:10 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 115
I think there were plans for camps in the works a while ago. I know that Rose was going to start up critique camps (that was why we made the critique sheriffs) but she's become inactive and that idea kind of died with her, too.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:54 PM View Post #7 (Link)
bookworm (Offline)
Creative Fanatic

Times Thanked: 151
I really like your workshop idea, Isis. I think it's better than mentoring for now because most of us are writing on a similar level. I'm not sure it would make new writers stay either; it requires a lot of courage, and the 'brave' people that would be ready to enter would be just as likely to ask one of us on their own, without anything official going on. We can always offer it when critiquing people with potential. I don't think it needs to be organised in the way other workshops and camps do.

Of course the workshop might 'die' just like the summer camp did, but I think it's worth another try. I'm also under the impression we have more poets than last year. I prefer the creative writing approach to that of the previous camp because poetry discussions are in process all the time and can be done as separate threads at any point (I found those discussions messy because there were a thousand things going on in one thread). But the new idea would encourage to write and help improve writing as well as critiquing - which is, of course, one of the main aims of the forum.

Last edited by bookworm; 03-05-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 AM View Post #8 (Link)
moonlight (Offline)
Idea Scribe

Times Thanked: 10
I'm already in. (as a student, of course.)
It seems a really good idea but you guys confused me a lil' in the end. Anyhow, I'm willing to participate.
And if anything like this occur. Vm me.

Frost.

My Blog! - http://teenspeakz.blogspot.in/

Last edited by moonlight; 03-06-2013 at 04:01 AM.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:59 PM View Post #9 (Link)
Shaun (Offline)
Dead Person

Times Thanked: 142
Pretty much what Lykaios said. We need people willing to put the time into it, and that, unfortunately, is difficult to come by, since most of our members are in school, etc. etc. etc.

Tumblr!

Read my published fiction and non-fiction!

And check out The World in the Satin Bag novel podcast. Help me become rich and donate!

My Random Stuff:
--The World in the Satin Bag: My science fiction, fantasy, and writing blog!
--Check out Cheese & Crackers Original and Cheese & Crackers Superheroes
--The Skiffy and Fanty Show
--Duke and Zink Do America (Political Podcast)

YWO Stuff:
--Buy Survival By Storytelling Magazine (Issue One is available!) Support fellow YWO writers!
--And don't forget to buy something from YWO's Zazzle Store!
--Follow YWO on Twitter.

Spoiler:
This is a call to arms, gather soldiers,
Time to go to war.
This is a battle song, brothers and sisters,
Time to go to war.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:09 PM View Post #10 (Link)
Isis (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 355
Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
I really like your workshop idea, Isis. I think it's better than mentoring for now because most of us are writing on a similar level. I'm not sure it would make new writers stay either; it requires a lot of courage, and the 'brave' people that would be ready to enter would be just as likely to ask one of us on their own, without anything official going on. We can always offer it when critiquing people with potential. I don't think it needs to be organised in the way other workshops and camps do.
This is why I'm into the workshop idea; I learn alot when I'm mentoring, but it's not the same as learning from peers (or having a more back and forth exchange with someone I'm mentoring) -- and I want to spend time learning and improving too. If we end up doing a workshop, I'd like to make it forum-members only somehow (so we can workshop stuff we want to publish) but visible to people who aren't active members of the workshop - I'd want it to be something that intrepid new people can join.

It sounds like we have enough people interested that we could get something going over the next few weeks or month. What format is everyone most interested in trying?

Last edited by Isis; 03-06-2013 at 03:31 PM.