Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 12-01-2016, 12:25 AM View Post #1 (Link) What is the difference in Academic Writing and Creative Writing?
pavisb (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
Hi all,

I wonder what is the difference between academic writing and creative writing. If we are going to talk about the same thing, such as literature, how are we going to make our written pieces different and unique? ..and how does the tone/voice contribute to the style of our writing?

Thank you for your answer!
Old 12-31-2016, 09:13 AM View Post #2 (Link)
rogerafrance (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Academic writing is a style of writing governed by rules and practices such as a formal structure and order, citations for research to support ideas, and the use of correct spelling, grammar and punctuation. A formal tone is also necessary and Creative writing is any writing that goes outside the bounds of normal professional, journalistic, academic, or technical forms of literature, typically identified by an emphasis on narrative craft, character development, and the use of literary tropes or with various traditions of poetry and poetics.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:41 PM View Post #3 (Link)
flynncade (Offline)
Literary Newbie

In simple words, creative writing is an art form which can be personal experiences, story telling, a fictional theme, or anything that comes out from a writer's creativity. On the other hand, academic writing is organized as well as follows certain formats. It should be written in a particular way where it wants to be.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:53 AM View Post #4 (Link)
Steve Collins (Offline)
Literary Newbie

The only purpose of academic writing is to provide knowledge. It is more about data and information about the subject. Creative writing is for entertaining, it is about fantasy.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 AM View Post #5 (Link)
Georgy (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 87
It depends on percentage of a writer's creative power: if creative power is above fifty percent a writer tends to creative writing; and if it is less than fifty percent a writer is prone to stick to academic writing.
Dabs
"I believe we stand together to address the real issues facing this country, not allow them to divide us by race or where we come from. Let's create an America that works for all of us, not the handful on top." Senator B.Sanders
Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 AM View Post #6 (Link)
Bloggerscott (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Originally Posted by Georgy View Post
It depends on percentage of a writer's creative power: if creative power is above fifty percent a writer tends to creative writing; and if it is less than fifty percent a writer is prone to stick to academic writing.
Yes, totally agree with, I also want to say you that before start writing you should have a clear concept of your story. To have the quantity I also advice you to practice.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:31 PM View Post #7 (Link)
DavidButt (Offline)
Novice Writer

Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
The only purpose of academic writing is to provide knowledge. It is more about data and information about the subject. Creative writing is for entertaining, it is about fantasy.
I fully agree with you
Old 07-17-2017, 09:56 AM View Post #8 (Link)
DavidButt (Offline)
Novice Writer

I'm working at the Essayshark company which provides writing services for students. I would like to add a little, that teaching academic writing in English is a difficult task. Mostly for students, it is. The difficulty in studying the academic writing is that it is necessary to study it in aggregate: academic reading, discussions, evaluation, and interpretation of the presented information.
Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM View Post #9 (Link) Re: What is the difference in Academic Writing and Creative Writing?
TommyWilliams (Offline)
Novice Writer

Style is the chief difference between academic and creative writing according to https://collegepaperworld.net. Creative writing need not adhere to any specific style parameters while academic writing needs to be structured and executed adhering to a series of guidelines.