Store
Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Old 04-11-2017, 05:36 PM View Post #1 (Link) Is there anywhere that I can read/watch this kind of stuff?
ChristianJohnson (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Times Thanked: 0
I like icky stuff, but I don't like horror. I don't like the horror attitude. I don't like, "Here's a creature. It's slimy and icky and asymmetrical. It eats blood. Run!". Can I demonstrate what it is I like so I can show you what I am talking about?

Imagine a string and wind orchestra made of flesh and bone. Imagine violins made of wood that is still alive that have tendon strings over them. Fingers grow from the neck and an arm with exposed tendons from the body so it can play. The other strings are just bigger versions of this. Imagine a flute made of bone with little fingers on the sides, one for every hole. Imagine a dedicated pair of lungs on each flute and bassoon and a diaphragm to pull in air. Now, imagine a destitute conductor who pours all his passion into his orchestra and goes to the point of feeding it rather than himself.

Where can I read more stuff like this?

Biotechnology sci-fi doesn't satisfy; it usually focuses on hard stuff that can actually happen, like IVF being the norm instead of the alternative. That's boring. That's not fantastical, like a tree that grows eyeballs. Why can't it be like other science fiction that doesn't care about real science?

Last edited by ChristianJohnson; 04-12-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Old 04-23-2017, 04:16 AM View Post #2 (Link)
miss_smiley (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Location: Not sure... but it's dark and hot and smells of...burning...
Times Thanked: 33
Pan's Labyrinth.

Aside from that, no idea.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:48 PM View Post #3 (Link)
ChristianJohnson (Offline)
Literary Newbie

Ugh, not that one.

But seriously, imagine a mountain made out of flesh, and a plane crashing into one of its eyes. The mountain's eye tears up, and the tears flow into a depression in the fleshy mountain. Some teenagers go up to the mountain and start a pool party in the tears. The mountain wants those durned kids to get off his lawn.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:11 PM View Post #4 (Link)
Lykaios (Offline)
Red-name-person

Times Thanked: 114
You might like Neil Gaiman? He writes a lot of weird/icky semi-horror stuff. Stardust has a mutilated unicorn, Neverwhere has two comedic torturers and plenty of disgusting stuff, and even Ocean at the End of the Lane has a fair amount of weird icky stuff, like a worm growing in a boy's foot. His short stories might be up your street, too. I haven't read American Gods and Anansi boys, and they're more adult I think, but I imagine they've got plenty more weird/scary/icky stuff.

Also, if you're a bit younger, the Reckless series by Cornelia Funke's got some Grimm-style weird/grossness you might like, and they get better as they go on.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:40 PM View Post #5 (Link)
miss_smiley (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Location: Not sure... but it's dark and hot and smells of...burning...
Times Thanked: 33
^ This. Also, Paul Jennings is a good bet. He's a little elementary, but he's haunting.
You'd probably also enjoy Welcome to Nightvale, which is a podcast (and a book).
Old 07-15-2017, 07:24 AM View Post #6 (Link)
tangomaria (Offline)
Novice Writer

agree with Neil Gaiman

@miss_smiley I was actually going to suggested Reckless too haha. it's not THAT creepy/icky tho
Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM View Post #7 (Link) Re: Is there anywhere that I can read/watch this kind of stuff?
TommyWilliams (Offline)
Novice Writer

It doesn't really matter what kind of stuffs we used to. It's all about how we make something out of it.