Support YWO
YWO Merchandise
The Book Despository
Amazon.com (US)
Amazon.co.uk (UK)
Amazon.ca (Canada)

SBS Mag

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 02:36 PM View Post #1 (Link) World War Three.
Callum (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 0
Well, I think I've got this in the right spot.

In the twentieth century two of the largest wars to exist were fought, World War One and World War Two. (Go figure, right?). Quite a number of years have passed, technology has advanced, and tension levels between countries around the world have sure as hell heightened. Another war on the scale of these past two is somewhat, inevitable. Whether or not it will be in the very near future or in another hundred years, the fact remains chances are it'll happen.

So, thoughts? Who fights who? Why? Who are the leading players? Who comes out on top? Will it go Nuclear? What roles will some of the smaller countries play? Will there be a new super power? I don't know. Just trying to think of questions to help get you started really. Yeah.

I think it's a given but just to clear it up, I don't want people saying 'america pwns all' or 'china will mob everyone with numbers'. Back your shit up. Don't just reply with one, incoherent sentence. Think things through, make sure there's some decent, logical reasoning behind what you're saying.

So yeah. Discuss.

Spoiler:
We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught. He can be killed and forgotten. But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.
- V for Vendetta.

Spoiler:
I walk fearless with a mind far greater than your fucking fist!
- 'Armed With A Mind' by the band Have Heart.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM View Post #2 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 83
I believe it'll start with Asia vs Western powers based on my (very uneducated) guess that North Korea will want to start something. When the previous N. Korean leader died and had his son replace him, the whole world went on alert because we don't know the guy and we don't know how he would act. Every public action N. Korea does is always observed carefully by every other power. The border between North and South Korea is also the most heavily militarized zone in the world.

North Korea has also bashed this idea into its people saying that there should only be one Korea and it will be theirs and it will be a bloody takeover. If you search Vice videos on youtube, you can see how happy they are when they say that they'll takeover South Korea.

Sorry if my sentences are incoherent, I'm exhausted and I can feel the chicken McNuggets from yesterday...

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?

Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 PM View Post #3 (Link)
Peppermental (Offline)
Aspiring Author

Times Thanked: 137
Nukes go pow
[Jack] Caleb <3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Jack] 333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Jack] 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Faust] Caleb!
[Rose] CALEB!
[Jack] 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Peppermental] so jack.
[Jack] 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
[Jack] 33333333
[Jack] 3
[Fi] CALEB!
[Rose] I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUU

Old 08-21-2012, 09:04 PM View Post #4 (Link)
OrionRising (Offline)
Scholarly Apprentice

Times Thanked: 21
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
So, thoughts? Who fights who? Why? Who are the leading players? Who comes out on top? Will it go Nuclear? What roles will some of the smaller countries play? Will there be a new super power? I don't know. Just trying to think of questions to help get you started really. Yeah.
Who fights who: vs and vs

Reason:

Leading players:

Who comes out on top:

Roles of smallre countries:

new super power:

lolz spam

Witting Poetry

Just because there isn't much there doesn't mean it isn't worth a quick read!

Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 AM View Post #5 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
I was at a typical social gathering with my friends back in college, and one of them was talking about a hypothetical World War III with jetpacks. So my girlfriend gasps and goes, "Wait--they used jetpacks in World War III?"

It's okay though. She then realized what she had said.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:36 PM View Post #6 (Link)
Callum (Offline)
Abstract Thinker

Times Thanked: 0
Originally Posted by Bowie20049 View Post
I believe it'll start with Asia vs Western powers based on my (very uneducated) guess that North Korea will want to start something. When the previous N. Korean leader died and had his son replace him, the whole world went on alert because we don't know the guy and we don't know how he would act. Every public action N. Korea does is always observed carefully by every other power. The border between North and South Korea is also the most heavily militarized zone in the world.

North Korea has also bashed this idea into its people saying that there should only be one Korea and it will be theirs and it will be a bloody takeover. If you search Vice videos on youtube, you can see how happy they are when they say that they'll takeover South Korea.

Sorry if my sentences are incoherent, I'm exhausted and I can feel the chicken McNuggets from yesterday...
I am much of the same opinion.
However I think that Japan will make an appearance after their rather large humiliation in, was it WWII? I always forget.

On a side note: ~Fail discussion is fail~

Spoiler:
We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught. He can be killed and forgotten. But four hundred years later an idea can still change the world.
- V for Vendetta.

Spoiler:
I walk fearless with a mind far greater than your fucking fist!
- 'Armed With A Mind' by the band Have Heart.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:51 PM View Post #7 (Link)
ScottyMcGee (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 176
I don't think North Korea will be involved in anything. I think it's a myth that they are powerful. Yes, they're fucking crazy. But they're the equivalent to hillbillies in the Deep South shooting up beer cans with their rifles. Do you know how fucked North Korea would be if they successfully blow someone up? Sure there's a chance, but THE ENTIRE FUCKING WORLD WILL BE ON ITS ASS. If anything, they'll just screw around with South Korea again.

North Korea is the goofiest government on earth. A lot of its citizens believe Kim Jong-il's father created the world and can control the weather. Since they severed all ties with everybody else, they have little in terms of technological advancement. They have the nukes, yes, but they can't even shoot them right.

North Korea has been reduced to the angry Youtube commenter who complains about the rest of the world, and your daily news will gladly put it up for everybody to see. In a NY Times article a couple months ago, they wrote about how North Korea was bitching about something Hilary Clinton said. It was the most inane thing to write about, a complete waste of paper.

Oh, look! North Korea hates the Western World! In other news, dicks go inside vaginas!

Terrorism is relatively dead, as I learned from my Modern Middle East class. That whole fad has gone to shit with all the revolutions and uprisings going on now in that area.

I think, if anything, Europe will be screwed with something again. I remember vaguely a while back that whole deal with Russia and Georgia was it? Someone jog my memory.

Last edited by ScottyMcGee; 08-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM View Post #8 (Link)
Bowie20049 (Offline)
Freelance Writer

Times Thanked: 83
If not Korea, then Israel then?

And I don't think Japan will be involved in the war outside of giving us supplies. Yes, they were humiliated badly in WWII, but they're also too comfortable with where they are now (aside from the more-old-people-than-young-people-so-their-economy-makes-ours-look-like-we're-swimming-in-gold situation). They also have nearly no armed forces there.

Click Me
Originally Posted by Young Writers Online View Post
i before e except after c unless e before i because forget you that's why

ಠ_ಠ Did you know that: I has an anime list /人◕‿‿◕人\?

Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM View Post #9 (Link)
lalodragon (Offline)
Global Moderator

Times Thanked: 193
North Korea: neurotic and depressed.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 AM View Post #10 (Link)
thecollector (Offline)
Novice Writer

Location: I am only a figment of your imagination. Dismiss me as such.
Times Thanked: 65
Originally Posted by Bowie20049 View Post
If not Korea, then Israel then?
I doubt Israel would anything. Yes, they have a strong army (For where they are, they have to.), but they seem more of an internal conflict than an external threat.

My theory:

World War III would probably be fought over resources. Let's face it; we live in a world now that has gone from fighting over lands to expand borders to now wars over politics. Vietnam, for instance, was a very political war. I won't deny that it didn't involve massive amounts of ground work, but a large part of it was politics. You saw it again in Iraq where we invoked the same kind of exit strategy as used in Vietnam.

So, what do politics have to do with it? Everything. Politics are involved in every country relation. Right now, we're currently getting oil from the Middle East (By the way, I'm from the USA if you can't tell by now.), and every country is dependent on one another. Technology from Asia is shipped everywhere in the world. Lots of people from Canada come to the USA for medical coverage. While some of these things might seem minuscule, the countries are all dependent one another.

It is because of this that I believe one day our resources we ship to one another will run out. There are many markets trying to create alternatives to fossil fuels, for instance, but those alternatives either burn food or do not provide enough power yet. So, we all need these precious resources to keep daily life in our countries going. When those run scarce, we're going to start having not so friendly relations with one another.

So, that's my prediction. Granted, I have not studied the world extensively, but AP US History has taught me some things... :S

I have two guesses as to which resources would most likely be fought over:
Oil
Water

"One day, I'd like to be the last remaining magical thing in this un-magical world. Right now, I could be anything; a powder keg or a box of cornflakes. But one day, I'll be magic, and magic will suit me as I explode in every direction like a fire cracker in a box of crayons."
- The Psychotherapy of a Teddy Bear Strangler

Closed Thread